“Good choice for a business trip to NE Calgary”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport - Calgary
Ranked #65 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Meetings in the northeast prompted me to choose this location over my usual stop downtown. The building is relatively new and the area is a bit empty but expanding. Keep in mind that Barlow Trail to the airport is closed right now so if you're taking a cab it's not as though the property is a short drive away. They do have shuttle although I had a rental car so I can't comment on that service.

I was on the first floor right by the elevators (rm 114). Despite the location there was very little noise coming into the room except for the moron guests who like to make phone calls while standing right outside a guest room door. Definitely not the hotel's fault but a "quiet please" sign might be helpful. The room has a jacuzzi tub and large desk. It is well appointed but the bathroom is an odd design. Everything was clean and functional but the space could have been better used. The room has a fridge and microwave, flat-screen tv (a bit small) and ample seating and storage areas. The wireless internet seemed relatively stable and fast enough but I opted to dig out the cable form under the desk to use the wired connection.

I found the bed to be a bit too firm but that's a personal thing. Also, the fake fireplace is a bit of a waste in my opinion. A real gas fireplace or some other thing to take up the space would be better. There is quite a stretch of floor tile as well so if you get up to use the loo without footwear on it is a bit cold. Keep in mind that the hotel is a bit out of the way but if you have a vehicle you're less than 10 minutes from a casino, shopping and many restaurants. There is also a Moxies across the way at the Sandman hotel.

Overall I would say it's a very good property that's easy to find, has a large breakfast area and friendly staff. If you're on business or need a stopover point for the airport then you can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Allan A

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Had a great night with some friends. Diana at the front desk is a gem, great people working there and great location.would for sure stay here again. The prices are extremely reasonable. Always a fun time in Calgary.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were picked up by a shuttle at the airport and had a very pleasant driver, no problems at all. Upon arrival, Kim, the manager upgraded us to a suite at no extra charge because we had just returned from our wedding in Mexico. So very nice! The staff was accommodating, service impeccable and we will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy H
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night on our way to Calgary Airport. We were impressed that the desk manager offered a VERY reasonable rate for parking our car at the hotel while we were away for the Christmas holiday. (It beat the Airport's rate for long-term parking!) Our room was clean and comfortable, and my wife said that she has never had a better sleep on a hotel bed. The breakfast bar was spacious and inviting (with a gas fireplace and sofa nearby). Most of the breakfast items were standard for this kind of hotel, but there was sufficient variety among the hot and cold items, and the coffee and juice were plentiful.

We were also pleased to find out that the airport shuttle was free, and the shuttle drivers were courteous and cheerful. While there isn't much to do or see in this remote section of Calgary (which is typical for an airport location), this hotel has much going for it in terms of customer service and added perks for any traveller on his or her way to the airport. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just before booking this hotel, I applied for a Free membership to IHG which is the chain that owns all Holiday Inn Express hotels & others. You can receive points for staying at their hotels & with enough, can get free accomodation. So as is free, I joined.
When my husband & I arrived, we were greeted with great customer service plus a bottle of water for each of us & a granola bar!! Maybe other hotels offer this, but for us, this was a first!! The room we were given was on the 2nd floor & was a lovely large room. In the bathroom, we had a glass doored walk in shower, again a first for us in a hotel. A wonderful buffet breakfast was laid out in the dining room, the next morning, with lots of cold & hot selections of food. This is included in the price of the room.
My only disappointment with our room was that there was not enough blankets on the bed for me & none extra anywhere in the room. I mentioned this at checkout to the lady I believe was the Manager, but she really wasn't interested in anything I had to say. I could have called housekeeping the night before, I imagine, but it was late when we got back in & were already undressed & in bed, before I knew there was not enough bedding for me. Other than that, we loved this hotel & will certainly stay there again when next in Calgary.

Room Tip: Join the club, it's free
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grandmo
Reviewed November 21, 2012

It’s very good and clean hotel, very nicely organized for families, because of its indoor heated pool, whirlpool and a water slide. It was absolutely fun for the whole family to spend few hours at the pool area.
The room was spacious, very clean, with nice furniture. The complimentary breakfast was typical for Holiday Inn Express: it was limited but good enough. They had some cooked items like eggs and bacon and a choice of cereals, yoghurts, some juices.
The parking was free.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ina S
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife & I have traveled a great deal. We have stayed at dozens of Holiday Inns and are Holiday Inn Priority Club Members for years. We had booked our room online with our Club membership and pre-paided. As I was unloading the vehicle my wife went to get the keys giving our confirmation number. The desk clerk said my wife had to do a credit card per-authorization for $150 for damages or phone calls. When I came in I said that this is not Holiday Inns policy, we are Priority Members,we had just stayed at the Vernon Holiday Inn without this damage deposit and for God sakes we're seniors and I felt insulted.The manager burst out her office saying that they had some bad clients and had to call the police. Thought maybe we made a bad choice of hotel and location.Her aggressive manner and we are RIGHT attitude turned me off Holiday Inn's FOREVER! She had no concern of how we felt. Cancelling my Holiday Inn Priority Club Membership also.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple