“Would avoid if in area again”
Review of Boston Pizza

Boston Pizza
Ranked #1,313 of 3,605 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Pizza
Neighborhood: Northeast Calgary
Neighborhood: Northeast Calgary
Dover, United Kingdom
“Would avoid if in area again”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Looking for somewhere else to eat next door to our Calgary hotel we disappointingly chose this restaurant as they at least had something for our vegetarian son.

Service was not good, we waited several minutes to be shown to our table. Service throughout the meal was not much better with sauce being spilled onto the edge of the plate by the waitress as she brought the dishes to the table. Compared to most other waitresses/waiters we had experienced in Canada this one was surly in comparison.

Food was merely OK, nothing to get excited about at all. Wine was appallingly bad, but that could just have been my choice.

Would not go back

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank DesdinovaUK

Regina
“WORST BP MANAGER/BUSBOY EVER!!!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Well, I have yet to write a really bad review of a place but I feel I have no choice this time. We chose to eat supper at this particular BP in Calgary as it was close to our hotel. We have been to BP in our own city many, many times as well as other BP's in other cities. We feel it is usually a safe choice as we like the menu and service is usually quite good. So, I will provide a fair and honest critique of the restaurant and try to justify my "terrible" rating.

We arrived at BP around 6:30 pm on a Wednesday and the place did not look terribly busy. We went in and stood by the counter so we could be seated. There was a young lady behind the counter reading something on the counter and she looked up and smiled at us. We literally stood there for two minutes waiting for her to finish reading whatever she was looking at. Finally, I said "is there someone here who could seat us?". She then replied, "once second". Not a good start by any means. Another 30 seconds later and she is finally ready to seat us. Sorry, but whatever she was reading could have waited until we were seated. Customer first, right?

We get seated and have a very nice and friendly young lady serving us. She was smiling and very courteous. She takes our order for drinks and allows us to look at our menus to find what we want to eat. I look around the restaurant and they are not even close to being full. And, from what I can tell, they have enough wait staff for the number of people eating.

We order an appetizer of pizza bread and it was quite good. After a while our main meals arrive. However, for whatever reason, it is not our waitress bring the meals but rather a young man who I assume to be a busboy. He delivers my daughter's chicken fingers and my steak.....wife's meal yet to come. We had no cutlery on our table as when they had cleared it they forgot to put new ones down....not a big deal....at this point. So, I ask the young man if he could please bring us some cutlery and he said he would. Well, we wait....and wait....and wait. Finally, and this is no exaggeration, we wait 5 MINUTES until our waitress brings it to us. I ask her why the young man did not bring it to us right away when I told him and she said he had no idea. I ask her to find that individual and tell him I would like to speak to him. Well, a few minutes later he comes back with my wife's meal, puts it down, tells her to enjoy it and is about to run off. I have to stop him and say can I have a minute of your time. I then ask him why he did not bring our cutlery immediately and he said he asked our server to. I explain to him that I could not eat my steak without cutlery and i had to wait 5 MINUTES for it to arrive whereby if he had got it immediately my meal would still have been hot when I went to eat it. He says sorry for the incovenience and starts to leave. I have to ask him to wait a second as I wish to further discuss his lack of judgement. I again ask why he himself would not get the cuterly right then and there so I could eat my meal. He again tells me he told the wait staff to do it and again starts to leave my table. I try to continue talking to him, and in respectful manner I might add, but he says he must go as other meals are waiting to be served. Okay, fair enough. Go do your job as a busboy and then come back to talk to me when you have a moment. Well, more surprises to come.

At this point I tell my wife that I think I will speak to the Manager about this as it poor customer service. Guess what? My wife informs me that was the Manager!!! I said there was no way a Manager would treat a customer like that. She said she looked at his name tag and it said "Manager". With this news I realize there is really no one to talk to now about his behavior since he in fact is the culprit.

In the end, this so called Manager never did come back to talk to me. He continued to serve meals even though his wait staff were not busy. I don't know, maybe at this particular BP the Manager must serve the meals even when his wait staff could and should be doing it.

To sum up, our waitress was very competent and got her full tip despite her Manager's behavior. The food itself was quite good as well. No complaints there either. My only issues with the place really was the lady who would not seat us right away and the Manager who acted as a busboy. I guess I could have gone up and spoken to this so called Manager on my way out but I wasn't too sure what I would accomplish at this point. It was a very frustrating experience trying to deal with this individual. I can't recall a time when I have ever been treated so rudely by someone in his position. Even as I write this I still can't believe how we were treated by this young man.

Finally, let me say this, if any higher up from Boston Pizza wish to contact me, please do so here. I would love to know what they think about one of their Manager's treating a customer like this. So, for this particular BP, go there for the great food but if you have any type of issue, don't expect the Manager to spend more than a few seconds dealing with it as he is too busy being a busboy.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Banfff
Calgary, Canada
“Didn't expect such a quiality of food...”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

It was our first dinner in Canada. We arrived late and the only place which was open was Boston Pizza... the ribs were really very-very tasty. Big portions.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Cdebfriend12
Quebec City, Canada
“Liked our experience”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Good food, prices a bit high but it was not a fortune. We had pizza and wings (oven cooked... not deep fried... so good) and we enjoyed our meal. I would go back.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Frick_inc
Giussano, Italy
“From an Italian guy....not so bad...”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I tried to test the canadian Pizza, from famous and important chain of pizza.
There was a lot of choice, and differents dimensions. Tomatoes was too tasty, with some spices, and not really tomato sauce (made only with tomatoes) and the chhese was not mozzarella. Indeed I thought that I wouldn't like it, but globally, eating all ingredients together, the taste was good, acceptable.

• Visited February 2011