“Nothing special..”

Thai Bistro - Uptown
Ranked #2,498 of 3,725 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went with a friend and ordered a stir fry chicken dish and my friend had a noodle dish which was really good he said. The problem with this food is it is full of surprises,some of them being unpleasant, like really hot spicy leaves that suddenly hit you like a ton of bricks,or peppercorns still on the branch that leave you chewing on a hard twig all of a sudden.My stir fry was very oily with a pool of oil on the bottom. Yuck ! I have eaten Thai food before and it was not like this at all. I will try other Thai food restaurants but will not be returning to this one.The service was however, very good.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Visited for the first time because of an on line coupon and was pleasantly surpised with the excellent quality of the food. I have left many Thai restaurants thirsty due to the amount of MSG used but not this one. The stuffed chicken wings was excellent, especially with our 2 young kids!! we reordered twice more during the dinner! Tm Yum soup was VERY sour but everything else we order was excellent. Total bill was just over $100 for 3 adults and 2 toddlers, without any drinks.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My bf and I went to this downtown location last night. We arrived at 7pm to an empty restaurant and a robust conversation happening between two servers. Right away I realized were in a very casual, kinda quirky, fast-food type atmosphere. No problem...let's see if the food is any good. And it was. We both enjoyed our dishes (BBQ duck/red curry and spicy seafood dish, with a shared coconut rice). The place started to fill up and we were told it's usually very busy. I would return again for a mid-week low key dinner. I have to admit though, I do worry about how they may or may not run their closed door kitchen. Just sayin.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Would not honour our Groupon!!

Tonight my brother and I bought a groupon for Thai Bistro. We attempted to buy the meal for 2 but were sold out so we purchased the meal for 4 ($20 for $40 worth of food and drinks). We made a reservation and rushed to get there as the women on the phone said they were booked solid and would be best if we came right away. As we arrived, to a mostly empty restaurant, we were seated and notified our server that we had a groupon. The first thing she asked was "is your groupon for 2 or 4 people?". We told her it was the one for 4 as they were sold out of the one for 2. She then told us that the owner would not accept our groupon as we were only 2 people. We asked to speak to the owner. He was very stern on not honouring our groupon as he said he wanted more people to come through his doors to potentially gain more new customers. Did he not realize he just alienated 2 potential customers who would never return and would never recommend his restaurant? After pleading with him to no prevail, we got up and left, embarrassed. There is no fine print on the groupon stating that you must have 4 people, it is simply a description stating dinner for 4. It is not even possible to order a meal each for 4 people to meet the $40 dollar groupon. My brother and I would have easily gone over the $40, which we also mentioned to the owner.
The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth and the owner came off as very greedy. He also stated he is losing money on these groupons. If this is truly the case, why are you selling them?
I don't know how good the food is but I would not care if it was the best Thai in the city, I would never return to this establishment and would not recommend it to anyone.
To the owner, you obviously do not have a good business sense if you are turning potential customers away! Thank you for the embarrassing experience and thank you for allowing my brother and I to give our hard earned money to another establishment down the street and not to you!!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Tried this place based on tripadvisor recommendations. The recommendations must have been based on the Chinatown location because the food at 17th Avenue location was borderline disgusting. I tasted like it came from frozen food packages. Whole cloves of semi crushed garlics, overcooked vegetables and undercooked noodles and the flavour was mediocre to bland.
I was looking for a decent alternative to Ruan Thai but this is not it.
I should note that this was takeout.

1  Thank Peter S