“Good option for lunch”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Wine-Ohs has a wine bar / bistro on the main floor featuring quality, French inspired cuisine with a focus on fresh, local, organic, and sustainable food. Downstairs, the Cellar is our live music venue with a speakeasy vibe reminiscent of clubs in New York or Chicago. It features live music 6 (sometimes 7 nights a week).
Calgary
“Good option for lunch”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I needed some place close to the old Encana building across from the Paliser and this place definitely hit the spot. I came in a little earlier to beat the rush and our server was very prompt and explained the specials. We ended up getting some standard lunch fare, sandwich and soup (asparagus) and a salad. Nothing earth shattering, but it arrived quickly and was quite hardy and reasonably priced. Decor is on the eccentric side, but comfortable enough. Will definitely be back.

• Visited August 2014

Calgary, Canada
“Slightly disappointing experience”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

My friend and I came here for a belated birthday lunch. I was really looking forward to it since I had read very good reviews about this restaurant and it was close to my office. Our server was polite and attentive at first, however, it seemed like he was the only one on the floor during lunch hour and so he began to get busy and failed to refill our waters (which was pretty bad since I was fighting a sore throat), check on us, etc.

I ordered the mushroom soup (which is one of my favourite kinds of soup) and the Linguini. I was hoping to get the Bouillabaisse since it was on their online menu, but definitely missing on the menu at the restaurant. No big deal. The mushroom soup was only lukewarm, and my Linguini while pretty tasty, was extremely over salted. That combined with the lack of water meant an overall less than enjoyable lunch. My friend ordered the chicken BLT, and the piece of chicken was so charred so could not bite through it. She ended up eating the veggies in her sandwich and her salad, and left the rest of her sandwich mostly untouched.

We both used to work in the restaurant industry and typically don't complain unless the service is really bad--it wasn't, so my rating mostly reflects the quality of food that we got. We didn't feel complaining about the food would have added any value to our visit. For this, I rated the food as poor, but the service as average (again, as our server became MIA halfway through our meal).

I think I will give Wine Ohs another try, perhaps not during lunch, and maybe after they've changed their menu. I'm still optimistic I'll have a good meal here.

• Visited June 2014
Rochester NY
“Tasty surprise”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I were in Calgary recently at the start of our vacation in the Canadian Rockies. We didn't feel like driving, so we picked Wine Oh's because it was within walking distance of our hotel, advertised itself as a wine bar, had live music [downstairs], and sported positive reviews. We were more than pleasantly surprised by the quality of our dinners. The chef is a maestro with vegetables, which were varied, perfectly cooked, and extremely tasty. The [small] wine list was note too shabby either. We topped off the night in the downstairs bar area listening to some great music. I definitely recommend Wine Oh's for an enjoyable meal. Don't be put off by its slightly shabby exterior. It's worth a visit.

• Visited July 2014
Calgary, Canada
“A real downtown gem”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I visited Wine-Ohs over the lunch time. Our server was very attentive and friendly, but allowed us time to chat without interupting.
The food was very good, delicious in fact. One of the nicest lunches I've had in Calgary.
The restaurant wasn't overly full and the music was low so we could talk without having to shout.
I get the feeling not too many people think to come here for lunch as its off the main drag of Stephen Ave, which is a shame as its a small gem and a restaurant I'll definitely go back to.
Highly recommended!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank SJ1971
calgary
“Cool Restaurant”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We had an enjoyable lunch ! A bunch of girls celebrating a birthday. They had a varied selection on the menu. Lots of fish dishes including trout tacos.. everyone liked their meals. I had a steak sandwich, sliced on top of a crispy baguette with a yummy garlic mayo on the bread and a balsamic glaze on the steak. Perfect size for lunch, and these crazy good fries with truffle flavor (assuming truffle oil). We had two bottles of wine, both fantastic. One thought, they knew we were coming for a birthday..and after eating they came with a candle on top of an egg cup.. that was a tad disappointing... Ohs well :-) I found it a bit expensive, but we did order wine. All in all it was enjoyable lunch with really nice atmosphere.

• Visited February 2014