“stinky room, dirty carpet”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West
Ranked #84 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Toronto, Canada
“stinky room, dirty carpet”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Sandman Calgary West seems to have poured a lot of money into its lobby, which looks like a cross between a boutique hotel and a nightclub. If only they'd paid as much attention to the rooms.

My room, on the second floor overlooking the parking lot, stank. Every time I walked in, a wave of stale smoke and old-hotel smell hit me smack in the face. The carpet looked ancient and filthy, and there was a mysterious reddish stain near the door. (I really wished I'd brought slippers.) For the first two or three nights of my six-night stay in late October, the room was so overheated, I had to run the air conditioner for an hour or two. (There was a thermostat in the room, but it didn't actually give you the ability to control the temperature.)

The layout of the room was weird and inconvenient - typical shoebox style, but with a dingy sitting room in the front, bathroom in the middle, and a bedroom at the back that was so small, there was no room for my suitcase. The furniture was old, ugly and scuffed, with 1990s-vintage 4:3 TVs in the sitting room and bedroom. And the lights were dim and depressing - enough to cause seasonal affective disorder in anyone spending more than a few hours in the room.

The bathroom was newer and mercifully clean, but what's with the trendy but inconvenient sink sitting on top of the counter, with no stopper and a tap that splattered water everywhere every time I opened it more than a sliver?

OK, enough about the depressing room. Breakfast? There's a Denny's in the building. Slow service (at breakfast! we're not on flippin' vacation!) and unhealthy, bland and greasy food. At dinnertime there is something called Bar One, branded as an "Urban Lounge" but really more like a suburban sports bar, with... yup, unhealthy, bland and greasy food.

And the "business centre"? When I needed to use it, the one computer was down. At least the manager was kind enough to let me print out my documents in his office.

Positives? The staff were friendly. There was a bowl of complimentary apples in the lobby. There were no rodents or other vermin. And, um...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank gonin60seconds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Cloverdale, Canada
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I come at this review from two angles. One is my personal stay and one is some feedback if you book a group in the hotel.

I was staying here for a wedding that would be hosted down the road. So the location was good - especially with all the restaurant and fast food places close by. However I found the configuration of the room they put me in very weird and overall - for the price I could have stayed at a more modern hotel.

I entered the room to discover marks along all sides of the walls that could easily be removed by a Magic Eraser. Then at the end was a iron mark on the carpet - so I guessed that the carpets were plastic. There was a wardrobe that was short (no closet) - and this didn't work given I had full length gowns to hang.

The rest of the room was "standard" but again - for the price I could have stayed in a more current hotel.

Now - if booking a group - I was disappointed to learn that the hotel did NOT honor it's original agreement with the bride to give her a room for free (even though their was a staff change over). To me this is standard when you have a group in the Sandman. I used to bring them lots of business and never had a problem so was disappointed they didn't honor their commitment.

Overall - I'd make the drive from another hotel in the area for the price and probably end up with a nicer room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank CaitieBC
Drumheller
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I am a frequent visitor at Sandman West and over the 20 plus visits I find the hotel always exceeds my expectations. The front desk staff are friendly and accommodating, the rooms are always nice and clean and I enjoy Dennys food. Sandman West will continue to be my hotel of choice when visiting Calgary.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the front side especially in the winter. Canada Olympic Park is magical at nigh...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pzwolfDrumheller
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We ttok a trip to Calgary in September for a wedding and decided to stay here as it was close to the ceremony and where our friends lived. I had of course read the numerous reviews on here and I was very apprehensive about paying good money to stay in a sub standard Hotel. We booked the jacuzzi room for the four nights we were in Calgary and this room was really comfortable and spacious. The Hotel is opposite the olympic village and this was our view from the bedroom, we were offered what side of the hotel we would like to stay on and this is the side to pick as the view form the other side is a bit industrial. This was my first time to Canada and as with everywhere we went the people were the most friendly I have encountered on my travels, the hotel staff being no exception, they were courteous, friendly and extremely helpful with any query. We really liked the room, air con was brialliant as it was high 20's and 32 degrees the day of the wedding. In saying this though, the heating and humidity in the hallways and the elevator was unbearable, we also heard a couple complain that it was worse down at the swimming pool. We didnt complain about this as we spent very little time in the Hotel so maybe there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this.
We ate in the Denny's attached to the Hotel on a couple of morning's, WOW they do big breakfast's - will keep you going for the day. There is also a Bar attached to the Hotel, we popped in here on two nights and had a ball with the staff and locals.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at this Hotel, spotless room, great size and very practical for heading into the Rockies, Banff etc...
P.S. This part of the world is a must to see...Banff is like a town from a disney movie - I can only imagine what it is like with snow...

Room Tip: Jacuzzi room facing the Olypmic village is my recommendation - they also have rooms with balconies o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank perecallaghan
Leduc, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2012

After driving across the country this was our last stop before edmonton. Check in was a breeze. Room was small and cramped, hair in the bathroom, strange red mark on the floor by the bed. when my fiance slid into bed he got coated in squished berries. DISGUSTING. room service said they'd call us right back. they didnt. this was 11pm!. we went down and they gave us a key to another room. it hadnt been cleaned. front desk didnt believe us and made us go all the way back up there dragging our things a 2nd time! put us in another room that smelt like pot. the fridge was hard to open from sticky filth. bathroom had face cloths on the floor. Sheets had a hole. Were told manager would help next morning. we were given a 30 dennys gift card. which didnt even cover our meal. night. from. hell.

Room Tip: dont stay here. period. unless you want to be surrounded by filth.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cherri75
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

In all my travels, I have never experienced such rude service from a front desk staff member - his name is Jeremy.

I was told that if I did not allow the hotel to put a $250 hold on my credit card for charging privileges, he would not give me my hotel keys - even though my room was already paid for. There was nothing on my reservation email or reservation form that stated I had to allow this and was ridiculous as I wasn't going to charge anything. I have stayed in four and five star resorts that do not do this.

I asked to speak to a manager and was told no one was on duty until the next morning (I checked in at dinner time). However, the in-room directory stated that there is always a manager on duty and to request one if necessary.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel unless you wanted to be treated rudely - especially by Jeremy at the front desk...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
gm_calwest, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary West, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank for your response for your last stay. We have checked your reservation and as the reservation was made online by yourself and not via a 3rd party site like Expedia/Travelocity your credit card was not charged at time of reservation. With all reservations we do require the guests to have a valid credit card along with ID to ensure safety of your information. The $250 as mentioned is to cover the Room and Taxes for your reservation and to provide you with charging privileges for the onsite restaurant and lounge along with pay per view movies and phones. We do apologize for the inconvience this may have caused.
Calgary
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. When I went to check in a disgruntled employee was complaining about his work place to a friend on the phone. He seemed flustered when he began the check in process with me. When I entered the room there was the sound of running water when I entered. Upon inspection, I discovered the toilet was running because the valve inside the tank was not properly seated (easy fix). Not so pleasing was the pubic hair on the toilet seat and the used Kleenex under the sink. The room itself was spacious and the seating area nicely separated the bed from the rest of the room. Overall the finishes in the room were nice, but the room should have been cleaner.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Ron N