“Delicious In Any Language!”
Review of Sabroso Restaurant - CLOSED

Sabroso Restaurant
Cuisines: Latin
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 17th Ave & 14th Street S.W.
Description: We serve high quality local ingredients mixed with Latin & International cooking techniques to appeal to the Canadian palate. True to our flavours yet understanding of this culture. We serve selected New World wines and cocktails made with Pisco, Cachaca or Rum. We also carry a big variety of non alcoholic cocktails and imported soft drinks and beers such as Inca Kola, Guarana, Malta Polar, Bucanero, Cristal, Alhambra, Estrella, etc.
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to find they were offering a set Valentine's menu this evening, the day after Valentine's. We were greeted immediately at the door by the hostess and as we were ushered to our window seats, but as we were about to sit I was directed aside as if being called to the principal's office. I was surprised to find I was being offered my choice of red or white rose to present to my wife. A nice surprise and nice touch!

We were fortunate to have Orlando, one of the partners, serve us this evening. As busy as he was overseeing the restaurant operations, he provided excellent service and shared his and his restaurant's history with us. A free glass of sparkling wine was presented first. As this was a set menu we could choose from soup or salad, three appetizers, three entrees & two desserts. The meal also included a glass of wine with dinner. We chose red which I believe was a nice Argentinian and was listed first on the wine list.

We decided on the Butternut Nut Squash soup for our first course. It was delicious but was barely lukewarm. We selected two appetizers to share. The first, a skewered prawn with aji panca & soy sauce and a duck wonton dish as our second appetizer. Both were delicious and could easily eaten more.

We had a difficult time choosing the main course. As I had read so many positive reviews for the Chimichurri Hanger Steak, I had to try it. This dish is wonderful, full of texture & flavour due largely to the mouthwatering Chimichurri sauce. My wife opted for the Salmon (not a menu regular item) dish. We sampled each other's dish and as good as the Hanger Steak was, the Salmon won hands down! Both were however,excellent.

We enjoyed live music all during dinner which was lively but not over powering on our conversation. It was fun to watch Orlando jump in and join the guitar player/singer with complimentary bongos and other hand instruments.

The only negative on the evening was dessert. My wife ordered the churros but I wasn't asked what I wanted. Three small churros arrived along with two chocolate dipped strawberries. The churros were disappointing as they were small and over cooked. After we finished the churros I called over Orlando and I offered (tongue-in-cheek) to buy a Sabroso Classic Flan for myself. I was surprised to find a $9 charge on our bill for this supposedly free item! Neither the churros (menu price $10) or the Flan are good value and are average desserts at best. We would not order dessert in the future.

Parking is extremely limited and we had to park a block away. Overall, we had a fun time and enjoyed our food & the atmosphere very much. We do look forward to going back again soon! Our rating drops from a perfect score because of the dessert fiasco.

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We chose this restaurant because of the reviews. There have been a number of amazing Latin restaurants in Calgary that are no longer around and I was looking forward to trying this new "gem" of a restaurant. I have travelled to many of these countries and Calgary has in the past done an incredible job recreating these flavours. I have to disagree with those reviews after our experience. First the good: restaurant was beautiful and atmosphere was ambient. Wine was good. We called ahead because we were going to be bringing kids and wanted to ensure they accommodated kids. They reassured us kids came all the time. I have trouble believing that. There was no kids menu and when we asked for what could be done for the kids they offered a chicken and cheese tortilla. We waited over an hour for our food and the tortilla had goat cheese on it. Please tell me how many kids you know that will eat goat cheese. I don't know one. They brought us corn bread that we had to ration for the kids as that's all they had for them. My mom had her drink taken away before she was finished and after waiting forever the portions were the smallest I had seen. My dads order looked half the size of an appetizer. Everyone at the table was still hungry and we are definitely not huge eaters. I rarely finish a plate at any restaurant. After paying an exuberant amount of money, we left and walked a block to McDonalds. I hadn't been to McDonalds in years. Burgers and fries were ordered. One thing about Latin culture I have learned in my many years of experience is you never leave a household or restaurant hungry. What a disgrace. My mother in law would be horrified.

1  Thank Princessa77
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This place has been sailing with good reviews so we were excited to break up the winter chills with some Latin fare. In the way that Joey Tomatoes isn't bad per se, this place just isn't great. Meat was overlooked on the anticuchos, ceviche portion is tiny and not fresh enough to keep the fish tender. Chimichurri flank steak is rubbery and fatty, it is a tougher cut but you can get it better than they have done. Chicken dish is overly fatty and plain rice under a heat lamp has no love. Pio Peruvian in the NE by Sunridge doesn't have the sane atmosphere but the good is so much better and sooo much more value. Don't get lost in the hype on this one !! The iPhone order system they have made for impersonal screen staring service as well.

1  Thank Indiecana
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Alejandro and his brother Orlando set the standard here (as does their staff) for excellent: service, warmth and food. The restaurant is at the western edge of Calgary's beltline district, and while it is easily missed driving by, one should make the time to walk through the doors, which are off of 16th Ave SW. While you should make a reservation, you will be warmly greeted regardless. The menu is not overly extensive, but contains standard latin items of interest, and a number of unique drinks, appys and mains, not seen elsewhere in Calgary.

Interestingly. most of the mains are similarly priced, thus allowing one to order what they wish, rather than being price driven.

My wife and I started with a shared calamari (excellent mayo dip).She had the snapper, while I had the chimichurri steak - both were excellent, and while they appeared small in comparison to mains at some "name" restaurants, they were more than of a sufficient size for us (and we were hungry). Don't miss the bread pudding - YUM !!

Our warmest thanks to Alejandro for making this, our first visit, so memorable. We will be sure to make many more visits here. Please note there is live entertainment after 8 pm Friday and Saturday nights.

In this price range (very reasonable) I would rate this one of our top 5 restaurant experiences in Calgary.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Dinner at this restaurant over the holidays and we really enjoyed it. Very interesting menu, Latin themed with several dishes from Argentina for example. The mixed grill plate (can't remember the official name) was really good. Combination of sausage, beef, chicken, shrimp, all barbequed perfectly with some very good flavors. The ceviche appetizer sea food was also very good. The entre was expensive (by far the most expensive dish on the menu) but we really enjoyed it. They have live music some evenings, and it seems like a comfortable place. We will be going back.