“Decline after renovations”

Sushi Hanami
Ranked #2,115 of 3,725 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Made a reservation for last Saturday and was seated behind a bamboo curtain and after waiting 15 minutes, had to ask a young lady for service of which a young man (both of these appeared to be in their 18-21 year range) came to take our order. We ordered sushi, dynamite rolls, bento box and a teriyaki dish to share between us. He brought us chicken instead of the beef teriyaki we ordered and it was so spicy hot, jalapenos galore, I couldn't eat it but they didn't come back to ask how our food was, and we were starving, so dug in. The bento box I ordered had deep fried chicken which dry and over fried. Had to ask for the dipping sauce for the cold shrimp tempura. Wasabi was had no taste, so lacking in flavor. The only thing I did enjoy was the Dynamite Rolls. Water refills for my guest took over an 45 minutes to be topped up the first time. The young student servers know nothing about service, let alone in a timely manner and the quality of food has definitely declined, not sure if it's changed hands, but won't be back. again soon. Too bad, it was one of my favorites before and ordered take out often-our bill was over $65..

Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

I've eaten here a bunch of times and never had a problem with freshness like the other reviewer. Compared to what you pay at some other sushi restaurants I find the pricing to be very reasonable. I come here when I want something close to home and don't want to pay an arm and a leg. It does kind of look like an old Dairy Queen inside but I noticed they renovated last time I went in.

1  Thank cdntravellerin09
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and i wnd to Hanami last night with the hopes that we would find a new sushi restaurant close to our new house - we need to keep looking. We ordered about $60 worth of sushi, and other than the wasabi, we considered sending most of it back to the kitchen.

The fish was not cold (room temperature sushi scares me), the seaweed tasted stale, and the service was lacking. Maybe we just ordered the wrong items as the restaurant was quite busy - and that may be why the service was so slow.

However, upon paying for our bill and leaving the restaurant my wife turned to me and said "never again - that was a one time dining experience" . I could not have said it better

2  Thank chrisj j