“Not as good as it should be.”
Review of Ratatouille bistro - CLOSED

Ratatouille bistro
Cuisines: French, Moroccan, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Calgary
“Not as good as it should be.”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I've been to this place once (for lunch) and my wife has been twice and her second visit replicated the experience of the first visit.
It's got nice decor and is in a spot where a restaurant would be well received. I ordered the steak frites and my wife ordered the chicken salad. The prices are the usual high Calgary prices, but the piece of steak was thin and overcooked for the price and the piece of chicken on my wife's salad was very small. Probably a third of a chicken breast for a salad with no other starch or protein.
The food was tasty and the staff very pleasant, but you get the feeling that they are struggling to make the sums add up and skimping on ingredients. We won't go again.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank oliverhalliwell

calgary
“Lunch on a wet day”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

On impulse a friend and I decided to stop by for lunch at the newest edition to Britannia shopping centre.
We entered the restaurant shortly before noon. We were met by the server who was slightly put out that we hadn't made a reservation. But he reluctantly found us a table for two. Not a good start.
Note to restaurant - please make sure that the runners on the tables are crisply ironed
Our reluctant server then brought two menus and then left us for several minutes.
He could have asked us about drinks before disappearing
The menu looked interesting and we made our selections
Soup for my friend and salad for me to be followed by the calamari Provençal, which we intended to share
Everything tasted really very nice and we really enjoyed what we had chosen.
My friend then ordered the creme brûlée, which was big enough to share, there wasn't a morsel left of this decadent dessert
By this time the restaurant was full
We ordered another carafe of coffee, because by now the rain was absolutely teeming down
Then we tried to get the check, not easy, as our reluctant server was nowhere to be seen.
We weren't in any hurry, but slightly more attention to guests would be appreciated, especially as the restaurant has only been open for about a month and must be really trying to make a name for its self

• Visited May 2013