“Great Ambiance, Great Service, Great Food, Expensive”

Khao San Thai Kitchen
Ranked #132 of 3,573 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Calgary, Canada
“Great Ambiance, Great Service, Great Food, Expensive”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I spend two months a year in Thailand and am married to a Thai so I thought besides just reviewing our travels I would tried to help folks find great Thai food in Calgary.

This is my favourite Thai restaurant in Calgary if it wasn't so pricey we would dine there more often but somehow getting a great meal in a little family run restaurant for under $2 in Thailand jades my price point somewhat on Thai food. It is my wife's second choice my next review will be her fave. She did love the food here she's just more family restaurant style I'm the fine dining fan.

The ambiance is great the decor suits, the service is fantastic and the food is awesome, delicious and well presented. This is Thai fine dining which a lot of places aspire to but fall very short of, however it does come with the price tag to match. I think great food and experience is worth the extra money but it wont be our go to at these prices its a special night out place.

Special Note: Only shortcoming on food when my wife asked them for Thai level heat/spiciness it came up a little short (I could still eat it!)

• Visited August 2013

Sanford, Florida
“Nice ambiance and a very tasty meal”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This place was recommended by the hostess of a local B&B. I arrived without reservation to a packed house on a Friday night. They quickly asked me if I cared to sit outside, and since 17th Ave was bustling and the evening was lovely, I quickly accepted the suggestion. Service was great. A nice young lady came to see me immediately, and was very attentive throughout my stay there. I had the Tom Yum Soup with Seafood and the Spring Rolls, which were uniquely presented in individual shot glasses. Friends of mine went a few nights later and loved the place. I would definitely go again!

• Visited June 2014
Calgary, Canada
“OUTSTANDING SERVICE AND FOOD”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

WOW we have been looking for another Thai place that served good food when our first choice is unavailable. This has now become our FIRST choice restaurant. Very close to home and delightful decor. Very busy so don't forget to make reservations. We started out with the Beef Satay 4 pieces of grilled coconut marinated beef $8.00 and Spring Rolls 4 pieces deep-fried, $8.00. The rolls ere served in individual shot glasses...very unique display.

Had Crying Tiger- grilled marinated Rib Eye 8oz, Thai northeastern style dipping sauce,$22.00. The steak was served rare, so if you like it cooked more, best advise the server. I did not like the sauce.
For those that do not like things spicy this dish is for you. Chicken Cashew Nuts . $16.00 and for something with a little kick try the Pineapple Red Curry with Chicken $16.00 Rice is extra $2.75. Both the back and front staff are friends, so the service was quick and efficient. They also do take-out.

• Visited May 2014
Edmonton, Canada
“A Pretty Good Thai Restaurant”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had supper last Saturday at Khao San with family members. The service at this restaurant was exceptional. The food was pretty good. We ordered two curry dishes with beef and chicken as well as two pad thai. I found the meat in the curry dishes a bit skimpy, left with mostly curry sauce. Overall, Khao San is an alright Thai place on 17th Avenue in Calgary.

• Visited April 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Great service - pretty yummy”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This was a cozy and classy restaurant with great servers who were very kind. The food was yummy but wasn't the BEST thai food I've ever had. Definitely a nice option though close to where we live! Good date place.

• Visited January 2014