“a Fun Day with my Grand Daughters”

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and Nature Centre
Ranked #34 of 307 things to do in Calgary
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My Wife and I went on a little Safary through this Park with our Daughter in Law and our two Grand Daughters , age 7 and 10. We had such a Fun-Time exploring , watching the many Birds and discovering things.

3  Thank duslbeck

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I love going to the bird sanctuary, excellent place for taking pictures. In one day got pictures of deer, two owls in tree, tons of birds-which goes with out saying, oh and I fed the the prairie dogs :D Going back soon!

3  Thank ScottL58
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The surrounding City is almost far enough away to make it feel like you're in the country while in the Sanctuary. A number of different birds and even sometimes deer can be seen. The Sanctuary offers a glimpse of what the river valley forest and wildlife can be like when the area is protected by people staying on the provided walking paths. More about the area is explained in the nature centre at the entrance to the sanctuary.

1  Thank eatingoutinCalgary
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Want a short walk or spend a day watching birds, this is a nice spot right in the city. There is a small interpretive centre and some picnic sites along the river to enjoy.

2  Thank barb_ken
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The sanctuary is easy to get to from downtown and easy to find the parking lot. The nature centre itself has a display of some of the birds you can find in the area and a "flash card" game for guessing the calls of birds. There are washrooms also. No admission fee.

The nature trails span about 3 kms and basically run in a loop so that you can easily walk the whole thing in an hour, going slowly and stopping for pictures or just do a shorter out-and-back walk. There are maps along the trails so you can always see where you are. Part of the trail brings you to the Bow River, where on the winter day I visited was home to about 5,000 ducks! I also saw hoof prints from deer, several gophers, a woodpecker, chickadees and a bald eagle!

There are no dogs allowed on these trails. It is a sanctuary, you must respect the wildlife and not feed them.

This is a lovely place to spend an hour or two. I visited in March and there were still interesting and pretty things to see. It's a very popular spot with bird photographers. I will definitely come back here on my next trip to Calgary.

1  Thank SaminVan