“clean and good enough”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
Ranked #84 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed for my sons hockey tournament. The hotel was great for evening we were there. The only really disappointing thing was the pool. It was closed for maintenance for the evening. The room was clean and we enjoyed out time at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank joshturbo

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I arrived close to midnight and was greeted by the extremely nice Makayla, who proved to be the only reason to return.

My first room had two twin beds and was 27 degrees celsius as I entered, I fiddled with the air conditioner for 10 minutes before calling the front desk. Makayla promptly rushed up, fiddled for 2 minutes then offered to upgrade me to a King size suite. I hadn't disclosed that I had two small dogs with me, as I was informed this was a pet friendly hotel on the reviews. Makayla provided my new key cards and let me know how cute my puppies were... I nodded in agreement.

My second room #234 had a lingering smoke odour to it and was also 27 degrees when I arrived, the carpet was worn, there were large burn marks in the carpet, and the tv stand looked like someone stripped the veneer off it. The sink in the kitchenette didn't work, there was no toilet paper on the holder, and the toilet sticks - so constantly runs, ensuring you have to go back and toggle the lever to get it to stop running. The air conditioner must not be tied to the wall mounted temperature control, for the only way to get the A/C to turn on was to do it manually... there was no temp setting, just a dial (cooler) that you have to fiddle with all through the night to get the setting determined. You'll feel like you're baby sitting the A/C unit during your entire stay if here in the spring/summer.

Now the best part was when the housekeeper barged into my room while I was there (around 11am) for she knocked but came directly in without waiting for a reply, even though I had the "do not disturb" notice on the door handle. She then saw my dog and alerted the manager. A couple hours later the manager called, let me know there are no dogs allowed on the second floor, that there is a pet fee/deposit, and due to allergies this needed to be adhered to. I told him I have no idea what the policies are, and that it shouldn't matter, because the state of the room was disgusting. I then mentioned the unorthodox visit from housekeeping, and he indicated that she only entered because she heard a dog barking. I told him this was a blatant lie, I was sitting right beside the door as she entered, she only knew the dog was there because she trounced right in like it was her own suite and then saw the dog.

Wireless internet is sketchy as well... periodically (ever 2hrs) goes out?!

Pay the extra $20-30 and go elsewhere. And if you're in the hotel industry, come sweep Makayla away from this environment and towards a more appropriate venue... I'm thinking Sheraton Eau Claire. :0)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DrMaestroCalgary
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a medical reasons so I could recover following my release from day surgery. We got a suite so my husband could close the door and watch TV without disturbing me and have his own bed so as he might not hurt me by rolling into by accident. That was a huge mistake. The pullout bed had mouse turds on it when he went to pull it out to sleep and when he notified the front desk they told him it was probably just crumbs from someone previously eating while sitting on the sofa. I tell you what! We both grew up on farms and we know what mouse turd looks like! The front desk didn't even offer clean sheets to replace the dirty ones. Needless to say he slept on top of the sofa and had a terrible nights sleep. Had to go to the chiropractor when we got home.
Also the breaker blew on the plug for the microwave and the front desk did nothing again. My husband had to move the microwave onto the desk so I could use it. Thank goodness he was with me. I would have never been able to move it on my own. No discount offered nor an apology. We stay at Sandman religiously but not at this one EVER again. I am also sending a complaint to head office.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank blonduh
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank for your time in providing us your comments. Immediately after your check out we had taken actions to ensure there was no pest activity in or around your room. The room was shut down for 4 days with professional pest control measures to monitor any pest activity. After 4 days there was no pest activity noticed in the mentioned room or any nearby areas. Regarding the microwave breaker these are safety features built in so if the load is too heavy on the plug the breaker trips preventing any further accidents. I do apologize for inconvenience caused and do wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery.

If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact the hotel directly at 403-288-6033.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you like non-functioning plumbing, dirty rooms, inoperative air conditioning, and much much more then this is the hotel for you. I have stayed here in the past as it is close to family but stopped after June 2012 when on my last visit there was a bunch of hair in the bed and bobby pins. I pledged not to turn. Unfortunately, I had to stay one night this week because the Courtyard Marriott was full and I had a last minute trip into Calgary. My low expectations were realized the moment I got into the room. The toilet tank needs 5 minutes to refill. The remote control was missing. The furniture is shabby. If all other hotels are full and this is your only option, buy a tent.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Terry C
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Back again, love the west side location that gets me on the highway to Banff easily. Great room, squeaky clean as usual and had a great sleep on the sofa bed. Thanks Sid for your hospitality. Your staff are always "the best" in the industry.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank pzwolfDrumheller

Thank you for your time and kind words regarding your stay. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us again.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I wish I could give this zero stars but since I can't, it gets one. My family had booked in as part of a group staying there, I was impressed with the actual building and lobby. Thought things looked good. It started to go downhill from there. Our room was cleaned ONCE in the 4 nights we were there, I had to locate towels everyday myself for my family of 4 as they never once left me towels. Once they would only give me 2 becausse they were "short of towels". When I found us towels/cloths they always had hairs on them still, nothing you want to wipe your face with.One of the male housecleaners smelled to Body Odor so badly you could smell it down the hallway from where he was working! When I tried to explain this all to the night manager he didn't want to hear any of it...just kept interrupting me and telling me to tell this to the housekeeping staff or the day staff. He wanted nothing to do with it. I usually understand if this happened one day or you had a couple of things go wrong from what you expected. But this happened to more than just my family in our booking group of about 12 rooms. I thought the Denny's was actaully pretty good, staff was pleasant and prompt, food was good. But the staff looking after the hotel need to all be replaced or trained in how to clean, supply a hotel room and deal with customers!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DebT69
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time in providing your feedback. All rooms a cleaned and checked by the Housekeeping Supervisor daily. The reason for any room not getting done daily is when a guest leaves a Do Not Disturb Card on the door requesting privacy. This can always be corrected as we do have evening staff in housekeeping so if the Front Desk staffs was contacted anytime during the stay we could have corrected this. I personally welcome the opportunity to discuss this further so you can contact the hotel directly at 403-288-6033.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Hotel looked great from outside and were greeted nicely, stayed 4 nights and whole place got worse and worse as we stayed! Cleaning staff is BRUTAL, Lazy, and never around! Garbage never cleaned inside or outside of Hotel.. Staff at lounge and Dennys classless and ignorant!!
No management anywhere in the hotel. You asked for a review and you got it, would never stay there again if it was the last place in Alberta!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends