“My son got a 2nd degree burn on his thumb here!”
Review of TELUS Spark

TELUS Spark
Ranked #21 of 303 things to do in Calgary
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: TELUS Spark is a non-profit organization with a mission to become a role model and force for social change. It takes a core set of skills to create something new, whether it's a ground breaking discovery or a toy robot. TELUS Spark is a place to build these skills by using your imagination to see beyond what exists, your curiosity to formulate a question and persistence and problem-solving skills to keep going, despite surprises and mistakes, to find the confidence in yourself to uncover the answers.
Edmonton, Canada
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 216 helpful votes
“My son got a 2nd degree burn on his thumb here!”
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

We decided to try the new science centre with my 2 year old toddler & my newest baby. I arrived early - I wanted to avoid the crouds. Had to pay for parking (not impressed) then arrive & see a ton of children/schools. They were allowed in early to check out things. I found yhe downstairs quite boring - upstairs is a little better. After lunch we went back and played some more - and at the glue gun station we put something together & I went to take a picture - my son touched the glue by accident & immediately started screaming! The glue gun had a malfunction & glue got way too hot. He received a 2nd degree burn on his thumb : ( What made this a lot worse was that no one called to check up on him! Payed almost $30 after parking & admission - had to leave due to.his burn & go to the dr then get burn cream. Horrible experience & costly.

10 Thank Corimarnell

Ottawa, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Boring”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I also found it over priced and not up to my expectations .did enjoy the IMAX theatre but if you just
Want the IMAX you still have pay entrance for both. Some of the interactive materials were feathers and slips of paper and on the floor. There was a lot of wasted space. Some of the oil and gas info was interesting and the water diversion plant had the little ones playing in water for awhile.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank susan a
Calgary, Canada
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“They to make science fun!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The "science centre" is a lot of fun for people of all ages. It's educational while being enjoyable for everyone. They have separated the centre into a number of different zones that deal with a variety of subjects so if you have limited time, go to the area of interest; if you have more time, start at the entrance and work your way around the building.

They have a great little kids' zone (for kids up to 8) I wish I was young/small enough to play in. Some of the activities are good for parent & their youngster; but a lot of it is just fun for the small kids.

They have classrooms and labs for private functions or school/service clubs (i.e. scouts), they show movies and have planetarium shows, and even a monthly "Adults Only Night" evening so us older folks can enjoy the facility without competition from the kids - oh yes, and it's a licensed event to make it even more enjoyable. ;)

Their educational and entertainment programming is second to none; so, if you want an enjoyable time, Telus Spark is well worth it for anyone! Below, I've said you need more than 3-hours; but, it depends on how much you want to read and/or try the hands-on displays. If you simply want to cruise around and "see" it all, you could probably do it all in an hour. If you are the type who wants to read and/or try everything, you'll probably need a little more than 3-hours.

Visited May 2014
Red Deer
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fun for all Ages”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have a 10 and 5 year old who had a blast at SPARK but my wife and I had just as much fun as the kids. We were there for 3 hours but couldn't get to all the exhibits. We did go to the show about fire and it was educational but fun and interactive as well. There are many small stations to do small educational and fun projects. You need to spend more than a few minutes at many of them because you can do cool things like make your own movie or music creation.
Parking is free with your admission which I feel is reasonable considering how many hours you can spend here. Surprisingly the Cafe was reasonably priced as all four of us ate for $32.00 and got a fair amount of food. We will definitely be back in July when the outdoor section opens.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Dale S
Calgary, Canada
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Boring”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The old science center was much better. I found the new one boring and sadly, so did my three boys. Very overpriced and you have to pay for parking on top of that. Not worth the value, unless you have an awesome coupon.

Visited July 2013