“C for crummy”
Review of Bar C - CLOSED

Bar C
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Food/Wine/Beer/Cocktail programs that are designed to be 'easy' so you can enjoy the company at your table, rather than over-thinking your choices from the menus. Featuring a cold bar for charcuterie, cheeses and preserves, draft sparkling wine and two flat-screen TVs for watching the game, Bar C is the place to unwind after work or to spend the night with old and new friends.Check out our unique wine program and fun cocktails. With old classics as well as modern twists, brunch is now available on the weekends from 11am - 4pm.The newest member of Canadian Rocky Mountain Resorts' family of restaurants, join Bar C's Head Chef Lancelot Monteiro for a night of tasting plates shared and savoured.
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We went to Bar C for New Years Eve this year. Unfortunately it was not a good experience on so many levels. First, the decor - again there are mixed feelings on here about it, but I found it cold and sterile. I really dont like sitting on stool type raised seating - some may - but I dont. I found the interior uninviting - and the table was soo tight. The table was set with so much stuff - it felt incredibly crowded. The whole thing felt uncomfortable and not somewhere I would want to spend the next 3 hours.

Our server - ( we affectionately called him Teen Wolf, because of the mutton chops ) was nice enough, but absent so many times throughout the evening. It was New Years Eve, and we sat and waited a considerable amount of time before someone was around to take a drink order. They were waiting for our entire party to arrive first..didnt understand why - for a drink?
Service throughout the night was sporadic, at times completely absent, and although our server was pleasant enough - service was frustrating. Seeing staff standing around at the back of the restaurant while we were sitting waiting at times was hard to swallow - now onto the food.
As a vegetarian - options were limited - I ordered 2 things - Roasted Beet Salad, followed by linguini with artichokes, black pepper and pecorino cheese. The roasted beet salad arrived and looked nice. Now I should say that it was tasty in so much that it had goats cheese, beets and candied walnuts in it. Unfortunately, the only thing that required preparation - the roasting of the beets, seemed to be lacking. Most slices were very hard - and required heavy duty use of the knife. Bummer. Now onto the next course, the pasta. The server asked if I wanted more vegetables in it - I said sure ( $4 surcharge added to the bill - would have been nice to have known that ). The portion was plentiful. Unfortunately it was bland, bland, bland. I kept thinking - I have made better at home... I only ate half of it. If it wasnt New Years and we were out for a festive night, I would have sent it back. A friend tasted it as well and thought it was terrible too. :(

Friends ordered the Baileys Cheesecake - which strangely enough - arrived in a glass. Kind of like a mini tiramisu type thing which could have worked if it wasnt so poorly executed. They had trouble cutting through the hard crust on the bottom of the glass. Crazy.

New Years Eve came and we were all given a couple of ounces of Prosecco. All in all the restaurant felt slightly sad and uninspired. I am surprised at some of the positive responses. I may have gone on a bad night - but I will not be back. With so many dynamic restaurants in Calgary - I will go somewhere else.

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Downtown Calgary on a Friday evening without a reservation,
and was referred to Bar C. We were fortune to be early, and got a table. This is Tapas style dining done very well. Best plates included the buffalo tartar, tuna tartar, beet salad, crispy salmon and mussels with frites. Great service, fun atmosphere and wonderful food. The only "miss" was the creme brûlée.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Been meaning to come here for a while. And am glad we finally made it! Shared: fish tacos, crab tempura, burger, and hot chocolate cake. Every last bite was AMAZING! The tempura was so tender and delicious - SMALL tho. Wanted more and more. The fish tacos were next and very, very tasty. Lastly, the burger was amazing! WAY better than Market's burger down the street. And the hot chocolate cake - you need your own it is so delicious. All in all - this place is a 10/10. Will be back for sure. I will say it is a bit pricey. The tempura should be a lot less for what you get. The rest is moderately priced. But portion size is a bit smaller than I expected - but WELL worth it.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been to this place a few times now and I have not been disappointed. They have a nice selection of beers on tap that are from different micro-breweries. My personal favourite is the Hibiscus beer from Quebec. It's kinda pink which is weird but tastes fantastic. In the three times I have been there I have ordered something different each time. Everytime I have had a delicious meal. The chef has put together a nice menu with a variety of different foods all of which are bursting with flavour. You could probably pick an item off the menu blindly and be happy with the outcome. I have found the staff to be quite friendly and accommodating. My favourite entree that I have ordered so far was the chorizo-elk burger. It was honestly the best burger that I have ever had. The only negative thing that I would have to say about this place is that I wished that I lived a lot closer so I could eat there every day.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We recently went to Bar C to celebrate a family occasion and to be honest about it, we were a little disappointed but I can't quite put my finger on why. Being a part of the CRMR group of restaurants we kind of expected to be supremely impressed but it didn't turn out that way. The staff is friendly in a way but not really engaging but the food was good. All things considered we'll probably go back and give them another try.

1  Thank GordonM1957