“Awesome service, mediocre mains”
Review of 80th & Ivy - CLOSED

80th & Ivy
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 17th Ave and 12th Street SE
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Last night was our first time at 80th & Ivy, and overall, it was pretty good. Our server, Aishah was amazing! Super friendly, and down to earth, and explained things on the menu to us really well. She was great at offering suggestions from the menu as well.

We had the gorgonzola mushroom dip, to start, and my boyfriend has the east coast oysters. The dip was perfect, probably one of the best I've ever had. My boyfriend said the east coast oysters were just as good! For dessert we had the sticky toffee pudding, make sure to save room for it, its so worth it!

The only downside about our meal were our main courses. I had the Arctic Char, it was over peppered, and the sides weren't overly appetizing. My boyfriend had the lamb, the plate looked really boring, he said the lamb and risotto were great, but not really wowed by anything.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went there for our Valentines dinner and I have no serious complaints. The service was excellent and our waitress Aisha was very friendly and helpful in every way. The appetizers, mushroom dip and oysters were excellent. However the main entrees I felt were just a little basic and bland. We had the lamb and arctic char. Perhaps it was just our choice. The quality was great but I guess it just felt like an ordinary dinner rather than a special night out. The dessert, sticky toffee pudding, was great and definitely recommend it as our waitress did. Overall if you want a decent dinner and a nice ambiance this is a good place, just dont expect your mind to be blown.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Had my birthday dinner here with hubby. The place was hopping for a summer night - and thank goodness we reserved otherwise, we'll be standing in line forever! Food was great - loved the raclette cheese appies and the food we had was awesome! One negative though - was that it was too loud on the bar area - I swear, it's like, being in the middle of a trading floor with the noise level at the area.

1  Thank flowerdrumsong
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is the 2nd Experience at 80th and Ivy. The first was for a 50th Birthday party of a friend, and the second was for our company Christmas dinner. Between the two occasions I tried most of the food.

The group experience here was exceptional. At both events the service was excellent and the food will have us going back for a 3rd time. Dinner for the Christmas party was : Apps were : Caesar Salad, Champagne Shrimp, Steak Tender Bites, Main Course was : Bacon wrapped Tenderloin, Spaghetti Squash, Dessert : Creme Brûlée with Cookie and Plum Compote. All of the food was outstanding, served hot, respectable portions, and appropriately spiced. The steak was to die for, perfectly done. The steak bites and champagne shrimp were quite tasty, and the dessert topped everything off nicely. Each course for this event was paired with wine. I was impressed enough with the wine selections that I took a picture of the label of each, certain to be searching for them in local wine boutiques.

I've heard a mixed bag of comments relating to service, and some related to food. I will continue to go to this restaurant as long as they continue to deliver to the bar that was set at the previous two trips - Fantastic Food, Great Service !!

1  Thank Lauder_Calgary
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I'm not an avid beef-eater, but wow - that beef was excellent! The chicken and mushrooms were great too. I will go back to try other things on the menu. Atmosphere was great... service was very good, and all the staff were genuinely friendly.

1  Thank Live_Life_Big