“It Served it's purpose”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
Ranked #84 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed there with a family of four. The hallways and general impression was that it is in need of a good carpet cleaning. The room was small and cramped feeling (bathroom was a good size though). Good thing the sheets were clean and fresh. I actually started hunting for an alternate location after arriving because of the appearance of uncleanliness. The pool was a disappointment - looks like an oversized bathtub and was uninviting enough that I never considered using it - neither did the kids. I wouldn't stay here again. It didn't impress me at all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank northtrader

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel mid week for 2 nights on June 4 & 5/2013. Staff was friendly right from the checkin. We had a corporate king suite, which had a separate bedroom, along with a living room and kitchenette. Everything was very clean, and the hotel was quiet when we were there. Nice pool and hot tub to relax in which we had to ourselves. View was great looking at the Olympic Park, and mountains further west. Definitely would stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't know what the cheaper rooms look like, but if you can afford a room like ours, it's wo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Norm G
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed for my sons hockey tournament. The hotel was great for evening we were there. The only really disappointing thing was the pool. It was closed for maintenance for the evening. The room was clean and we enjoyed out time at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank joshturbo
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I arrived close to midnight and was greeted by the extremely nice Makayla, who proved to be the only reason to return.

My first room had two twin beds and was 27 degrees celsius as I entered, I fiddled with the air conditioner for 10 minutes before calling the front desk. Makayla promptly rushed up, fiddled for 2 minutes then offered to upgrade me to a King size suite. I hadn't disclosed that I had two small dogs with me, as I was informed this was a pet friendly hotel on the reviews. Makayla provided my new key cards and let me know how cute my puppies were... I nodded in agreement.

My second room #234 had a lingering smoke odour to it and was also 27 degrees when I arrived, the carpet was worn, there were large burn marks in the carpet, and the tv stand looked like someone stripped the veneer off it. The sink in the kitchenette didn't work, there was no toilet paper on the holder, and the toilet sticks - so constantly runs, ensuring you have to go back and toggle the lever to get it to stop running. The air conditioner must not be tied to the wall mounted temperature control, for the only way to get the A/C to turn on was to do it manually... there was no temp setting, just a dial (cooler) that you have to fiddle with all through the night to get the setting determined. You'll feel like you're baby sitting the A/C unit during your entire stay if here in the spring/summer.

Now the best part was when the housekeeper barged into my room while I was there (around 11am) for she knocked but came directly in without waiting for a reply, even though I had the "do not disturb" notice on the door handle. She then saw my dog and alerted the manager. A couple hours later the manager called, let me know there are no dogs allowed on the second floor, that there is a pet fee/deposit, and due to allergies this needed to be adhered to. I told him I have no idea what the policies are, and that it shouldn't matter, because the state of the room was disgusting. I then mentioned the unorthodox visit from housekeeping, and he indicated that she only entered because she heard a dog barking. I told him this was a blatant lie, I was sitting right beside the door as she entered, she only knew the dog was there because she trounced right in like it was her own suite and then saw the dog.

Wireless internet is sketchy as well... periodically (ever 2hrs) goes out?!

Pay the extra $20-30 and go elsewhere. And if you're in the hotel industry, come sweep Makayla away from this environment and towards a more appropriate venue... I'm thinking Sheraton Eau Claire. :0)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DrMaestroCalgary
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a medical reasons so I could recover following my release from day surgery. We got a suite so my husband could close the door and watch TV without disturbing me and have his own bed so as he might not hurt me by rolling into by accident. That was a huge mistake. The pullout bed had mouse turds on it when he went to pull it out to sleep and when he notified the front desk they told him it was probably just crumbs from someone previously eating while sitting on the sofa. I tell you what! We both grew up on farms and we know what mouse turd looks like! The front desk didn't even offer clean sheets to replace the dirty ones. Needless to say he slept on top of the sofa and had a terrible nights sleep. Had to go to the chiropractor when we got home.
Also the breaker blew on the plug for the microwave and the front desk did nothing again. My husband had to move the microwave onto the desk so I could use it. Thank goodness he was with me. I would have never been able to move it on my own. No discount offered nor an apology. We stay at Sandman religiously but not at this one EVER again. I am also sending a complaint to head office.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank blonduh
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank for your time in providing us your comments. Immediately after your check out we had taken actions to ensure there was no pest activity in or around your room. The room was shut down for 4 days with professional pest control measures to monitor any pest activity. After 4 days there was no pest activity noticed in the mentioned room or any nearby areas. Regarding the microwave breaker these are safety features built in so if the load is too heavy on the plug the breaker trips preventing any further accidents. I do apologize for inconvenience caused and do wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery.

If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact the hotel directly at 403-288-6033.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you like non-functioning plumbing, dirty rooms, inoperative air conditioning, and much much more then this is the hotel for you. I have stayed here in the past as it is close to family but stopped after June 2012 when on my last visit there was a bunch of hair in the bed and bobby pins. I pledged not to turn. Unfortunately, I had to stay one night this week because the Courtyard Marriott was full and I had a last minute trip into Calgary. My low expectations were realized the moment I got into the room. The toilet tank needs 5 minutes to refill. The remote control was missing. The furniture is shabby. If all other hotels are full and this is your only option, buy a tent.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Terry C
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Back again, love the west side location that gets me on the highway to Banff easily. Great room, squeaky clean as usual and had a great sleep on the sofa bed. Thanks Sid for your hospitality. Your staff are always "the best" in the industry.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank pzwolfDrumheller

Thank you for your time and kind words regarding your stay. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us again.