“Excellent Tacos, Great Drinks”
Review of Anejo Restaurant

Anejo Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Anejo Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #134 of 3,709 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: ▬▬Concepto▬▬ Pasión. Apasionamiento. Passion. Four amigos had a vision of bringing a high-quality & authentic Mexican experience back to Calgary – the journey began with a research trip to Guadalajara. They gathered stories & vibrant décor pieces, soaked up the sunshine & culture, sampled a lot of tequila, and finally figured out what the squiggle above the “n” was called. The result? Añejo ► A stunning multi-level sky-lit room, inspired & interactive Mexican cuisine, Canada's largest tequila selection, and Calgary’s best margarita. ▬▬Platas▬▬ Fresh, locally grown ingredients, cooked to perfection in Mexican style with a flair for contemporary flavours. Vibrant, boisterous, and bold. The province of Jalisco is the inspiration behind our Fresh Ceviche, handcrafted Margaritas, Para la Mesa Guacamole, and Molcajete Bowls; both prepared in traditional lava-rock mortar. Open daily at 11AM - we offer lunch until 3PM daily, featuring the "Speedy Gonzales" lunch combo. Our famous #halfyhour is 3PM - 5PM daily - all tacos & tequila are half price and $6 margs and beers! ▬▬Tequila▬▬ The finest, & possibly most misunderstood spirit in the world. All of our carefully selected tequilas are made with 100% Blue Weber agave.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Definitely worth the trip for the drinks and tacos. The food seems to be very authentic Mexican food and the selection of Tequila is unbelievable. The décor and the atmosphere makes this an outstanding addition to the restaurants on 4th St.

1  Thank JeffMCalgary

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stopped by this restaurant on Friday night. The hostess said it was a 45 minute wait, which is pretty standard for a Friday in Calgary and they don't take reservations, so we waited. After an hour, we asked how many groups were ahead of us so they checked their ipad app and said "two". So we kept waiting. Every time we asked again how many people were ahead of us, they said "two" yet we saw them seat 4-5 groups in that time who got there after us. They let their friends, the manager's friends, and people who complained louder in before us. Only when you lose it on them do they seat you. We waited 1 hour and 50 minutes total. The best part was when the hostess came into the vestibule to give everyone waiting margueritas, ran out of drinks right before she got to us, said she'd be right back with more, and never came back. The male server we had was excellent but the food was just ok. Huge disappointment and will never return to be treated like second class citizens again.

2  Thank tarpayarr
Reviewed January 18, 2013

John Gilchrist listed this restaurant in his top 20 new restaurants of 2012. We love Mexican food, so decided to give it a try. The restaurant was very busy - and unfortunately we didn't call ahead for reservations. They were able to accommodate us in the lounge - but my advice would be to call ahead. Most of the chairs in the lounge are very uncomfortable - so try to get a table in the restaurant. The tables were high with bar chairs, so if you have a disability, ask if they have a table that can accommodate you. The decor was lovely - not a typical Mexican feel, but rather dark, so it was difficult to read the menu or see what we were eating.

The food was very nice - not your typical Tex Mex food. We started with chips and salsa. The salsa was a nice, fresh salsa that was excellent and the chips were very good, however the serving size was small. I had the red snapper. It was nicely done, served with a lime rice (nice touch) and cactus. My dinner was good, but my husband tried the tacos and they were outstanding. These were not typical tacos - they have gourmet fillings and all of them are delicious. My mouth waters just thinking about them, and I will definitely return. The tacos are small and you can order them by the taco. Order several and if you find you are still hungry, order some more. The service is very quick, so you won't need to wait long. We had a table of four, and we re-ordered several times. The fourth member of our group ordered the tortilla soup which she enjoyed, but the tacos were better. All of our food was fresh, the service is very good but the portions aren't large and a bit pricey.

2  Thank LifesABeach86
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Despite a couple of early negative reivews here, my wife and I had a very good experience at Anejo. We had just taken a trip to P. Vallarta in December so with fresh memories of excellent Mexican cuisine in our minds, we decided to give them a try on a Saturday night. The ambiance and decor was great, definitely better than your typical "Tex Mex" joints with cheesy decorations. The 2 of us had the tortilla soup, molotes, and molcajete with seafood, and that was plenty of food. Since Anejo is touted as a tequila bar, I did have one of their signature tequila cocktails, and quite enjoyed it although I'm not a regular tequila drinker by any means.

I think the flavour profiles were pretty similar to what we had in Mexico, so the chefs have done a pretty good job of "keeping it real" without altering it too much to cater to the Canadian palate. I would recommend this place for those who want to expand their Mexican culinary experiences and venture away from tacos and enchiladas.

2  Thank Hungry-Cyclist
Reviewed December 8, 2012

On a recent Monday evening a friend and I had supper at this relatively new restaurant on 4th St
We started off with a couple of glasses of red wine, followed by a starter of the table side making of the salsa served with chips. The salsa was spicy and very tasty.
My friend ordered the fish with cactus served in a huge bowl., she enjoyed her meal very much. I ordered the red snapper, which arrived on a very hot plate, nice touch. But my fish was very bland, not at all what I had been expecting. Overall the service was excellent and the waiter attentive. We enjoyed the coffee served in the carafe with a timer telling our server exactly when the coffee should be ready to serve.
Would I hurry back, unfortunately no, the experience was OK but it was just that OK

4  Thank chanel16calgary