“Good evening as well as lunch spot”

Escoba Bistro and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Escoba Bistro and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #130 of 3,645 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Street on 8th Ave SW
Transit: We are located 1/2 block south of the 5th ave C-Train stop.
Description: Mediterranean comfort food including duck, prime grade beef, Atlantic salmon, pastas, and homemade flatbreads. Every dish has a suggested wine pairing from our extensive cellar. Enjoy the warmth of our charmingly rustic wood, stucco, stone and wrought iron decor. Escoba seats up to 175 for dinner with the capacity to host up to 280 for specialized cocktail and appetizer functions.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a busy lunchtime restaurant, but it changes into a quiet, relaxed neighbourhood feel in the evening, with a much more laid back pace. One of our favourites for starting off the weekend on a Friday evening.

2  Thank Peter_S_Hunt

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We joined four friends for dinner on a Saturday night at Escoba. It was easy to find, we were warmly greeted and promptly seated. Our server offered an appetizer tray as a suggestion which was thoroughly enjoyed. The lamb and buffalo main was tasty, cooked properly and had plenty of sides on the plate. The Tiger Rose pasta was enjoyed by a couple of our tablemates - as was the paella. All were done very well and presented wonderfully. The wine offerings were interesting and had lots to choose from "by the glass". All in all, Escoba was an excellent choice for an evening out and I will return.

1  Thank Malone2
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a wonderful window table with a tiny oil light. HOORAY, No fake flicker lights. Decor was welcoming and background music was happily very low. Our waitress was loud and kind of in your face, just above a “take this job and shove it” type. Will wait staff ever please stop telling us that what we order is their favourite on the menu, or the one word: perfect? The wine list is small, a tad pricy. But we did like that all wines were available by the glass, 1/2 liter or full bottle. Plus there were 4 nicely priced wine flights, which we selected primarily for variety and price. The food was a mix of spectacular and needs help. Their signature mushroom soup is most definitely the spectacular side and worth keeping as a signature item. The mushroom risotto balls app was also fantastic and we were off to a fabulous start. But then, our apple-cherry salad was not very good. Too few cherries and apples, maybe 5 of each. The toasted sunflower seeds looked and tasted more like your garden variety and had no particular toasty flavour to them. Those were kind of skimpy, too. Salad dressing was maybe at best a tablespoon. Considering the salad mix itself was quite large, the flavour was mostly the leaves themselves rather than any of the other ingredients listed that primed us to order it in the first place. As well, their salads seemed way over priced. One of us had the Tiger Rose pasta which was excellent except those little white dots they call scallops are just not scallops and you can have those anywhere. My partner had the roast chicken & scallop main. Now those were real scallops and done perfectly. We shared the Cookies n Cream dessert. Not as rich and dark as we'd like and whatever pepper is supposed to enhance the vanilla pepper ice cream along aside, had no pepper taste and could just as well been vanilla only. We'd go again because there are several other servers and the menu variety is such that there were many other things we wanted to try. In fact a bunch of their creative apps could make a full meal. So in all, it's a return place, with caveats.

1  Thank Cowley_Traveller
Reviewed October 20, 2012

It was a Friday night and we had planned to go out and have a nice dinner and some drinks for my birthday. Unfortunately - my man was ill so as an alternative we ordered a delicious dinner from Escoba Bistro. I had previously ordered from them when they were still located at their original location and I was hoping nothing had changed as it was a fabulous meal back then.

We had the Ahi Tuna appy, Prawn appy and the Bison/Mushroom Dumplings. And we shared the Lamb/Bison entree.

I can't imagine it being any better in the restaurant - the Bison melted in my mouth and was the best I have ever had, the Tuna was so fresh and the chips were delicious. The autumn squash "ravioli" was the perfect match for the perfectly cooked lamb.

And all delivered to the house - perfect. Can't wait to visit the restaurant!

2  Thank Janice A
Reviewed October 1, 2012

As a weary traveler I was amazed & delighted to see such an excellent menu on Waiters en route- the delivery service to the corporate apartment we are staying in while we wait for our house to be move-in ready. The salmon is amazing & I have ordered it a few times during our stay in the downtown temporary apartment- I am just completely shocked that they charge $19 for plain pasta for my child. So guess what folks- not family friendly- gouging take out orders for something as simple as an order of pasta? Plain with butter? So sad- they must not even relate to folks who are moving, travelling, in transition and certainly no one over there respects children or families- the almighty dollar rules at Escoba- or none of them have families or kids who travel or move. I will be sure to share this atrocity with everyone I meet in Calgary. Not what I would expect from Canadians.

1  Thank Catherine D