“Room was updated, lobby and hallways not!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Airport Traveller's Inn

Airport Traveller's Inn
Ranked #99 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
BC, Canada
“Room was updated, lobby and hallways not!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Your first impression of this hotel will likely be one of concern. It looks dumpy outside, and the lobby and hallways are in serious need of updating - it looks like a dive at this point. This was the cheapest hotel in the area (and one of the few with availability on a Stampede weekend) when I booked. The room itself was a pleasant surprise (on the third floor), it had been renovated and it was clean and comfortable. In the end, we had a great sleep there and were well rested in the morning, no disturbances in spite of all the partying in Calgary. It really is not all that close to the airport (in spite of its name) but we were in a rental car so that was not a problem. If you need a shuttle to the airport it is not free ($15 pp). Did not have the breakfast.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor have been renovated.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Richard M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

If you've ever watched "Hotel Impossible," you'll know what I am referencing. At first I was going to say that TripAdvisor exists for places like this, but then I realized, the corporation that owns it is indeed trying to take it up a notch.

And take it up a notch, they did. A recent search shows a room going for $137 a night, identical to what is 200 yards to the east of them at the Clarion Inn. Which is where we immediately went upon discovering our room for myself and my parents (A shared room, which means only that that door adjoining the room could open).

There were people in the parking lot working on a BMW when I was there. The building has a facade that is entirely mirrored, which means as you pull up, you cannot see what is in there, but the manager can see everything coming and going, which tells me that there is some 'activity.'

The thing is with this hotel, is that there is a 72 hour cancellation policy. But you're effectively screwed when you get there and realize that there are far better hotels, less pricey and a litany of other choices. Having said that, the german lady at the front desk did refund 60% of my hotel fee, to which I can live with and the three of us immediately went to the other hotels nearby (There is a New Holiday Inn Express across the street as well as an older Clarion Inn behind Airport Traveller's Inn).

In all honesty, the rooms are clearly 1 star, and with that, 1-star hotels demand only 1-star prices. Be careful with what the hotels website offers. That one room is probably the one room that has been renovated. I wish the hotel much success as they revamp their property…."Hello, Anthony?"

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Rodpo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

I have never left a hotel that I had made a non refundable reservation for until tonight.
I walked into the lobby to be rudely shouted at from the couches if I had a reservation. The front desk attendant then rang my credit card through for $60 more than the amount I had booked it for. When I got to the room it was basically a closet with a bed in it and looked like it hadn't been cleaned ever and was not at all what the pictures had shown. When I went to the front desk to tell them that I would not be staying and would like a refund for my second night I was blamed for the behaviour of the gentleman who happened to walk in with my husband.

I have never been treated so poorly in my life. I was obviously a big inconvenience for the staff and my business was not important. We ended up moving to the clarion right next door and were more than happy with the experience (although I'm sure we would have been happy with anything after that) and the rate was almost the same but the hotel was much nicer.
If you are looking for an expensive hotel where you will be treated badly this is the place for you, otherwise I would suggest staying anywhere else.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple