“Not a good place for teams to stay”

Deerfoot Inn and Casino
Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Alberta
“Not a good place for teams to stay”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I reserved a room under a team booking code and showed up at the hotel only to be told I didn't have a reservation. My confirmation number was left at home so I was told I was out of luck as the hotel was sold out for the weekend. I was put up at a neighbouring hotel but had a devastated son at not being able to stay with the rest of his team. I was treated very poorly by hotel front desk staff because I didn't have a confirmation number with me so nobody believed I had made a reservation. Not only was my reservation "lost" but there were other people booked under our team code that were not on our roster and 2 of the families had more than one room reserved under their name when they had only reserved one. Unfortunately, those rooms were resold to other guests before I arrived. It was a nightmare for most of our team to book rooms so it shouldn't surprise me that my reservation went missing. There's also the issue of what happened to my personal information, including my credit card number, that I gave to the booking clerk over the phone. I was eventually moved to the DFIC on the second night and had a rough sleep as we were put in a room near the elevators and had to contend with yelling in the hallways until about 3 in the morning. When I got home and phoned the manager with my confirmation number so he could look into what happened to my booking, he accused me of giving me another guest's confirmation number! Extremely condescending attitude by most of the staff I encountered! Would not recommend this hotel to anyone! Too much trouble, not cheap and you may end up with no room!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jnoname
Bryce R, Guest Relations Manager at Deerfoot Inn and Casino, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Jnoname,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our property. We are very sorry to hear that you were confused about the reservation process that was set up by your team. I am very happy that we were able to accommodate you at our sister property for the evening and that our director of sales was able to get you with the team for the remainder of your stay. We always try to ensure that all our guests are able to share in the unique quality of service that we have to offer. There was certainly no lack of effort to ensure that you were well looked after. We are sorry that your opinion of your experience is not better after our attempts to ensure that you were well accommodated. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Bryce Reid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
York, UK
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I've stayed here for two or three nights on each of two business trips and the hotel was chosen purely for the convenience of the location as it's near to my work place. It's an ugly building and the internal decor is very drab. Check in and check out has been fine but the reception staff don't seem to have much enthusiasm. The rooms are very drab too. Tea is provided in the room but you have to boil the water in the coffee maker. So, so guess what? Your tea taste of coffee. The breakfasts are fine but the dinner menus lack any imagination. Service staff were generally very helpful. It's as if you were in the 1970's. My hotel experience in the city was in another league. if there isn't a show on there is nothing at all to do. I went into the casino which was a depressing episode of human social observation. I also went for a walk but there is just nothing of interest in the locale. The gym needs an upgrade. Given the choice, I'd stay in the city and commute out.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Strathmore, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Class Act Dance Festival brings us back to the Deerfoot Inn every year for the last four years. I have always found the hotel clean and comfortable; the staff friendly and helpful and the pool is great. A few bothersome things this year included:
- extremely hot and dry rooms. If you didn't keep the window open or have the air on, the room stayed at 25C!
-front desk told half our group that breakfast was not included in our dance group rate even though we had it every other year. Once the manager that agreed to breakfast in our contract was contacted we did get the breakfast vouchers.
-an extremely hostile guest down the hall. Not that the hotel can help the attitude or personal opinion of a guest but I think the hotel should be very upfront with potential guests that there is a dance competition going on in the hotel and several other sports teams staying. All the kids that I witnessed were well behaved and reasonably quiet in the halls but by the nature of competition and tournaments, there will be groups coming and going at all times of the day and evening and sometimes in a flustered rush!
-BUY MORE MICROWAVES! It's simply silly that this expensive of a hotel does not have a microwave in each room!

Overall, the hotel is great for our purposes and we always look forward to next year!

• Stayed March 2013
Bryce R, Guest Relations Manager at Deerfoot Inn and Casino, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear travel2bliss,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. We always love to get feedback from our guests regarding their visits. All of rooms have air/heat climate control to keep the temperature comfortable to your liking. We also have a full time maintenance team on hand to assist you with operating the system need be. I would like to apologize regarding the confusion with whether or not breakfast was negotiated in your block. We do have microwaves available in our Family Suites. If your preference is to have a microwave certainly you can book those rooms to ensure you get one. Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to having you back as our guest.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in a standard room. Cost 225 and didn't even order room services. Nothing special to justify pricing. Only bonus is the casino. Ate at the lobby lounge (forgot name) and it was quiet. Drink wasn't very good but food was. Nice atmosphere. Think I would not stay again. Too pricy for average.

• Stayed March 2013
Bryce R, Guest Relations Manager at Deerfoot Inn and Casino, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Jennifer C,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at the Deerfoot Inn & Casino. We are glad that you enjoyed the property during your stay with us. I am sorry that you felt the pricing of the rooms were higher than you wanted. Our property is priced evenly with other four star hotels in Calgary. We are also the only property that offers a unique experience with our casino, conference center and entertainment complex in Calgary. We do also have another property located 2 minutes from us that offers a lower rate for guests and includes a hot buffet breakfast, The Service Plus Inns & Suites. If you require a lower rate this may be a great alternative to enjoy what we have to offer. We hope to see you back during your next visit to Calgary.

Olds, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just stayed one night at the Deerfoot Inn as we attended a concert in the show room there. It was my birthday, so we decided to get a room for the night. The rooms were quite nice, although the beds weren't the best I've slept in at a hotel. Cheaped out there. I found it quiet and comfortable. Shower was great. Bathroom amenities were good.
I think $169 is a bit pricey for this location. I would stay more frequently to gamble in the casino if the rooms were more reasonable. The Easter brunch was amazing. Totally worth the $$.
Next time I will probably stay at a hotel that I can use travel rewards on and pay for a taxi, rather than the $169 they insist on sticking to. Never have I seen a deal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear cjopba,

We would like to thank you for sharing your special occasion with us here at The Deerfoot Inn & Casino. We are thrilled that you had a great experience with us and enjoyed our hotel room. It is always regarding to get feedback on a positive stay with us. If our hotel rooms are a bit too pricy for you we do certainly have monthly specials posted on our website. We also have a second property across the street opened in 2009 that does have a lower rate for those who prefer one, The Service Plus Inns & Suites. They include a hot buffet breakfast for all their guests and is located just 2 minutes from us. We certainly hope to see you on your next visit to Calgary and are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thanks,

Sorrento, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

For the price of the room, one would expect a continetal breakfast and a microwave in your room. When we checked in, I mentioned we were there for our 30th anniversay. We were congratulated and that's it. Maybe a bottle of wine or gift cerfiicate, but nothing. We went to the pub in the casino and had the worst meal ever, waitresses were cute, but not very professional. Had to ask for our meals that were sitting on the counter as they were busy talking to male customers. (meal sitting there for over 5 min). No cutlery or condiments were included with the meal. The rooms were clean and the hotel staff were courteous, but won't stay there again. The bedroom doors slam very loud when people are coming and going. Wake you up every time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tikapickle,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us at The Deerfoot Inn & Casino. We are glad that you enjoyed the service from the hotel staff during your time with us. Our hotel does have rooms with microwaves in them, we also have microwaves available for certain rooms upon request as well. Had you requested one we would have been happy to accommodate that if possible. We also serve breakfast inside our Mohave Grill staring at 6:30am. Although the breakfast is not included in the rate of the room there are several affordable options on the breakfast menu. I would like to apologize for the quality of service you had in our Wildhorse Pub. In general it is our priority to provide the best quality of service to all of our guests. Cleary you weren’t able to experience that in our Pub and we apologize for that. We would love to have you back as our guest during your next visit to Calgary to show you what a unique experience we have to offer.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2013

It's all very professional and the staff try to run a grown up luxury hotel with a casino, but they forgot the food. It's very expensive. It's not very good. The good food is miles away in a confusing road system, so don't forget your GPS. The hotel was very clean. Nice rooms with the usual amenities, but I had to take off 2 stars. You have to eat. For the prices they ask, you would think they could find a much better chef.

Room Tip: The bigger they are, the longer the walk to anything you want to go to. I recommend something close...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryce R, Guest Relations Manager at Deerfoot Inn and Casino, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Canuckincuba,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay with us here at the Deerfoot Inn & Casino. We are very happy that you enjoyed our staff and service during your time with us. I would like to apologize if your experience with our food was not as satisfying. We are well known in Calgary for the quality of food we serve at our property. Also our prices are very comparable to other 4 star properties in the city. It is always our hope to share our unique experience with all of our guests. I am very sorry to see that you didn’t get to experience that. Our front desk staff is well trained on providing directions to assist our guests with navigating through the city, and we also have complimentary maps available. We certainly hope that on your next visit to Calgary you will give us the opportunity to once again exceed your expectations.