“The Real Deal BBQ”

Booker's BBQ Grill & Crab Shack
Reserve with OpenTable
Booker's BBQ Grill & Crab Shack is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #238 of 3,529 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Barbecue, Cajun & Creole, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 3rd Street SE
Description: Bookers BBQ + Crab Shack brings an authentic Southern atmosphere to Calgary with a comfortable, upbeat dining and drinking experience. Located in a century-old brick warehouse, Bookers is a hidden gem at the gateway to Calgary’s East Village. Seasoned BBQ chefs slow smoke over 200 lbs of Alberta chicken, beef, and pork every day and serve it alongside fresh seafood, local produce, signature cocktails, and original, house made sauces and rubs. Bookers is Calgary’s oldest BBQ institution where freedom and fun are ingrained in the culture, kitchen and guest experience.
Calgary
“The Real Deal BBQ”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

If you watched Bar makeover, this is what it looks like after professionals make a restaurant. Big wall of T.Vs by the bar, big tables with lots of room, you may see empty tables but they take reservations and thats awesome for groups or to know you can get a table friday or sat night.
With a REAL smoker, (that they named but i cant remember) Great smoked taste ribs and perfect brisket, I have ate real BBQ in Texas and NewOrleans and anywhere i can and Bookers
delivered.Our waitress and attentive.
Menu is well lade out and awesome selection and GOOD PRICES!
Just to top it all off!! A live band, with a nice stage and excellent sound quality, the Blues band Rocked and we danced all night, they all do vocals and love what they do!
We went for friends 20th anniversary and it was a perfect place to go and will go back for sure!
Good food great prices, clean, nice atmosphere, warm and inviting, book as a group or couple you wont be disappointed we had a great time.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank allen(Ayan)

Billings, Montana
“Just not that good”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was looking for someplace different to eat so I walked the 5 blocks from my hotel to Bookers. I was alone and was advised that there were no tables available and that I would have to eat at the bar. (Which was odd because there were at least 10 tables that were empty the entire time I was there!) I asked the hostess a couple of times if I could have a table instead sitting at the bar but she insisted there was nothing available. In fairness the bartendes (didn't catch her name) was very courteous and attentive.
I ordered a Shrimp Po' Boy that was fairly good and side of Jalepeno Mac & Cheese. The Mac & Cheese was very soupy and didn't have much flavor other than being really spicy. The quality of the noodles looked the same as the Mac and Cheese that I make out of a box for my 7 year old niece. The Jalapeno was diced in fairly big chunks so you might get several bites with nothing and then a bite that sets your mouth on fire.
The food was very expensive for the quality and serving size. The atmosphere was actually pretty neat but I was soured on it from the poor service from the hostess. I am in Calgary for business for three more weeks but I will not be returning to Bookers.

Calgary, Canada
“A good time”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Don't be put off by the sketchy looking exterior - inside is a great casual vibe and pleasant atmosphere.

From reading all the previous reviews on TripAdvisor I was worried what the service would be like, but it was fine. Our server was pretty good about making sure we were ok for drinks and everything else. (The only instance of poor service was when we got our appetizers but weren't given plates, cutlery or napkins and had to flag someone down before we could start - we didn't have to wait long though.)

The food was very good. A little pricey maybe for you what you get, but worth it. They went a little heavy on the hot sauce in my Shrimp Po'Boy, but it was still tasty. The crab was wonderful.

I'd come back again on a Sunday or Monday to get the all you can eat crab and cocktails (their take on a Lynchburg Lemonade was delicious.)

A fun place to go with family or friends.

Calgary
“Valentines day”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

On arrival to our reservation we found it half empty ( not a good sign) we were put on the second floor next to the washrooms with toiler paper and paper towels on the hallway floor and steps. The manager and staff walked by several times and never bothered to pick any of it up or have some one else clean it up. The bathrooms were disgusting. Service was slow as she had to go up a huge flight of stairs every time. This could have been avoided by having us stay on the main floor like everyone else.
We ordered crab cakes which came slightly warm at best, we had to ask for water and our drinks several times. They did not have limes for our drinks at all. Seems they ran out at 630 and didn't feel the need to go and get more for the evening clients, In a bar?
We sent back the crab cakes as they were uneatable and they never even offered to remake them or take them off the bill.
We ordered a rack of ribs with apple butter BBQ sauce again it was slightly warm and dry with no sauce on the ribs or on the side.
The deep fried pickles were hot and very good. So much so that my wife ended up eating tem all. Our friends ordered crab which was also very good and hot.
I was not pleased with the quality of the food, I have gotten better food off a food truck and I would not recommend Booker's to any one!

Calgary, Canada
“Love the atmosphere”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The food isn't always consistent. The last time I was there the food was cold and the service was slow. I would give them another chance though.