“Clean, decent and good value, but in the middle of nowhere.”

Sandman Hotel Calgary Airport
Ranked #70 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for five nights 5-10 July 2009. It is very clean and comfortable, and offers good value for money. However, it is located in the middle of nowhere (adjacent to the airport, a 25 minute walk to the nearest train station or a taxi ride from downtown).

Though it is next to the airport, you could barely notice the arriving and departing flights.

Some of the great things about this property included: Extremely comfortable bed (reminded me of a Westin Heavenly Bed); a variety of free fresh fruit and coffee offered each morning in the lobby; the swimming pool was the clearest I have ever seen at a hotel; and, the bathroom was very modern. They also provide you with one free bottle of drinking water each day in your room. I had a jr. suite so there was also a small fridge, microwave, and some dishes and cutlery provided.

It is clear that the hotel has spent some money upgrading the bathrooms, beds and common areas. Bathrooms are all polished black granite. They have enormous soaker tubs and medium-to-high end amenities. There were also ample towels provided at all times (six at all times).

The daily wake up calls were dependable--though usually 20 minutes too early.

The airport shuttle is free to come TO the hotel, and costs $3 to return back to the airport.

There is a Moxie's Classic Grill (restaurant) on-site, which also offers breakfast and room service.

I had a room right next to the elevator--avoid this if possible. The elevator area is not carpeted. There are tiles there, and I could hear guests arriving, coming and going at all hours as the wheels of their suit cases would slide along the tiles outside my door. The rest of the hallways are carpeted, so ask for a room away from the immediate vacinity of the elevators if you are a light sleeper.

You also cannot access the guest floors without a key--therefore if you order a pizza, or have guests over, you'll need to go down to the lobby to meet them.

They offered both wired and wireless internet access which was complimentary. There were multiple problems with the wired service--however, the wireless worked perfectly and was ULTRA-FAST at all times.

I would stay at this hotel again if need be, but would most likely stay downtown next time, if a similar rate could be found at a downtown property.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank VwCollier
There are newer reviews for Sandman Hotel Calgary Airport

Reviewed July 7, 2009

We stayed at this hotel because it is close to the airport.
The hotel and rooms have a very gloomy atmosphere. it seemed to be clean and comfortable enough and the staff were helpful and polite.
It's OK for one night, but I wouldn't stay here for longer

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amitie
Reviewed July 4, 2009

We chose this hotel because of its location and were not disappointed. we drove down from Banff and arrived at approx. 9:00am. We did not expect to get into our room at this early hour but enquired to see if we could leave our luggage and check in later. The gentleman on the desk was most obliging and told us our room was ready and we could in fact move in straight away, something we did not expect. The hotel runs a shuttle bus between the hotel and airport which is very convenient. The only downside was "happy jack" the bus driver. Not rude, but not friendly, vastly different attitude to the other staff. Then again it takes all types to make a world.
There is a good restaurant, "Moxies" attached to the premises, we found the meals and service to be good. All in all, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BrisbaneWayfarer
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed July 1, 2009

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My girlfriend, 2 friends and myself stayed at the Sandman Airport Hotel in Calgary during our stopover flight back from Las Vegas. Now being it was simply for an overnight stopover I had little expectations to begin with, but this hotel certainly had a hard time reaching even the smallest of expectations.

The experience started off on a good note. We arrived at the airport and found a phone to call for the shuttle. We arrived in Calgary late night so we weren't sure if this was still operating, but surely enough a large shuttle van was at the airport within 15 minutes of our call. Once at the hotel the driver loaded our luggage on to a wheeled cart and we checked in at the lobby. We weren't aware but there was a charge of over $20 for the shuttle service (many hotels will offer this free with stay). Since we had no other option we paid at check in (having already generously tipped the driver prior to knowing of the charge...) and were given our room keys. We waited for a few moments to see if anyone would assist with the cart still full of luggage, but were greeted with blank stares. So we wrestled the cart into the small elevator and dragged it to our room.

The room itself was dark, smelt like dirty socks, and the heat was jacked! Now it was a cool spring day and a little heat was necessary, but this is heat that wouldn't be needed unless it was -40 out! We had to open the windows to let both the smell and heat out of the room. The beds were very uncomfortable and were equipped with blankets that were quite aged and appeared to be something you would store in the trunk of your car in case of being stranded or something. The bathroom was ok, nothing special, but nothing wrong with it either...

The next morning we checked out and headed back the the airport. There were some nice touches, like express check out, and they has a small island with coffee and small snacks available in the lobby. If only they made staying as enjoyable as leaving, I would consider coming back!

Overall it was not a great hotel. There are locations both closer to the airport that probably also offer better quality. If you get it for a great rate then obviously it will do for a quick sleep, just don't have any expectations...

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank cal_dude7
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I stay at this hotel every time I’m in Calgary so I thought I would finally write a review on it. On my most recent trip my room wasn’t ready when my group started to check in, I said it wasn’t a big deal and would just check in later and the girl at the front desk said she would just upgrade me to make things easier. So a good start right off the bat. Room was nice and clean, on the 4th floor so it was pretty quite as well. Having a Moxie’s in the hotel is a huge plus for me, good place for drinks before heading out to dinner, but having breakfast there is not the best when you’re looking for just a simple bacon/egg/toast meal. There is a reason I come back to this hotel and it has to be the overall feel, as mentioned earlier is clean, quite and it’s a great location.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Winterpeg8
Reviewed August 7, 2008

I stayed at this Sandman while in Calgary on business. I was there for about a week. The hotel is very new and very clean. Quite modern. The front lobby and check in was quick and easy. The staff were informative and friendly.

The room was beautiful. I had a junior suite and it was great. It had a separate sitting area, with it's own TV. The bedroom also had it's own TV. The bedroom area was a bit on the small side, but the sitting area more than made up for that. This room (and I think all of their rooms) had a plug for complimentary highspeed hookup. This was definitely a plus.

The hotel had a restaurant onsite (Moxies) and it definitely complimented the class of the hotel. There were also about 6-8 other restuarants all within a 5 minute drive from the hotel. The hotel is also very close to the Calgary Int'l Airport.

A very good experience!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)