The Pointe Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Calgary
See available hotels
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had read so many bad reviews of this place that I never would have chosen to stay here... but I had a last-minute medical appointment in Calgary and had to get a room- fast. I knew it wasn't a good sign that the Pointe Inn was the only hotel in Calgary that still had rooms available....... now I know why.

The front desk agent was clearly frazzled and not in good humour, but I would be the same way if I had to work in such a place! No hint of a smile, just a hard-key placed in my general vicinity, and a vague point in the direction of the elevator (I am walking with a cane). It would have been nice if she'd mentioned that the elevator was on the other end of the building and that I was better off taking the stairs, at the top of which was my room.

My room was on the top (3rd) floor. in the corner with two outside walls. The only heat provided was from the air-conditioning unit under the window, which had a "heat" setting. After sitting in my winter coat, hat, boots and mitts for three hours, I realized that there was no real heat coming from the unit. I have worked in hotels for years and knew that such units contain an air filter that needs to be kept clean. I pulled the filter out and it was FILTHY. No wonder the unit didn't work. I cleaned it in the shower and replaced it. Whoever stayed in there last must have frozen to death. There was no heat at all in the bathroom.

There were no pictures on the walls, no coffee maker, and the room stunk of old food. I was afraid to use the bedding so I went down to may car and fetched my sleeping bag to sleep in. Also, if you do have the misfortune of staying here, bring an extension cord and a power bar if you want to plug in your laptop, as I could locate only one place to plug in, and it was behind the nightstand. Also, no clock radio, so you'll have to use your cell phone. Toilet doesn't flush properly and runs for fifteen minutes. No waste basket in the bathroom.

The public areas are dirty, dingy and stinky, and some major money needs to be sunk into it if it has any hope of becoming a decent place to stay. If this is the last place available in Calgary next time I have to go there, I will sleep in my car or maybe go to Cochrane instead.

Room Tip: don't pick 315. don't know if any of the others are any better, but 315 has two outside walls and is FREEZING.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank wintergirl66
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The room was extremly cold and not very clean. There was the bare minimum for towels, if you can even call them that, as well as soap (one bar). We tried using the bathroom fan to help circulate the air, but had to turn it off because it sounded as if it might catch on fire. You definately get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank dburn66
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Upon checking in we were told to wait because they were too busy to help us. 40 minutes later we're told "I guess I'll have to help you now." As she was checking us in she got mad because we didn't have the exact credit card used to book, and threatened to cancel our booking and refuse us a room. Only after getting extremely upset with her did she allow us to put a $200 cash deposit down (which she demanded expecting us to refuse) and when we handed cash over without disagreement plus the cost of the room she tells us the room has already been paid for on the credit card and it's on the account. Then refuses to explain why she needs a deposit if it's already paid for and the room already has a credit card attached for incidentals other than to say "It's THIS hotel's policy and you're already pushing your luck with a cash deposit."

Checking out was a much better experience, but their "continental breakfast" was stale cereal with no milk.

The room was freezing the whole time we were there unless the heater was running full blast and we couldn't hear the TV. The cable had no channel guide and most of the channels had no sound. When we phoned the front looking for a channel list we were told "try changing the channel and see what's on". The microwave wasn't plugged in and didn't reach any plug in. The soap provided smelled like urine and was left untouched (we used our own shampoo to wash our hands).

I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Casssandra H
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Very nasty hotel, lots of druggies and crackheads in this place!
Every thing was dirty and sticky. Walls are paper thin. Basically no real beds - just mattresses on a disgusting fecal mattered stained carpet floor.
I had to stay here for one night as everything else in the area was booked solid so I had no other choice.
If i was to do it all over again, I would of just rented a car and slept inside of it.
I probably got one hour of sleep that night.

Room Tip: You are better off sleeping under a bridge!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank Roman K
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked this hotel in July, so we would have a place to stay the night before catching a flight out of Calgary, close to the airport. WHAT A MISREPRESENTATION on the site we booked through! Some of the reviews were pretty negative, others not so much. We erred, on the "not so much " side, and now I am writing to say it was NOT even a good place to stay, and we'll never do that again! The area the hotel is in looked quite run down. There was a large sign on the outside of the hotel, stating it was under new management and being remodeled. Inside the small lobby we asked the desk clerk how long renovations had been going on and she stated, "Two years". The carpets in the hallways are dirty and stained, adding to the somewhat unpleasant odor. The room was small, but clean. The furnishings looked newer but cheap and the bathroom was functional and clean as well, but only one bar of soap was part of the amenities. The two double beds were uncomfortable. Honestly, we weren't sure if the rental car would still have it's tires on the next morning! The airport was definitely more than 3 miles away as advertised, more like 10 miles. There is a Thai Restaurant on the premises and the smell was everywhere, long into the evening. If it wasn't for the fact that we had not cancelled 24 hrs ahead of time, and our card would be charged regardless if we went to another hotel, we decided to tough this one out.

Room Tip: Don't bother with this hotel. It was cheaper, but even at their price, it was a poor value!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple