“Very good smoked meat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Fergus & Bix - Marda Loop
Ranked #824 of 3,490 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian, International, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Calgary
“Very good smoked meat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stopped by here for lunch today as we would have had to wait forty five minutes to get into the Loop for breakfast. After looking over the menu I spotted Montreal Smoked Meat, humm I'm glad I tried it. A fair amount of meat on Marble Rye, fires and salad for $14.00. My wife had a chicken sandwich that she said was good as well also the same price. Not bad for Calgary.

Visited August 2014

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Warm, friendly service & fabulous food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

When you go, ask for Abby's section because she gave us exceptional service! The neighbourhood feel is alive and well at Fergus & Bix as it seems like this place is a favourite with regulars. The beet salad with goat cheese is superb and the steak was cooked to perfection. The deck is great on nice days - inside feels cozy and welcoming. A great pick for lunch, after work, or dinner.

• Visited July 2014
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Great Beer Selection. Not so Good Food!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

I am on my annual summer visit to Canada. Sorry I decided to stop at Fergus and Bix for lunch.
The restaurant is clean and attractive. The waitress was friendly and knowledgable about the beers. I enjoyed the three sampler of beer.
I decided to have the pazzo pizza for lunch. Poor choice. I could not even finish one piece. It was tasteless. The crust was bland. Very disappointing for twenty dollars.
The waitress asked how the food was and I told her I didn't like it and why. She said she would talk to the Manager. She may have spoken to the Manager but she never followed up with us. It was on our bill when it was time to pay.
Poor customer service.
With all the choices of restaurants in Calgary while on vacation sorry I choose Fergus and Bix!

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank petitesyrahsyrah
Calgary, AB
“Limited menu, abyssmal service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

For the second time in a year I find myself writing a restaurant review for somewhere that I haven’t succeeded in eating at.

The first time I went to Fergus and Bix was about 6 months ago. It was noon on a Saturday, and I was in the mood for lunch and a beer. Upon arriving I found that they don’t do lunch – only brunch. I had a coffee and studied the menu, and after coming to the conclusion that I really didn’t want brunch, I paid for my coffee and left. My comment to the server at that time was “this brunch menu is uninspired and uninspiring”.

Yesterday, with that knowledge in hand, I returned for brunch. Upon arrival one of the servers breezed past and said “Sit anywhere”, not even stopping to greet me. I sat. A couple of minutes later she arrived to give me menus and see if I wanted a drink. I ordered coffee, and as I was continuing with “and a water please” she cut me off and talked over top of me to ask if I wanted cream and sugar. I said yes, and before I could continue with my request, she turned and left.

Several minutes later another server arrived with coffee, and told me that both debit and credit was unavailable, and it would be cash only. Fortunately I had cash and agreed to stay. It would have been nice if the first one had told me that before I’d ordered coffee. Many more minutes pass, and that second server, who now appeared to be the one looking after me, reappears to ask if I want more coffee. I say no, but I did ask for water and didn’t get it. Again, as I was continuing to say “and I’m ready to order when you are” she cut me off, talked over top of me, and said “So you want a water then?”, turned, and left. When she dropped the water off a few minutes later she was at cruising speed, and didn’t stop or slow down long enough for me to ask her to take my order. Honestly, by this time, I was more curious to see whether she would ever make the first move and ask if I wanted anything.

At least 10 more minutes passed. By this time, I’d been there for just under 30 minutes, and had been unsuccessful in ordering anything, even though I’d made an attempt, only to be talked over. I had to wave and yell at my server, who wasn’t coming within 10 feet of me, to get the bill. When she brought it, my comment was “The reason I asked for a bill even though I didn’t order anything is that I’ve been here for half an hour, and it’s become obvious that you’re not going to serve me, and I have better things to do with my life.”. Her excuse was that she thought I was waiting for someone. I asked why she’d think that, and the response was that I had two menus, thus must be. I pointed out that the one who’d come and given them to me had also made a bad assumption, not bothering to ask whether I was dining alone, and that at no point had I ever said to anyone that I was meeting someone.

During this ending conversation, while I watched her count every last nickel of my change (she wasn’t getting any tip after this), I asked more than once for her to send a manager over. It became even more obvious than before that listening skills were something completely foreign to this young lady (or perhaps she was just completely ignoring me, knowing full well what I was going to say to that manager). At any rate, it became evident that she had no intent on sending over a manager. At that point I left.

When I got home, I called the restaurant, only to find that the manager was not available to talk, but a promise was made to call me back. As of this point, I still haven’t received a call. Fortunately, I got her email address, and she’ll be getting a copy of this posting. I sure hope that she can figure out, from what is likely to be the only sale with a grand total of $2.65, who I was, and who my completely incompetent server was, and take appropriate action.

So, if you’re content with brunch instead of lunch on a Saturday afternoon, OK with a very limited menu that doesn’t even include basics like eggs and bacon or omelets, and prepared to endure abysmal service, then I highly recommend Fergus and Bix. If, on the other hand, you want an inspiring menu with some degree of variety, and aren’t willing to put up with terrible service, I’d recommend you stay far, far away from this place.

• Visited April 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Jacked up the prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Up until a year ago I used to tell everyone that Fergus & Bix was the best restaurant in the city for the money. However, over the last year F & B have jacked up close to 50% which is quite disappointing. Some people may or may not have notice, but I sure have, and when I brought this up with one of the waitresses she said yes, unfortunately it's true.

Now with that said, can prices stay the same....of course not but near 50%?!

Since my last visit I have stopped going and decided to attend other venues around the area instead.

I have to say that now, Fergus & Bix is NOT the best restaurant in the city for the money.

• Visited March 2014