“Evening of Enjoyment”
Review of Yellow Door Bistro

Yellow Door Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Yellow Door Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 3,757 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2013

With a reservation we were immediately seated. The table spacing was intimate yet also perfect for our group of 7. Wonderful atmosphere, unique art and scrumptious menu options....every item that was ordered was enjoyed thoroughly. French onion soup was one of the best ever and the crab salad was equally memorable! Great to see a beverage selection on an i-pad so a customer can narrow their search for the perfect refreshment in record time.

1  Thank MaDuck18

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Had a wonderful experience at yellow door bistro last night...was immediately greeted by a friendly hostess, my server was just as friendly and very knowledgable about the menu, she suggested the fondue to start and the lamb both I had and both were superb...amazing flavours. Although they had a very nice wine selection I decided on a cocktail from the menu which was the best gin based cocktail I ever had with lemon juice and blackberries. Will be coming back very soon and highly recommend it!

1  Thank Robyn W
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I would like to summon my experience at Yellow Door Bistor in one word....WOW....!!!!! Yes, 5 exclamation marks right there. I live in calgary since 2009 and are somewhat accostumed to the poor service that you receive at most places...(You name it...) And the lack of creativity, quality ingredients and decently cooked meals that seem to be the bread and butter of this city. Yellow Door Bistro has completely changed my perspective in fine dining in Canada and I love the fact that we are starting to have real restaurants that are paired up to the level of any mayor city. In my experience the food, service, and amazing cocktail, wine, beer selection of this place can challenge any place that prides themselves of setting trends around the globe.

The Mrs. Had (Dinner...) The carrot/warm goat cheese salad. Beef tenderloin and the Ile Flotant. (From the bar) French 75 for starters and switched to an amazing glass of Bordeaux recommended by the sommelier (Michael, Must mention what a charming, knowledgeable guy...!) And the Yellow Door Bistro Specialty coffee with dessert. She was pleased and in awe of her dining experience.
For me (Dinner) Foie gras/Rabbit rillete. Lamb and Chocolate Valhrona. (From the bar) I had a Sazerac!! (Yeah in Calgary not New Orleans...!) Perfectly executed by the bartender. Kronenbourg blanc draught for dinner and espresso with my dessert.

Yellow Door has done what I thought was impossible at least for me in Calgary... I can't wait to go back... A la Prochaine mes Amis!!

2  Thank Sebastian B
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went to the Yellow Door for lunch. Very nice décor. Greeted at door immediately and sat down. Offered sparkling of still water. they checked my coat.
I had the Baked French Onion soup for $8.00. It had real Oxtail in it and the waiter was sure to let me know that the ingredient was there. It was really, really good. I would give the dish a 4 with the exception of the price tag. I expected a BIG bowl for that price. A really big bowl. It was exactly the same that I have had at other restaurants for $5.99. Sorry, but would not go back for that item again.
The other guest had a flatbread-the Wild Mushroom. It was a whole piece of flatbread cut into wedge shape pieces. The toppings did not go all the way to the end of each piece. Unfortunately the pesto sauce was dripping. As in DRIPPING off the pieces. Horrible. Absolutely horrible.
So, in the end, the atmosphere is nice, décor nice, waiter nice, food good for me, not good for the guest. Nice that their was a bit of difference in the ingredients. Prices-well, both overpriced in our opinions

3  Thank Belinda S
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had reserved for dinner pre-theatre, selecting this new interesting spot based upon positive review on TA and on OT (which we reserved through). We were promptly greeted and seated upon arrival. Space is very modern and stylish, staff all smartly dressed in black and with signature yellow ties. Service was consistently friendly and professional. We were served by Ashley, who did a great job throughout. Staff works as a team, an approach which we like, and means that your water (unlimited still and sparkling both complimentary, a nice touch) and wine refills, servings and any other needs are all promptly attended to by a variety of staff working together seamlessly.

Food was excellent - scallops app perfectly cooked, Caesar salad uniquely done, mains of duck cassoulet (duck breast sous-vide and pork belly) and lamb saddle both perfectly cooked. Nice red Rhone 2009 vintage to accompany. Wrapped up with cappuccinos and shared chocolate fondant cake for dessert, and we were on our way. We'll definitely be back!

On the constructive note, a few more wines in the lower price point might be a useful addition to broaden accessibility.

If you found this review helpful kindly click on Helpful Yes link at top.

Happy dining!