“Two weeks stay and counting”
Review of The Pointe Inn

The Pointe Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calgary
The Pointe Inn
Ranked #102 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary
“Two weeks stay and counting”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Checked in January 1, 2012 for a month. I had already stayed at others in Dec. and needed a place for a month. Before booking I looked at various rooms at the Pointe. I am picky, used to a house or apartments. I am more than satisfied with the room I have, and the staff and ownership have been very helpful = helped me change to a room with what I needed. There is new ownership from over a year ago and they keep upgrading various. I found that they keep the rooms spotless, towels and linen changed daily. Beds are very comfortable. Little or no noise from other rooms or outside. A new Thailand restaurant opened up January 2, 2012. Continental breakfast each morning (free). They have security cameras all over that are monitored, including the parking lots - important for me that my vehicle is watched. Bus stop right out front that takes you to and from Calgary's C-train. I give it a two thumbs up.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Garry M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We checked into the hotel at 11:00pm to get a few hours sleep before continuing on to BC. We checked out of the hotel at 11:30pm the same night. The room was disgusting. It looked as though a war had gone on inside as there were multiple holes that had been pathetically patched up. The walls were covered in scuff marks and scratches. The matress had holes in it and the comforter was stained. This hotel wasn't even decent enough to lay in the bed. We were also terrified to leave our vehicle parked in the lot. Worst of all we went to front desk to check out and get a refund and the clerk was rude and would not refund our stay! This is a pathetic excuse for a hotel. I would not even let my animal stay in a room like that.

I feel sorry for the next person who has to stay in that place.

We travel all over for work and stay in hotels for 3 weeks a month and never have I seen a place this disgusting. Not even in the small towns that don't even exist on maps.

I hope this place goes out of business quick. They don't deserve to advertise as a hotel.

• Stayed October 2011
7 Thank ABtravel90
Reviewed September 15, 2010

My family and I were relocating from Manitoba to British Columbia. On the way through Calgary we were left with very few options on where to stay as we were traveling with a pet. We ended up at the Pointe Inn, big mistake. The room was dirty, all those touch points that should be cleaned after every guest. The light switches were gross, the phone and remote were sticky, behind the beds was so dirty who knows what other guests were staying with us. We slept on the beds, clothes on. Yuk, yuk, yuk...you get what you pay for, and the weeby, geebies as well

• Stayed August 2010
5 Thank Teatea0
Guelph, Ontario
Reviewed October 3, 2009

My company stuck me at the Pointe because it was literally the only room left in the entire city.

The walls were so thin I was afraid someone would put a knife through it and stab me as I slept. You could here everything going on outside your room. Non-smoking rooms wreek of smoke, the smoke detectors looked like they didn't work, and the elevator was so dicey stopping 6-8" offf the floor I was sure to take the stairs.

I stay at a hotel about 120 days per year and this is by far the worst one I have ever experienced.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank chewsta
okotoks
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Actually better than it used to be!

I have stayed here off and on for years. It seems to go in cycles. I noticed walking to my room, some of the guest room doors were open, and there were workmen inside. I could see new bathroom fixtures, new furniture and new mattresses as well as televisions.

I actually scored one of the newly renovated rooms, and was pleasantly surprised with the ammenities. It is not the Ritz Carlton, but the price reflects that. This was a good, clean, and comfortable room for under $125.00 per night.

Management will no longer allow customers with out credit cards to stay, which seems to have made a real improvement to the quality of fellow travellers.

The in house restaurant leaves a bit to be desired for decor, but the food was actually really really good. Some of the daily specials can not be beat for their prices, let alone the quality.I

• Liked — value for the price
  • Disliked — would like the room to be a little larger
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank attitudinal
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2007

I have had the unfortunate experiance of staying at the slum called "The Pointe". I have put in complaints to both BBB and the health board after encountering a bloody handprint and a pushy drug dealer during my 12 hours at this pit. As another reviewer wrote, "As we left early in the morning, at 4AM, a hotel resident was on the phone to reception to complain about somebody banging on their door incessantly. The staff, who had been efficient without being helpful, didn't seem perturbed or surprised by this incident." This was our experiance at 6 am when a loud knock on our hotel room door appeared to be a well dressed young man claiming to be hotel staff. Upon opening the door this man attempted to forcefully enter and demanded we purchase "crack" from him. When we finally forced him back into the hall, and called the desk, they were unconcerned! All this after being berated by staff about the validity of a prepaid credit card and fighting to convince them to remove a bloody lamp! unbeileivable! If you go to Calgary, avoid the Pointe, and if you cant be prepared to be ripped off, and abused. If you want any further info on the BBB claim, let me know and I would be happy to further describe this incident.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The bloody handprint on the lamp
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank binglejells
London
Reviewed June 22, 2006

I booked this hotel the day before the previous, damning review was published. I did look into getting an alternative hotel but the whole of Calgary seemed to be booked up by attendees of various conferences so I stuck with The Pointe Inn and kept my fingers crossed.

My primary goals in booking this hotel were to provide a bed for a few hours sleep and then allow easy access to the airport, by car, for an early flight. These goals were matched, if you can count 15 minutes drive as being "near to the airport", but I cannot say I enjoyed my stay. Being handed a TV remote when you check in is never a good sign to start with.

The room was basic and the beds were comfortable enough. The bathroom was fine too. The whole hotel just felt a bit shabby and uncared for however. We ate at the Dennys next door since we needed an early night and did not want to go far. The hotel does have a bar that serves food but we decided not to risk it.

The neighbourhood is unappealing and the hotel gets part of its revenue from being an overnight truck stop. Within one block, there are two gas stations, one sports bar and two liquor stores, one of those closed down. It's a rough area with a few questionable characters hanging around, some of whom appeared to be staying at the hotel. That said, I never felt threatened just uneasy.

We had not felt too comfortable leaving our rental car in the car park but nothing had happened to it. Before leaving the area, we filled up with gas and the attendant told us how his store had been robbed during the night. No money was stolen and no violence was involved but two different people had come in, abused him and taken food. More pathetic than worrying but a good indicator of the area I believe.

Overall, The Pointe Inn was a grim experience. Consider it only as a last resort.

• Stayed June 2006