“Sunday Night Treasure in Calgary - The Black Pig”
Review of Black Pig Bistro - CLOSED

Black Pig Bistro
Cuisines: French, Italian, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2014

It is not always easy to find a great place to eat on Sunday night in Calgary. Many are booked and many others don't open. Discovering a new place that could take us and turned out to be outstanding was a real treat.

After looking around for a while, someone mentioned "What about Bridgeland?" and I remebered hearing about the Black Pig. it is a Spanish Bistro, very nicely decorated but still a casual atmosphere. The greeting at the door was warm and sincere and we were offered a table that was already reserved in about an hour and half.

The wine list is good, not extensive, but good and a Spanish Verdejo white at $65.00 turned out to be a perfect selection. By the way, the server was so terrific, friendly, and helpful and took the time to answer every question about the menu. Really top notch service.

Two of us had a tapenade as an appetizer and it was very good. Perhaps a wee bit too salty, but once you had some on the little crostinis, you had to have more. Highly reccomend this, but remember it is salty!!!

The "Pig" feature was a pork tenderloin burger that was delicious, It came with a large slab of raw mozzarella that I found a bit overwhelming, but the bun, the salad, the meat and the carmelized onions were all terrific. I really enjoyed this dish. My guests split a plate of Short Rib Russotto and they simply raved about it. One said it was the best russotto they had ever had, and the chunks of short rib disappeared very quickly. They also ordered the "Pork dog" appetizer which was really just two small hot dogs with home made sausage, but these were also a hit.

We did not have dessert of coffee and the bill came to a total of just over $200.00 for three of us. Not only a very good meal, but great atmosphere and a real treasure on a Sunday night.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I was looking forward to trying this new restaurant, I heard some rumblings and anticipation of this restaurant opening and knowing that they offered Iberico Ham I had high expectations that I'd see a cool Spanish version of a Bistro, offering tasty small dishes.
With that in mind (perhaps my own fault), I was a little disappointed at the limited selection on their lunch menu. I'm not sure if the selection at dinner is better but they're just missing something that makes me want to go back. What I did end up ordering actually tasted ok, they were however the 2 most expensive items on the menu..(iberico ham and cioppino) I figured I needed to try something other than a burger or sandwich. I just wished that they had a few more choices..

Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our dinner here! The food was great and the service was even better. I was impressed with the menu, I will definitely go back to try other dishes! If your looking for a nice place to enjoy dinner with friends and family in Bridgeland this is the place to go!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We went there over the weekend with another couple. The lunch menu is very limited and price is expensive. $21 for a burger with no sides and it tastes not fresh. We love trying new places but I would not recommend this one to anybody else.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We had trouble finding a place to eat in 1st Avenue after the other option we considered was suddenly closed. Then we found this bistro. The friendly staff were very welcoming! We had a wonderful waitress who helped us with the selection options on the menu. There were not not a lot of options but the options we had were wonderful. The cheese risotto and the rib eye with peppers Both tasted divine. We had a chocolate caramel and peanut desert which is highly recommended.
Wonderful atmosphere. All and all a very nice incidental find!
Enjoy a meal here! Would visit again...