“Nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Pig Bistro - CLOSED

Black Pig Bistro
Cuisines: Canadian, French, Spanish
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kimberley, South Africa
“Nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

We had trouble finding a place to eat in 1st Avenue after the other option we considered was suddenly closed. Then we found this bistro. The friendly staff were very welcoming! We had a wonderful waitress who helped us with the selection options on the menu. There were not not a lot of options but the options we had were wonderful. The cheese risotto and the rib eye with peppers Both tasted divine. We had a chocolate caramel and peanut desert which is highly recommended.
Wonderful atmosphere. All and all a very nice incidental find!
Enjoy a meal here! Would visit again...

• Visited July 2014

Lumby, Canada
“Not so great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

My daughter & I went for dinner here after hearing rave reviews. Quite frankly, we were both very disappointed. The service was very good. We started with a tomato ceasar salad, which, while quite tasty was a very small portion. For our main, we ordered the pork and beans. I was expecting some very lean, tasty pork. Not so. The pork was very fatty, with a small sampling of beans accompanying it. That was all. And once again, a very small portion, much too small considering the price. All in all, a very overpriced menu for mediocre food. Don't be fooled by the hype.

• Visited May 2014
Calgary
“Nice Bistro... Worth watching”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Recently, we visited the Black pig for dinner on a Wednesday night. Originally we had booked for 4 people but the day before we called to add one more. The restaurant said that we would have to move our reservation up to by 15 mins to accommodate the extra person. We did so but since the restaurant never got overly busy I saw no need for that and it just added a lot of extra co-ordination to our dinning event that just wasn't necessary.
I don't know what is happening to reservations at restaurants in this city but they are getting harder to get and harder to manage and at the price for dinning out in Calgary you would think convenience and the Guest experience would be paramount. No reservation restaurants for larger groups is not a good development in my books…anyway.
Our server seemed experienced and very keen. In the end, as the dinner went on, I still felt she was keen but not very organized. The food came out disjointed ( could be the kitchen as well) and not all at once to all the dinners at our table. I dislike that. Its hard to have a nice hot meal. Do we wait for everyone to get their dish or start eating before the food gets cold? It's a dilemma and it takes away from the evening. After all, I'm a pretty good cook, it's the evening out with 4 of my friends that I look forward too. It would be nice if we could eat our $400 meal together!
The ambiance of the Black Pig Bistro is really quite nice I felt comfortable and it reminded me in some ways of Les Halles in New York…so that was a bonus.
The food at Les Halles is exceptional and one could not expect the food at a local Bistro to be at the same level…and it wasn't. But…it could be! I saw lots of "presence" here from the chef. We had several of the specials such as a pork burger and a scallop dish which were both fairly good. A little more attention to the actual cooking off of the dishes would have paid a little more tribute to the intension of the chef's recipe. Two of our group had items selected form the ongoing menu and while they were prepared better they could use some closer attention especially to combinations of flavours as well as spices and seasoning.
However, the food was quite enjoyable and while I would give the food portion of our evening a 3.5 out of 5 , I think with some hard work, the right kitchen staff and some "dig deep" work on the menu, The Black Pig could emerge as a really important Bistro in our city. However, if they think they are all "done" ( it's a relatively new restaurant to the scene) then The Black Pig will be just another "also did run" bistro in Calgary.
Get the food out hot and all at once …that would be a good start.
We will return to this Bistro again probably later this summer to see where they have gone with it. DEFINITELY worth a second try.

• Visited June 2014
Calgary, AB
“Didn't Live Up to the Buzz”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

My wife and I finally made it to Black Pig Bistro earlier this week. It wasn't quite what I expected, and didn't live up to the hype generated during the long wait for it's opening.

First off, for a restaurant touting "Spanish Cuisine" I'd expect tapas, and a few things that showed some Spanish flare like Romesco sauce, safron, or paprika. I got none of that. Other than the fact that the have Albarino on the wine list, a delicious white grape variety that's hard to find on a menu and very Spanish, there was no hint of anything Spanish.

I started with the soup of the day - potato and cheddar and it was excellent. My wife had the tomato caeser, and it too was superb. Our complaint was that they were pricy, and very tiny portions. For mains my wife had the pig of the day - pork done two ways, pulled and roasted. I had the Pork and Beans. My wife's dish was just OK, but the roast pork, compared to what I got, had no flavor.

My dish simply didn't work. It was a spin on Cassoulet (I think), with porcetta over a layer of beans. There were a lot of things wrong with this dish. First, I'm assuming they used Berkshire pork judging by the fat content. The theory is that the extra fat provides richer juicier meat, but I just find it creates a lot of trimming work and wastage. In my case the pork was overcooked to the point where the extra fat hadn't saved it. The meat was dry, and didn't have great flavor. The beans included some green beens, and a couple of other types that I'll guess at edemame and fava. That didn't work either, and was lacking the rich, creamy gooey texture that you'd get with a French Cassoulet (or a weener chopped into a can of Bush's Beans for that matter). The strangest part of all was the dish was seasoned with mint, a spice that isn't Spanish, and simply doesn't work with pork. I kept having flashbacks to my childhood of roast leg of lamb with mint sauce served up by my Welsh mother. All in all, this was a dish where the flavorrs and textures simply didn't play well together.

One more point on value. I ordered a local pale ale from a brewary that I've never heard of and can't remember. It was excellent. The issue would be that if I order a beer on tap I expect a pint, expecially when I'm paying 9 dollars for the glass. To get a small 10 or 12 ounce glass simply didn't make the grade.

Service throughout the meal had been slow - it took about 45 minutes between appie and main, but as dinner coasted to an end it became slow to the point of unbarable. It took almost 10 minutes to get the cheque once we asked for it, and after sitting with my credit card out for another 10 minutes I finally dug out the required cash and we walked out.

So, final verdict. Fabulous appetizers - just wish there was more of them. Mains were mediocre, service was slow, and prices were high. Value for money was poor. If you're looking for Spanish food, Ox and Angela has this place beat by several orders of magnitude. If you'fe looking for everything pig, Swine and Sow does it much better at much lower prices. I can't see that we'll be returning anytime soon.

• Visited June 2014
Victoria, Canada
“Very Nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

I had lunch at the Black Pig Bistro a few days ago, very good food, friendly, pleasant and attentive service. The decor is very nice. I was sorry to see the Heartland Cafe close but this is a good replacement!

• Visited May 2014