“Beautiful Meal”

Cuisines: French, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Signature Mall by 17th Avenue SW and Sirocco drive
Transit: LRT West at Sirocco station.
Description: At Bistro Rouge, the foundation of our food begins with the best ingredients. We partner with local food growers. Preparing these quality ingredients with respect and expertise gives our French cuisine its regional flavor.
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Our family had dinner here this week and it was excellent. The food was unique, delicious, and fresh. It is a wonderful addition to the Calgary restaurant scene.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Six of us went to Bistro Rouge for dinner recently, all for the first time. The space is comfortable and elegant in a simple modern style. Our server was very attentive without being overbearing in any way. Some bistro classics on the menu such as steak frites, but also a number of creative dishes presumably inspired by the ownership connection to the other Rouge Restaurant in Inglewood. Very enjoyable dinner without being outstanding. Some interesting wines on the list. Will definitely return.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Last Sunday, we gathered at the Rouge Bistro for lunch! Our first time eating at this Bistro, everything we order was delicious from the energizer drink, fresh squeeze orange jus to the Croque- Madame and the lobster Egg Bennie. The service was attentive and we had a nice table by the window.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Wife and I went to Bistro Rouge, based on the recommendation of a few different friends, who had had positive experiences here. The location of the restaurant, is very close to us, and there aren't many decent options on the west hill. The restaurant itself, is elegantly decorated with a view overlooking downtown. October gets dark early, but I'm sure this is a lovely view in the spring/summer.

Showed up on a Saturday night in October. The restaurant looked fairly busy, with quite a diverse group of patrons. Definitely a mix of families with kids, to the couples for a night out, to the business crowd, which again highlights the absence of quality options west of Sarcee Trail.

The wine list is relatively small, but has a nice selection at different price points. We picked a Pinot Noir from Oregon, for $80...which was really nice. Starters for both of us, were the house special-of-the-day of heirloom tomatoes, with goat cheese, and a basil pesto (think of a caprese salad, but with pesto, instead of basil leaves). Quite nice. Some of the tomatoes were large, ripe beefeaters, while others were smaller whole tomatoes - blanched, skinned and cold. Overall a nice fresh dish, which we both enjoyed.
For the main, my wife went with the Atlantic Lobster, on noodles. A rich dish, where there's large pieces of lobster, in a tasty broth (not a cream sauce), served over fresh noodles. My wife's comment was that the noodles were a bit over-done, which is easy to do, if you're using fresh pasta. Overall, very tasty. I went with the evening special, which was Coq-au-Vin. It was flavourful, as you would expect coq-au-vin and served on spaetzle, which added a nice texture to the dish. I thought the chicken thighs were tough, and didn't peel from the bone very well....likely cooked at too high of a temperature, and for not long enough. There were also some broken thigh bones on the plate, which always makes me nervous, that there's going to be some shards in the dish.
For dessert, my wife went with the sticky bread pudding. She loved it. I went with the chocolate mousse, and thought it was ok, albeit a bit underwhelming. It's served in a piece of heavy glassware, which doesn't seem to match the general decor, or motif of the restaurant.

Overall damage was $240 including a decent tip, for attentive service. I didn't not like the restaurant, but for the price, I didn't love it, the way I had hoped. I would describe the experience as: "under-performing". I will go back and try it again, but I'm not going to rush back.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Disspapointing visit. Did not even get asked for drinks until 15 minutes after we were seated - were about to leave. Then the main course was incorrectly served. Starters and soup were good. Chicken was dried out, lobster tough . Will not return. It was obvious the waitress was overly busy - the boss was not and did not help her out.

Food was below standard but service was very poor.

1  Thank johnfb123