“Not what I would call an Airport hotel!!”

Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport
Ranked #53 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Gold Coast, Australia
“Not what I would call an Airport hotel!!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had a horrible experience here!
The rooms were great and breakfast was amazing but the service let it down in all areas!
I will start at the beginning, first, we were advised that upon arrival at Calgary airport we would need to call them for the shuttle as they don't take advance bookings and that there would be a direct dial phone to call the hotel, we arrived around 12am and went to the apparent hotel calling area...our hotel was not on the list! after pulling up my emails and double checking my information we looked again, nothing. We found two quarters at the bottom of our travel wallet and used a payphone to call the hotel. We were informed that the call box is OUTSIDE the airport (in the shuttle parking area) and it would be a 30-40 minute wait for the shuttle!
After just getting off the plane from Australia we were not really inclined to wait around until 1am so we decided to take a taxi, assuming an airport hotel couldn't be too far, boy were we wrong. Almost 30 mins and $50 in a taxi. At that stage, all we wanted to do was sleep so we were a little put out, but not too worried.
On check in the man behind the desk was extremely, flustered as he had one other person aside from us at the desk and gave off an "I'm very busy" vibe, our check in was long as he kept stopping to chat to the gentleman behind us and to answer the phone (which was a call from the kitchen, not even a guest!!)
We finally got to our room around 145am and the bed was divine, the showers good and the air-con was great!! Used the shuttle to get to the airport the following day as we were taking day trip to visit friends and there was no real trouble getting the shuttle from the hotel, except it was VERY full! when we got back that evening, same thing, we were told the shuttle would be 30 mins, it almost an hour until it actually arrived! on the drive back, the driver was talking on her phone, with the handset up too her ear! Now I'm no saint when it comes to things like that, but one would assume if you drove a vehicle for a job, you would invest in a handsfree?? When i tried to take my concerns up with the manager on duty, he was very evasive, did not look at me, just stared at his computer screen and mumbled an almost apology!

All in all, we had a follow up, pre booked and pre paid stay with these guys but we chose to wear the cost and stay elsewhere!

1 Thank Alexandra M
StaybridgeYYC1, Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at the Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here on business for just one night, but was suitably impressed. Good rooms, nice buidling, good gym, but what stood out was the service of the staff - friendly, efficient, genuinely caring - it is what makes this property stand out. Kudos! I also liked that there was proper dishes and cutlery available in the breakfast room - I hate eating and drinking out of styrofoam - keep it up!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mikeyjoe68
StaybridgeYYC1, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you so much for the glowing review! We always appreciate receiving reviews such as yours and have passed your kind comments on to our team. We are most proud of our brand and employees as we are a team that strives to exceed our guest expectations on a daily basis.

We are very pleased to know that our efforts have not gone unnoticed. Our team and hotel are very special and dedicated in creating a revolution in the hospitality industry. Our service and values are at our outmost best in the hotel industry, we are committed in providing 100% satisfaction from the moment you arrive through the front doors. It has been an honor for us to have you as our guest as we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Calgary.

Warmest Regards,

Calgary
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I do not have words enough to describe what the stay at Calgary Staybridge Suites meant for my family and myself. We stayed at this fabulous hotel for 3 weeks and have never encountered staff, service or facilities as pleasant and welcoming at they were here. The complementary full hot breakfast in addition to complementary full supper three nights a week was the nicest surprise and we took full advantage!! My three kids spent countless hours at the pool with twisty water slide while I either lounged in the hot tub or did laundry at the complement laundry room. The store adjacent to the check in/out counter was open 24/7 and was full of anything we required. The manager to this hotel is the nicest man I have ever met and my whole family of 5 would say the same. He was always around to help or just to chat over a coffee. As the Staybridge brand is located all over the world, we will strive to plan our vacations around there locations and will remain loyal as the Staybridge Suites deserves nothing less.
The Manchester's

Room Tip: All rooms are great!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle M
StaybridgeYYC1, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, we’ll make sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the team. Here at the Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport we try to make everyone feel our hotel is a home away from home, and I'm so glad we could provide that comfort for you during your stays. You and your family always have a room here. Perfect Service and Satisfaction is the Top Priority as we have just received the 2013 Guest Satisfaction Award.

I'm also so happy to hear that you have the opportunity to interact with our team members.
Trust me; they enjoy it as much as you do.

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and other travelers, please feel free to like us on facebook @ staybridgesuitescalgaryairport as we update our page with new and exciting events.

Warmest Regards,

Espanola, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here last year and the experience was so good that we booked our room for Stampede 2013 one year in advance. Our 11 day booking was for a king bed suite but upon arrival we were given a room with two queen beds. When we asked about this we were told by the manager Shaf that our original room was under repair due to the recent flooding and was not ready. After the Calgary flooding, my wife called the hotel 4 times to reconfirm our booking and was told everything was fine. While I realize that there was flood damage in other areas of the city, this property is on high ground and this area was not affected. We are not happy and have expressed this to Shaf on more than one occasion. He did apologize and offer us 5,000 IHG points that have not shown up on our account. We are returning visitors to the city but next year we will not be staying here.

2 Thank Colin S
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel is near the airport, but with a rental car, it took me a while to find it. It seemed that I drove about 15 minutes, and the hotel was on a different side of the airport. This is probably not a problem if you take their shuttle.

Check in was friendly. Instead of a king, I got a two-queen suite. Room was decent and clean. Towels were a bit thin for my taste, and one of the beds were placed right in front of the air vents, so it was a bit chillier than the other one.

Breakfast was ok, but nothing special. The fruits were not great, but oat meal was very good.

The price was a bit on the high side, but I think because of the Stampede, the whole town is a bit inflated.

1 Thank palladia
StaybridgeYYC1, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Hello and thank you,

We are so happy that you loved your experience at the Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport

The Staybridge Suites experience is to make our guests feel comfortable and relaxed, like a member of the family, not just our guest.

We have complimentary breakfast, a weekly social hour where we serve appetizers, Wi-Fi, self laundry facilities and a kitchenette in every single room for our guest’s convenience.

A 24 hour complimentary shuttle to and from the airport, is a proud service the Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport provides for the convenience of our guest.

It has truly been a pleasure to have you as our guest and hope to welcome you back real soon.

Best Regards,

Winnipeg Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My overall experience at this hotel was excellent. The check-in and check-out process was quick and easy.

I was greeted by several staff members and all amenities were outlined for me. I requested and received a room on the main floor close to the gym, laundry and exit doors. They provided a DVD player in every room which I find to be a huge bonus.The hotel that signs up for NetFlix and offers their guests free movies would get my business everytime and I am surprised hotels have not considered this option.

The hotel provides a complimentary theme dinner from Tuesday through Thursday and the food selection was really very good; lots of variety.

The only negative comment I have is in regards to the wireless Internet as it was exceedingly slow. I miss the days when hotel rooms had access to the Internt through a wall jack. This is a much faster option than wireless but perhaps in this case it is their provider. For business people, a fast Internet connection is vital.

The hotel is close to the Calgary Airport, Tim Horton's, Chapter's and the Sunridge Mall. There are tons of great restaurants in the area. Be careful leaving the hotel however as there is a busy intersection of other hotel exits and traffic from Tim Horton's and McDonald's.

Overall though, excellent hotel and I would recommend it to friends, family and coworkers.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the breakfast area, laundry, gym or rear exits choose rooms 115 through 1...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hotel_Dweller
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted to have been part of making your first visit to the Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport a memorable one. We are happy our room décor has further enhanced your time with us. Our staff is poised to go above and beyond to provide you with the first class service that we pride ourselves on consecutively delivering. Our breakfast is indeed very popular with all of our guests hence we do remind our guests to plan accordingly during peak hours. On your next trip to Calgary, give us a call and we will be happy to assist with making a return reservation.

Best Regards,

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This review is based on a short visit as we arrived late in the evening and left the next morning.
When we arrived the reception desk was unmanned - and we thought" oh no" but then appeared Inis ( I think that's how it was spelt) bearing a plate of freshly baked cookies !! what a great welcome to two tired travellers.
The room was large divided into one area with settee/cooking facilities/table and chairs and a sleeping area with comfy bed and pillows.
Bathroom like the room itself was nice and clean with adequate supply of towels.
Varied breakfast available in the morning but omelettes appeared to have been out for a while and the orange juice tasted as if it had been diluted - the rest was fine.
If you didn't want to stay in downtown Calgary then this hotel would make a good base for exploring the Calgary area and it is only a fifteen minute drive from the airport ( depending on the road closures during the massive reconstruction around the airport !!).
Would recommend it to couples/families wanting an overnight stop before continuing their holiday or wanting to stay longer.
Restaurants and shopping mall close by

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellingRachel
StaybridgeYYC1, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind and honest comments. As we always take pride in providing excellent customer service,your comments have been forwarded to all the team members, as we provide a ''home away from home'' feeling, we as a team are all proud in providing you this memorable experience in our hotel. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.