“Shady Hole in the Wall type of Donair”
Review of Aida's Donair

Aida's Donair
Ranked #1,635 of 3,770 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Now this is just my opinion of this place because it was fairly busy when I went so people must like it..however my experience was sub par. There are a bunch of Aida's locations in Calgary and please note this store is not affiliated with them at all.

The location is convenient. Mackenzie town is buzzing with pubs, restaurants and small businesses so this place would be ideal for people working in the area. However, Mackenzie town has a certain feel to it, things are nice and polished, however when you enter this restaurant...it just doesn't fit in the Mackenzie town setting.

The place is small with seating for about 15- 20 people. The menu is simple and you can order off the board.

I ordered off the board on got a regular falafal wrap and my friend got the Chicken shwarma. The Falafal was put into the microwaved and warmed however when I ate it it was hard and cold. I have had falafal before and it is usually crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It didn't seem fresh. My friend got the Chicken Shwarma and seemed to enjoy it. When we got to the till and asked for water they said they had run out of cups and could not give us water....we were then encouraged to buy a bottled drink.

We got Snapple and it did not taste like Snapple. It was disgusting. We don't know if it was just old or been out in the sun too long...but there was something off about it. The freezer was not fully stocked either looking quite empty so there wasn't a lot of selection.

We also ordered fries, those were fine. They tasted like home made crinkle fries. Nothing special.

The total for my bill with a regular falafal wrap, fries and a can of pop was $9.17

The workers use tongs when making your food however they do not wear gloves. They use a meat shaver to shave the meat off the rotators. They use the same tongs for the chicken and the beef - which may not be an issue for most people but for the religious purposes of some individuals they should be using different tongs for the different meat and a different set of tongs for the veggies. Using separate tongs is also good sanitation practice.

I would not visit here again because it is nothing special. Nothing really popped up at me as being unique about this dining experience. If you want to check it out for yourself then go for it.

2  Thank Deevanee