“good ramin noodles and sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Shikiji

Shikiji
Ranked #436 of 3,514 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“good ramin noodles and sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

the cold ramin noodles are the best i have had in calgary and the sushi is good not the best but better then average. The price is fairley good so i would recommend this place and the service here is excellent

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank henry n

Calgary
“Best Japanese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Sushi great. Atmosphere warm and frendly. Exceptional service. We have eaten here dozens of times and never been disappointed. A hidden gem on Centre Street. Best to make reservations. They close early. Great selection of sake.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Judy M
Calgary, AB
“Oooh oooh udon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

One evening after a long day at work, we decided to eat out at Shikiji Japanese Noodles and Sushi. If you're looking for an authentic Japanese noodle house, it's the best place in the city hands down. This restaurant has been a long time favourite of mine.

This inconspicuous, yet cozy restaurant is a quick drive from downtown. The owner and chef is a stern looking but kind man who is originally from Japan. I love that this restaurant is run and owned by real Japanese people.

The menu boasts 10 different noodle dishes and patrons can select from ramen, udon, and soba noodles. If one is not in the mood for noodles, the rest of the menu is quite diverse and includes traditional Japanese appetizers, sushi (maki, nigiri and sashimi), donburi (rice bowls) as well as daily and seasonal specials. Something to please every palate!

We decided to share the una una roll, salmon mango roll and nabeyaki udon. The food came quickly, which impressed me as the restaurant was busy on a weeknight.

The nabeyaki udon was delicious. The soup was piping hot and the noodles were light and springy, just the way I like. The portion size is quite generous as it is served literally in a large pot and comes with a side of assorted tempura. The ample portion size makes the price tag of $17 easier to digest. The udon noodles share the pot with a conglomeration of shitake mushrooms, onions, egg, enoki mushrooms and imitation crab. The broth for the nabeyaki is soy based and contains fish sauce. My only compliant is that the broth was slightly saltier than I would have preferred.

Aside from its feature noodles, Shikiji also has some interesting maki rolls on its menu. The una una roll ($17) is made with fresh water eel, cucumber, tobiko and house unagi sauce. The salmon mango roll ($12) includes salmon, mango, avocado, cucumber and tobiko.

Both rolls also did not disappoint. The portions were fair, the ingredients were high quality and fresh and the flavours melted in my mouth in harmony. Every bite was satisfying! Presentation is also a strong point at Shikiji; the rolls were presented in an attractive and appetizing manner. In my opinion however, the una una roll is overpriced at $17 as this same roll in other restaurants would be several dollars less.

Another successful visit to Shikiji! It definitely did not disappoint and this hungry foodie will be back.

• Visited February 2012
5 Thank Esther K
Abbotsford, Canada
“Busy place = great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

The place was very busy yet we got our food quickly and it was very good. Lots of imagination on the menu too. Friendly staff.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Debbie K
Calgary, Canada
“Our new favorite place - soooo yummy!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Nom, Nom, Nom!! This place is so yummy! I really can't say enough good things about it. Firstly, the Chili Goma Ramen is to die for. It is spicy (but not too spicy) and has this rich, complex flavour that I would eat every meal of every day, if I could.

I certainly am no expert on Ramen, never having been to Japan, but the soup was spectacular! It came in a huge bowl with a charming wooden ladle, the noodles were fresh and addictive and the extra pork that I ordered on top was delicious. I do wish there was a chicken version of their Ramen -maybe one day!

We also ordered a large sake to have with the meal which was hot and delicious. And we had the tempura salmon roll which just melted in my mouth - it was so, so good!

The service was efficient and given with a smile - it was a bit perfunctory but that's ok. I was a bit disappointed in some inflexibility for our order (eg. When you order Ramen you can choose whether you want the pork with it to be lean or fatty - my hubby asked if he could have a couple slices of each and was told 'no'. Why would that be? It's obviously just added on top just before serving?) but that's just a quibble.

This is our new favorite place to eat! It's a little pricey so we'll have to make it a treat but that won't keep us away.
I hope that there are plans for a SW location but until then we'll keep making the trek -it's worth it!!

1 Thank ikypoo