“A Real Sanctuary”

Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and Nature Centre
Ranked #33 of 307 things to do in Calgary
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The bird sanctuary is one of my family's favourite choices for a Sunday afternoon stroll. As a hobby photographer and birdwatcher, I love to bring my camera and snap pictures of the various birds that use the sanctuary year round. There are paths along the water and through the woods, and you are likely to see various birds native to Calgary - Canada geese, ducks, chickadees, woodpeckers, hawks and others. It's free to get in but does not have much for amenities - the interpretive center at the front gate never seems to be open when we are there. Besides that I highly recommend it - a quiet, peaceful patch of nature in the middle of Calgary's bustle. Whether or not you are a birdwatcher, you will enjoy your visit.

4  Thank PrairieGirl5

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great place to stroll with the family or to be an active bird watcher. Lots of rare and beautiful birds but also bagers and other animals living in the park.

2  Thank Charbswims
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This place is in the middle of an industrial looking area and I wasn't quite sure what I would find. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised. There is lots of water here, several different trails and lots of benches placed throughout. The hike was great and I saw several beautiful birds, including a golden hawk and a cedar waxwing. This was a great way to spend as much time as you like sitting in nature in the middle of the city. I saw lots of families, even some with strollers and some with wheel chairs, walking the paths.

3  Thank LadyYogi
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We're bird watchers and it's a great site for that. We noticed in our recent most visit that there were several groups enjoying the place. School children and disabled folks.

2  Thank Budge B
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Please disregard this inappropriate picture of the person feeding the chickadee - feeding the birds is not allowed in IBS. These are wild creatures and they should stay wild. I love the Bird Sanctuary, and spend a lot of time there 12 months of the year.

2  Thank Kiwihugger