“Nice hotel with excellent facilities”

Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport
Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights on business in February. Rooms are relatively small but have a full size fridge and cooking facilities. With a stove and microwave and a small store on-site you can eat no matter what time you arrive. Breakfast is supplied and is a bit better than what you would normally expect at this sort of Hotel. Breakfast pizza for example. Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean and tidy. It's also close to a large shopping mall and there are lots of restaurants locally. So if you don't need a full service hotel (they don't clean the rooms every day here) this is the place to be.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
StaybridgeYYC1, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Thank you so very for your review, we are so thrilled you found our hotel to be of great value.
We spent a great deal of time in recruitment process and I`m glad that you’ve noticed our team is always eager to provide excellent customer service and make sure our guest`s stay is most enjoyable.

The Staybridge is a very unique brand of hotels, as our guest suites are more of a home away from home in that way our housekeeping service consists of a light cleaning.

Thank you once again for this glowing review.

There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport

Reviewed March 27, 2013

The rooms are set up for long term stay, the AC unit is quiet, using the free internet is very poor and was unable to do any real work from my room. the exercise room was clean and had fresh towels available. I found the hot tub was not very warm and the jets were not working. Breakfast is not the best.The staff are very helpful. however I would not stay here long term. the alarm clock is bright and annoying I had to cover it with a pillow.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review, we look forward in welcoming you back real soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This hotel is a little different than the norm for Business Travel. No "European Plan" or "Continental" Breakfast here... try a free full buffet breakfast to satisfy Adults and Kids. Also has fullsize fridge in each suite with icemaker... no hunting your floor or other floors for unsanitary ice machine. Stove, Microwave, dishes, cups, mugs, and full set of utensils and cutlery in each room. and of course, a dishwasher.

1  Thank Bruce S
StaybridgeYYC1, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for a superb review and comments about practically every aspect of our hotel. I am so please to hear how much you enjoyed the quality of our facility and the service you received. It is wonderful to hear when we meet or exceed our guests expectations.

Feedback such as yours inspires us to continually strive to deliver the best possible experience for our guests, as we are dedicated in creating a revolution in the hospitality industry.

Looking forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Calgary.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had an absolutely great stay. The staff was always extremely helpful and friendly, the facilities were great and the space very comfortable. We travel frequently for business and personal and we can't remember the last time we were this happy with a hotel. Breakfast was well stocked, coffee, tea and hot chocolate available 24/7, pool, slide and hot tub were fun and free use of laundry facilities was a nice touch. Above all though, was the staff. Everyone always had a smile on their face and went out of the way to check with us every time possible if there was anything else they could do. Bravo! Wish I travelled to Calgary more often.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
StaybridgeYYC1, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hello and thank you so very much for your review. We really enjoy when we have guests that pay such close attention to the details of their stay, because we are a very detail oriented

We are so glad that you enjoyed our accommodations. Each one of our rooms is a modern suite that includes a full kitchenette. Each kitchenette has a full fridge, microwave, stove top, dishwasher and all the kitchenware our guests would need to make a nice home cooked meal for themselves. Also in the room is a bed that has been given many rave reviews by our guests as well.

We are so glad that you got to take part in our most popular complimentary amenities here. Our hot and cold daily breakfast buffet is offered between 6:30 and 9:30am Monday-Fridays and 7:30-10:30am on Saturday and Sunday, and we serve a different variety of foods daily.

We really do appreciate all of your thoughts about your stay and our hotel. We take great pride in the service and overall experience that we provide to our guests here, and are always looking for ways to make our guests feel more comfortable, and more at home. The most important part of this review is definitely that you would stay with us again, because this means we have done enough to make a guest want to spend more time with us here at the Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport.

Thanks again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went for business and the company booked me into the Staybridge. I was leery as I've never been and once I arrived, I was pleased with every aspect of the hotel.
The room was very clean, had comfortable beds and pillows. A kitchenette was a nice surprise also. There was continental breakfast every morning, but not just muffins....they had everything from eggs and bacon / sausages and hash browns, to muffins, fruit, yogurt and toast. At night they always had a delicious dinner and had cookies when you walked in or out of the doors. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
We will definitely stay with Staybridge again.

Room Tip: A rental car is needed if you want to see the sites of downtown Calgary.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your great review!

We thank you so much for recognizing the efforts of our staff to meet your needs, and make your stay more comfortable while in Calgary. We are all here to make you feel like this is you're home, away from home.

Again we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here, and even more delighted that you would stay with us again. We are looking forward for you’re visit back into Calgary!

King Regards,

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This by far is my favorite place to stay in Calgary. The main reason we stay is usually when flying out of Calgary airport - due to the free shuttle, but it's a great hotel whether you're using the shuttle or not.

Last year we had a difficult time with the shuttle, as our flight arrived late and when calling for the shuttle, we were told it wasn't running anymore, so had to take a fairly expensive cab ride, when I was already cold and tired at 2 am. This year, however, I was advised that the shuttle was 24 hours, so no problems. Yes, the shuttles only run at certain times within that 24 hours, but that's ok by me. It did take a while to get picked up when we returned, but it takes a while now for the shuttle to get to the airport, due to the airport construction.
The shuttle driver was probably the friendliest we've had.

The rooms are great, especially the 2 bedroom suites if you're travelling with kids and want a little extra space. Love the kitchen and the free breakfast is really good, with plenty of hot items, as well as the usual cereals, muffins, etc.

The only question we had this time is when checking in before leaving on vacation, the clerk told us we had to pay to leave our vehicle there? I asked when this policy started, and he said it's been the hotel's policy since the hotel opened. Well we've stayed here numerous times since the hotel opened (the very friendly clerk when we returned from our vacation recognizing us from last time) , always leaving our vehicle, and have never had to pay? So not sure what the story is there.

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom suites are fantastic if you're travelling with kids.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
StaybridgeYYC1, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you, it is guest like yourself who we have to thank for comments like this. As we always offer a very comfortable stay as well as providing excellent customer service for everyone, it is always so pleasant to read kind and honest comments, we as a team take pride in providing 100% satisfaction and comfort to all of our guests. We enjoyed your company, and cannot wait to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

After reading all the reviews on trip advisor, I booked a one night stay at this hotel. I was looking forward to a good night's sleep on my layover back home after 7 weeks in Mexico. I was so disappointed and wondered if it had read the reviews wrong.
Shuttle service from airport
It took me 2 tries to get through to the hotel for pick up. The connection was very poor and I barely could make out the instructions of where to go for pick up and when I could expect it. The van used for a shuttle was absolutely filthy inside. The driver didn't have a stool to assist me into the high van and I had a struggle as my mobility is some what limited. The van was malfunctioning and made a pinging noise off and on the entire 20 minute trip. The driver said it was something loose and couldn't be fixed until Monday. The driver himself was very friendly and pleasant. He apologized that he had to stop at another hotel first. The logos on the van said it was shared with the Comfort Inn and ??? can't remember the other one. He did tell me I needed to book the shuttle for return the next morning when I checked in.
When I went to make a reservation for the return shuttle, I was told it was only on the hour. My flight was at 10, meaning I had to be on the shuttle by 8 and breakfast wasn't available until 7:30. No leisurely start to another day of travelling! I noticed another van parked at the hotel with all the 3 hotels listed on the side and wondered why that could not have been put into shuttle service at peak times so the shuttle would be available every 30 minutes.
Front desk
The desk clerk gave me not one bit of information about the hotel, written or verbal. Wanted my email address and it gave it to him twice on request and finally asked why he wanted it. Short answer of 'for survey'. Gave me a paper to sign with an amount of $130 at the bottom. I was too tired to inquire what it was and thought the room tax was exorbitant in Alberta as the room was quoted to,cost only $108/night. He told me my room number, gave me keys and that was that. I looked around and found the elevator and when I got to my floor, I followed the arrows to my room, but the 207 room I was assigned did not have the number displayed on the wall visible from the incoming hall so I trucked my suitcases to the end and turned around to walk back before I saw the room I was assigned. Mentioning suitcases, it would have been very helpful to be directed to a luggage trolley for assistance. I saw those were available on my way OUT of the hotel in the morning. Carpets are difficult to pull some suitcases along especially heavy ones!
Room
The room was on the whole as I saw in the pictures. BUT I didn't count on the layers of dust and dirt under the bedside tables and bed. I dropped something and when i got down to pick it up, i saw the dirt. and the bed skirt was tucked up with the sheets. poor attention to detail of the larger things, what else did housekeeping miss! The carpets were stained. The chair at the desk was very worn. I couldn't not figure out how to turn the shower on and tried 5 times to call the front desk. 3 times I was rerouted to the main call centre and 2 times the line disconnected itself. I finally got through but again, the desk clerk was not at all helpful. I tried again at 3 AM and the night clerk was helpful enough to tell me where the shower turn on was. And before you laugh, it was not an obvious knob but a fitting on the water spout that turned around and around but needed to be pulled down to activate the shower. I have travelled extensively but have never run into that particular setup before.
There were bright spot lights shining into the room and it was not until the middle of the night when I got up to open the window that I found there were beige blackout curtains tucked in behind the beige lacy curtains. I had tried to fasten the decorative side curtains together to block out the light but no luck there.
I see by the reviews that there is a gym and a pool at this hotel. I never saw any documentation regarding its location or availability. There was no information package in the room that I was in. Usually that is the first thing I look for.
Positive note, the bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast
The food and number of selections of foods available was very good. I very much enjoyed the fresh waffles and strawberries. Tables in the room were well spaced for comfort. I was glad to see there was something nice about the hotel. The staff in the dining room were available for questions and pleasant.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank happyMexicotraveller
StaybridgeYYC1, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We take all our reviews seriously as it well help to continuously improve our property.

We truly apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We appreciate our Priority club Members loyalty and will always do our best to accommodate their requests! In regards to the your check in, when checking there are many notifications of what the Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport has to offer for instance in side your key packet and a billboard the is located at the front desk for our guest viewing , We are really sad to hear things didn't go as well as your expectations would have wanted. We would love to be able to offer an opportunity to make it up for you.

We do pride ourselves in making sure our guests are satisfied, so I wish you would have brought these issues to the manager's attention while you were here, so we could have investigated into the matter and made your stay more enjoyable.

I will also personally follow up with the executive housekeeper to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again.

We would love to be able to offer an opportunity to make it up to you. The problems you brought across are things we never would want our guests to experience, so I would like to correct these issues and prevent any future inconveniences.