“Lost reservation, dirty dishes, slow service and mediocre food”
Review of Black Betty - CLOSED

Black Betty
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th Ave 1st Street
Transit: C-Train and most major bus routes within one block.
Description: It just opened this week.
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I think the title about sums things up.

I had tasted a sample of a Black Betty burger at a wine event some time ago and had been intending to go here for some time. Last night was finally the night.

I made a reservation about 3-4 hours before going, drove downtown, found parking, walked through the rain ...and they didn't have my reservation. The hostess seemed pretty confused about what to do about it. She invited me to sit at their bar and wait for a table to open up. Which leads to issue # 2 -- the bar stools are designed for giants. Very uncomfortable. Thankfully, they were able to move us downstairs to an actual table...where we were the only customers. Sort of weird but at least we had a table.

Onto issue # 3...service. Our server was friendly but really took her time. We asked for a minute with the drink menu, she gave us ten. We ordered our food, we waited 30 minutes to receive it. We asked for the bill, put out our credit cards and waited another 10 or so minutes for her to come back. We were also never offered water or anything like that...had to ask for some with our dessert. Bottom line...service is not their strong point.

Issue # 4...the food. We split a burger and a flatbread. The burger was boring. It was luke warm, lacked seasoning, and was dry, dry, dry. The bun wasn't old...but definitely not fresh. The flatbread was okay. Nothing bad about it but nothing to write home about either. Onto dessert - we decided to share a dessert. A $10 piece of cake ...which was disappointing. Again...nothing wrong with it exactly but very lackluster and VERY TINY! See picture (and no ...that is not a giant strawberry on top). I'm all for small dessert portions but for $10 you expect a dessert worthy of two forks. This was not.

Issue # 5 - dirty dishes - we asked for water with our dessert and I've never received a water glass so dirty. Finger prints on it and what appeared to be orange pulp stuck to the inside. Yuck.

Perhaps it was just a bad night for them...but I suspect I'll never know.

1  Thank kallabel

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I came here for lunch with 3 friends. I enjoyed the avocado tempura, the Betty burger with a side of onion rings. The sweet potato fries were good too. Service was fine. My friend who had the salmon sandwich liked his food but the ones who had the chicken sandwich and the Cobb salad did not like their food. Would go back for the burger.

1  Thank RoyaltyC
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My friend and I went there for YYC Burger week and we were a little underwhelmed.
The service was friendly enough, but kind of slow.
The Pepsi tasted terrible - it was fountain pop and something wasn't right. When we told our waitress that it was flat, they just brought us another glass of the same pop.
The burger was HUGE and tasty. Patty was a little dry though - eep! The side caesar was meh. Pickle was good :)
We ordered the strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert and it wasn't very good.
So, we wish we had tried another burger place! It was just average, at best.
Note - on Saturday nights they set up a DJ at 10:00 PM and rearrange the tables in a really noisy manner. And don't explain it to patrons trying to enjoy their meals. Glad we were already done our meal!

1  Thank jabulani26
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Really enjoyed the food here in the search of YYC's best burger of 2013. Sadly the service wasn't that good. The waitress was distracted, missing when our food was ready (another server brought it over). Also, asked if they had a specific drink, next thing I knew it was on the table...

1  Thank mvdw84
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We went there for lunch, l ordered the lamb burger it came in a cheap bun, the lamb meat l thought had been over processed and was dense and heavy, my husbands meat burger was good, had a glass of white Canadian wine which was very good, l will go back and try it again choosing something else just not the lamb, value bit expensive for what it was.

1  Thank Jennifer M