“Great food/service”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

The staff are very friendly and the atmosphere is great (not too loud). A hidden gem. They also offer 10% off if you pay cash which nice (albeit a little fishy).

There are newer reviews for Red Ember Japanese Cuisine

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Red Ember is a quaint and cozy Japanese restaurant located on the ground floor of a building on 6th Ave and the west side of 14th St. NW. After 6 PM, parking is free in the rear of the building immediately to the north....access via the back alley off of 6th Ave. The staff are friendly and attentive. There is a large flat screen TV for sports fans, and soft music plays in the background....very relaxing. The complimentary salmon tempura appy was very good, as was our tempura prawn dish. The sashimi was excellent....lots of tasty fish. The sushi rolls we ordered were very fresh and very good as well, with the fish on top of the roll rather than inside....it allows you to savor the fish rather than just the rice. Everything we ordered was presented on one plate, which made it easier to navigate with the chopsticks. The sauces that were drizzled over the rolls complimented the flavors nicely, but didn't overwhelm them. The prices are reasonable. We stayed until 7: 45 PM on a weeknight and were the last ones there.....I imagine it's a lot busier on weekends. You can definitely tell the chef cares about quality and freshness, which is a must for sushi foodies. My wife said the leftover rolls she made short work of at lunch the following day tasted just as good as they did the previous evening. As General MacArthur once said, I shall return!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am very lucky to work in the building where this restaurant is located. I eat here at least once a week sometimes more. I also bring it home for dinner on occasion and my husband raves about it every time I do. The service is always personal and exceptional. Whether you want to take out or eat in this is a great choice.

1  Thank Julie M
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

This place is the best Japanese we have had (and we used to live on the coast), and the service is very personable. We really like the atmosphere, it has a cozy feel and it's also very clean. Have to pay for parking I believe.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We love the sashimi at Red Ember. It is fresh and tender. We appreciate the presentation. The service is respectful and attentive. We enjoy the salmon tempura with the delicious accompanying sauce. It is a must. We would love to see katsu don on the menu. :)

1  Thank VelaGirls