“Japanese-Italian Fusion... And it Works!”
Review of Carino

Carino
Ranked #440 of 3,643 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Edmonton Trail and 7th Ave North
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Had dinner at Carino Bistro for the first time last night. We were a bit skeptical about this Japanese-Italian combo, but it was delicious. The Kobe beef burger was the best burger I've tasted in a long time, and the ahi tuna was seared perfectly. I'd go back just to have the prawn stuffed olives... they were Devine. Will definitely return!

1  Thank calgarycan

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Interesting twist with the japanese meets italian...tender meats, tasty sauces, nice wine selection. Had a delicious chocolate ganache dessert. Have had numerous lovely brunches at Carino, this evening was the first dinner and it didn't disappoint.

1  Thank lmh123ca
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a small bistro (I would guess seats no more than 30 people) directly on Edmonton Trail. There is ample parking on the side streets, including 7th Ave.
Before dinner I ordered a gin-and-tonic but changed my mind when I was informed that they only had Bombay Sapphire gin which I do not care for. Thereupon the owner-maitre d' immediately ran out the front door and purchased a bottle of my favourite gin at a nearby store! This exemplifies the attentive service our party received.
I had the calamari appetizer -- there is only so much you can do with fried calamari, but the spicy garlic sauce was a welcome change from the tartar sauce that usually accompanies this dish.
My main dish -- seafood ravioli with mentaiko sauce was delicious, no make that ingenious -- Italian texture with Japanese flavour.
The other members of our party similarly loved their dishes, especially the eater of the humourously-named "Duck! Duck!! Duck!!!" could not stop raving after every bite.
With 6 drinks, 2 bottles of wine, 4 appetizers and one dessert the bill for four came to $370.

We had a great meal and we will return, not least because of the extraordinarily good and cheerful service.

1  Thank niemand
Reviewed June 12, 2013

In the up-and-coming area of Bridgeland, this is not the most scenic location. I had heard good things, but was not that impressed when I went there. The service was fine, but the food was only mediocre. The calamari was super salty, the ox tongue came out almost cold, and there was nothing really special about the ahi tuna.

1  Thank Andrea1014
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We headed out with a group of friends Friday night to try Carino. I have not been there since it was AKA wine bar (which I loved) and so was really hoping it would do the space justice.

Walking in - I was glad they kept the same vibe for the restaurant - it is such an intimate space.

Unfortunately the waitress wasn't very attentive nor was the sommelier which is disappointing when you are in a restaurant which doesn't seat much more than 30 people. The beer list contained numerous Japanese options but when our server was giving us the beer list and could tell we had no idea what they were was unable to give us any further details on the beer. The sommelier delivered our first bottle of wine with a flourish but then ignored our table after that.

The food was okay. We started with a charcuterie plate (priced at $13) that included maybe 12 pieces of quarter sized chorizo shaved so thin they were transparent and two little cheese triangles - barely enough for 3 bites for each of the 6 of us. As they are trying to prepare a fusion of Janpanese and Italian, they did an average job preparing the menu. My husband and I shared the Rigatoni with Beef Short Rib and Pork Meatloaf. The rigatoni didn't appear to be fresh pasta (a base standard if you are trying to compete with all the delicious Italian restaurants available to us in Calgary) and although the short rib was delicious and cooked to perfection - there was hardly any meat. The pork meatloaf came with a risotto. The meatloaf had the japanese flavors you would expect but was far too salty. So much so, I couldn't finish the meatloaf. The risotto, however, was delicious!

We ordered two desserts but only received one but were given an extra coffee from what we ordered. Not a big deal if you are in a large busy restaurant but surprising when you are in a small venue entering the orders directly in a ipad or iPhone.

Our meal came to $140 per couple - we each had a cockatil or aperitif, shared 2 bottles of wine for the 6 of us, had an entre and one dessert.

All in all - we had a great night out with great friends, were glad we tried the restaurant but will not choose to go back.

1  Thank JulesFTravels