“A Taste Of India!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Ii have been eating at the Taj for more than 30 years and have NEVER been disappointed. The food is always fresh and delicious. The nan break will make your mouth water.
Because I am a regualr customer, I was lucky enough to be taken into the kitchen and shown how the nan was made!

Take advantage of some of their buffets...definitely worth it.
I highly recommend the Tan Mahal restaurant if you want a true taste of great Indian food.

2  Thank Maria D

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I ate here one night with colleagues from work. The food was excellent and the portions were generous. I have limited experience with Indian food so I followed the lead of others and ordered conservatively. Some of the dishes are very spicy. This is definitely a place I will return to should I find myself in Calgary again.

1  Thank James F
Reviewed December 1, 2012

There are lots of Indian Food Restaurants to choose from. They could improve a little on their decor. The food was fine, but nothing exceptional. Still it is fine for what you pay.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

My cousin and I went to the Taj last Thurs for a nice meal.Unfortunately the buffet wasn't on (I think it's on only Sat nights and during lunch) so my cousin started ordering. We had vegetable samosas, lamb samosas, chicken pankora, and some sort of vegetable that looked like it was thrown in the deep fryer. We got 2 sauces with the appetizers, a hot mint one and a sweet mango sauce, and both were exceptional. Afterwards we got the main courses: lamb korma, butter chicken, beef curry, 2 basmatis and about 3 kinds of breads. The main courses all came in pretty small servings which was kind of a shocker when you're paying over $12 per dish, plus you would have to order the rice separately. We also had a drink on top of that and the bill was a whopping $116. But I have to say the food was really good in spite of the sizes they came in and we had a small little leftover bag when we did leave but not much. I'd say go for the buffet (I'm sorry, I don't know how much they are) and at least you'll get your full quota of food. The restaurant itself is located in the basement of the building and you have to park in the back of the restaurant for easy access. It's dark and small but it is quiet.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The Taj Mahal has undergone a lot of cosmetic facelifts lately. They've repainted, gotten new tableware, and really cleaned the place up. Thankfully they haven't changed the food, which is some of the best Indian cuisine in Calgary. Their lunch buffet is excellent, well labelled and you get a ton of variety for a great price. They also serve nan bread tableside now, which is a huge improvement (they used to keep it in the buffet on the steam table, and while it tasted great, the texture got a bit soggy - having it fresh to the table makes a massive difference).

4  Thank elborto