“Best authentic Mexican in Calgary”
Review of Anejo Restaurant

Anejo Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Anejo Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #137 of 3,740 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: ▬▬Concepto▬▬ Pasión. Apasionamiento. Passion. Four amigos had a vision of bringing a high-quality & authentic Mexican experience back to Calgary – the journey began with a research trip to Guadalajara. They gathered stories & vibrant décor pieces, soaked up the sunshine & culture, sampled a lot of tequila, and finally figured out what the squiggle above the “n” was called. The result? Añejo ► A stunning multi-level sky-lit room, inspired & interactive Mexican cuisine, Canada's largest tequila selection, and Calgary’s best margarita. ▬▬Platas▬▬ Fresh, locally grown ingredients, cooked to perfection in Mexican style with a flair for contemporary flavours. Vibrant, boisterous, and bold. The province of Jalisco is the inspiration behind our Fresh Ceviche, handcrafted Margaritas, Para la Mesa Guacamole, and Molcajete Bowls; both prepared in traditional lava-rock mortar. Open daily at 11AM - we offer lunch until 3PM daily, featuring the "Speedy Gonzales" lunch combo. Our famous #halfyhour is 3PM - 5PM daily - all tacos & tequila are half price and $6 margs and beers! ▬▬Tequila▬▬ The finest, & possibly most misunderstood spirit in the world. All of our carefully selected tequilas are made with 100% Blue Weber agave.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was impressed with the restaurant after just dining here with my family this evening.
My son loves Mexican food so on his birthday each year he gets to chose where to eat.
I was impressed with the food especially the mole chicken, guacamole, and tacos. The beef tacos were my favourite.
The only disappointment was the shrimp starter, the serving size was very small for the price.
Marguerites were tasty albeit small as well.
Will return.

2  Thank yycfa

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Loved the decor and we were warmly welcomed in for lunch on a Sat. They really did a great job with the detail of that. The place was inviting, details like the handle from the bathroom that was handsfree was appreciated. But, as others have mentioned some of the seating was not as comfortable such as the round flat stools, would rather have a chair.
They were having a special tasting menu that day. We went with that. The guacamole was exceptional, I tried to get every tiny bit out of the bowl. The tacos and the salsa were also tasty, but very small. We tried the fish and the pork, but 2 tiny tacos was not quite enough, would call them tapas.
We finished up with very flavorful gelato. My husband was a bit annoyed to be charged $1 for water. It was high priced for mexican/southwestern food. But... It was so tasty, I would go back. Maybe not as often as I would if the prices were more reasonable. $25 for 3 little tacos, Would hope that maybe they are bigger on the regualr menu as opposed to the tasting ones we had.

1  Thank smileyeye
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Finally authentic Mexican in Calgary. Unbelievable Guacamole. Fantastic Tequila selection. Chicken Mole and Molcajete was awesome. We found the service to be exceptional. Very very pleased with our experience at Anejo. Loves the decor as well. Open and inviting.

2  Thank hulstonfive
Reviewed February 20, 2013

If you have no back problems, you will when you leave there.
The seating on a block of wood was extremely uncomfortable, my butt
went numb after 15 mins.
Service was very slow, food was not great.
But if you love Tequila and don't mind sitting at the bar on a block of wood, then you should try it.

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

It's unfortunate that I have a negative review even though I didn't eat here. As my friend and I walked in, the front staff ladies completely ignored us, maybe it was discrimination because we are not very tall and were not dressed up but the two ladies behind us who were tall and pretty got served before us and they didn't have any reservations. When the front staff finally acknowledged our presence she said its a 45 minute wait because I don't have any reservations. I felt discriminated and disgusted with their service so we left and too bad we never will return to this place. So I Do NOT recommend this place to anyone.

2  Thank NikCalgary