“Food could be better, so could the service”
Review of Vin Room West

Vin Room West
Reserve with OpenTable
Vin Room West is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #622 of 3,768 Restaurants in Calgary
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 85 St SW and 8A Ave SW
Description: Vin Room is Calgary's premier wine bar with over 100 wines by the glass. Our extensive wine list is complemented by our tapas program, made with local and regional ingredients, with a global twist.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have been to Vin Room twice this past month both on recommendations from the people booking. The first time was a small group and the second time was a large group of us. Both times I felt the food could be better for the price. We tried many dishes from the menu so I feel we've had a good sampling of what they have to offer. It is definitely nothing to write home about but not horrible so hence the 3 star rating. They have lost points for wishy washy service from the same server (both times) who is somewhat of an airhead and barely makes it back to the table. As this is a place that is specifically about the wine, you'd think they'd be on their game about getting you your drinks. Both times we waited on the server too long once sitting, too long to order drinks and too long to bring them.

Messed up our bill with the large group quite badly, couldn't keep track of who's who, who ordered what drinks and food and who gets what bill. Both times no one was there to get our coats as we left (my sister accidentally took the coat tab with her because of this). Overall not a terrible place but Fergus has better food and service so I'd go there instead. I really hope the management takes reviews seriously as the last time we were there, the place wasn't very busy (again, why the slow service with only several tables full in the place??).

I get sick of spending good money on blah food in Calgary. Yet time and again I read about some chef I've never heard of serving up locally raised pig in some trendy but boring spot that is way overpriced. How about some good damn food?

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Great atmosphere, excellent service, amazing food, and oh yeah the wine is not too shabby. The selection of wine is large, and that is an understatement. Thank goodness for our server who was very knowledgable and recommended a flight of wines for us to try. The sharing plates were a great idea, particularly the lamb kababs, yum!

Will definatetly be back.

1  Thank canadianlunatic
Reviewed December 6, 2012

After being a little intimidated by the vast wine menu, our server Brett was very helpful in picking out wine. He gave several suggestions with details about the wine, as well as food and cheese that would pair with the wine. After going through several wines that our server suggested we were not dissapointed! All in all the food was slightly overpriced for what we received, but the knowledge, and service from Brett made up for it.

2  Thank David C
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Sent back 3 meals one due to being burnt and 2 for being raw. The service was terrible and when I talked to the male manager on the way out about my meals he said I didn't charge you.

Really why would I pay for something I didn't wat and sent back. Maybe he should have visited the table after the first one went back to see if there was something he could do.

His response as we left was "my bad" Really!

Definately won't be back. In a city where there are a ton of great restaurants you would think they would actually care about there customers and their food quality!!!

1  Thank Lori M