“Great service & food”

Escoba Bistro and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Escoba Bistro and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 3,711 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Street on 8th Ave SW
Transit: We are located 1/2 block south of the 5th ave C-Train stop.
Description: Mediterranean comfort food including lamb, prime grade beef, Atlantic salmon, pastas, and homemade flatbreads. Every dish has a suggested wine pairing from our extensive cellar. Enjoy the warmth of our charmingly rustic wood, stucco, stone and wrought iron decor. Escoba seats up to 175 for dinner with the capacity to host up to 280 for specialized cocktail and appetizer functions.
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I very much enjoyed our dinner at Escoba. Service was excellent and the food was very tasty.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have dined at Escoba on my different occasions for many different reasons: business lunches, romantic dates, family dinners. The service and food constantly exceed my expectations on each visit. My husband and I love Escoba so much that we decided to host the most important party of our lives in their beautiful restaurant. Unfortunately our wedding and reception were scheduled to be held the weekend of the flood and we were left without the beautiful venue. Darren and his staff came to the rescue and brought the food, decorations, sound system and wine to my parents home in Okotoks and served our guests using three kitchens on their street. It was an amazing day and I will forever be indebted to them for making it a success. Without Escoba our wedding day may have been a disaster. I will forever recommend Escoba as the best restaurant in Calgary. The food and service are exquisite and you will love every bite!

Darren, my thank yous are endless, can't wait till our next meal at Escoba!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went to Escoba for a business lunch on a Friday. Restaurant was not too busy and service was fast. I had the Beef Tenderloin and it was cooked perfectly and the meal was very good. Nice selection of wine to pair with all meals. Others had the Salmon and Rib Eye and all seemed very happy with their meal. I would definitely return

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My favourite dish at this restaurant is the seared ahi tuna entrée that has a lovely flavour combination of ground olives, tomato sauce, bacon and fresh potatoes. The appetizer of spring rolls are actually baked and the bistro's best seller. The server was honest and upfront recommending the spring rolls over the daily soup saying, "The heaviness of the soup would be 'too much' with the ahi tuna." Overall service was attentive and never intrusive. My one recommendation would be to ask for a table near the window as the natural light makes the experience less gloomy. For a business lunch/dinner or a special occasion, it's highly recommended. For a casual lunch, it's a bit expensive as entrées easily fall into the $25-$35 range.

1  Thank QatarJoe
darren h, Owner at Escoba Bistro and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Yes, the french doors (added recently) have bathed the dining room in wonderful natural light - we love them too! Just a reminder that we have more options on the menu in the $18 to $23 range including pizzas, pastas and salads if so desired.
Thank you for your comments - we appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Escoba is a great little place to go for lunch, they feature a different wine each day and give you a sample. What a great idea. The food here is exceptional. Try the Ahi Tuna, you wont be disappointed.

2  Thank dloberg

We feel there's only one effective way to visualize a wine...and that's to taste it. Feel free to ask for a sample of any of the wine's we pour by the glass when you're in next. Salut!