“fantastic hostel”

HI-Calgary City Centre
Calgary, Canada
“fantastic hostel”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Ive stayed in a number of hostels around the world, but this one really is a cut above the rest. brilliant location a stones throw away from downtown. The hostel staff go out of there way to make your stay more pleasant. Jason and the gang are extremely helpful with information about tourist attractions and most importantly wheres good for a pint around the city!!. breakfast is included in your stay and the pancakes and muffins go down a treat. the hostel is spotlessly clean and there's a really good vibe around it.. there s a couple of common areas so its easy to meet follow travelers for a chat, i can t recommend it highly enough..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
HI-Calgary Host... M, Manager at HI-Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to leave us a review on trip advisor!

We're glad that you were able to take advantage of our central location and found the cleanliness of our building to exceed your standards. It's always a joy to hear that our staff was extremely helpful with information and made your stay a pleasant one! In addition, we're happy that you enjoyed our free breakfast and were able to meet other travelers in our common areas. Thank you for your glowing recommendation!

Happy trails,
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Edmonton
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I recently stayed at this Hostel on February 8 and 9, 2013. It is a very "sketchy" area of town because there are homeless shelters in the area and a lot of this type of people hanging around. The first night looked to be a nightmare with a drunken man and woman downstairs falling around. It was very unacceptable, especially as I had my 9 year old son with me. It was very noise, and stunk like fish just after we'd arrived around supper. I almost turned an walked out the door. However, we did stay. With the drunk woman and man in the common room downstairs we went to bed around 9:30 10: 00. I could very easily still the couple yelling and making a lot of noise downstairs and went and shut all the doors myself. I finally ended up going to management and complaining about the woman and the noise level. I asked if they did adhere to the quiet times of 11:00 pm and they stated they did. At 11:00 the staff did just as they said. So shortly after that we got to sleep. I have no complaints of the migrant workers there, they were fine, however, I don't know where this couple came from, but they should have been ousted long before we arrived as they were completed drunk when we arrived in the early evening. That is my biggest complaint. There is tons of construction all around the Hostel, but this is because they are redoing the whole surrounding area to put in new homes and development, which will in the long term be helpful to the hostel. The staff was excellent, the breakfast sufficient, and I found it to be acceptably clean. They must, MUST, keep the riff raff out though as this is not a positive experience. The second night was excellent. The couple seemed to have left and the hostel was very normal. There were minimal cooking utensils, no bleach (the dishrags needed to be bleached), but otherwise it was acceptable. Again, wonderfull staff.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HI-Calgary Host... M, Manager at HI-Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel.

I am sorry to hear about your experience the first night, some people do get a little rowdy, but we do what we can to keep it under control. I will be meeting with the staff to discuss this issue specifically so we can better manage these situations in the future.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, and really happy that you liked the hostel staff. I’ll look into restocking the cooking utensils. All dishcloths and towels are replaced with fresh ones daily, but they do get skunky pretty quick during the day as more and more people use them. We’ll double our efforts on that front.

Hope to see you again soon.

Regards,
Colin Middleton
Assistant Manager
Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Location is amazing, right by city hall c-train which is free downtown. Easy to get anywhere in the city. 5 minute walk to Stephen ave and close enough to walk to 17 ave which is the main bar area. I've stayed in hostels throughout the world, and this one ranks right up with the best. Clean, great common areas, friendly and informative staff. The beds are comfortable, real mattresses!! Not those foams ones you often find. Large lockers in the rooms. The largest rooms have just 6 beds which is great. And a really good free breakfast daily with juice, coffee, tea. Highly recommend staying here

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank thirstybackpacker
HI-Calgary Host... M, Manager at HI-Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.

It is great that you were able to take advantage of our central location and enjoy the surrounding area! Thank you for the compliments on our staff, cleanliness, common areas, and rooms. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our free breakfast as well. We hope the rest of your travels are safe and enjoyable!

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Room I stayed in was a little dirty, (pistachio shells and a sock under my bunk) but that may have been because most of the other people in the room were long term guests, who'd been there a few weeks... so I'm not sure how often they clean the rooms. Other guests were friendly and nice though.

Bathroom was quite clean, and kitchen was moderately clean.

Lockers exist, but bring your own lock.

Breakfast provided was pancakes (make your own), bananas, pb & j, and somewhat uninspired muffins.

Location is very convenient, but also a little sketchy if you're a female heading there alone at night. (That corner of downtown is deserted at night, and there were people who seemed a little sketchy wandering around nearby.)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
HI-Calgary Host... M, Manager at HI-Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review.

The rooms get cleaned daily. We are glad to hear that you found the kitchen and washrooms' cleanliness up to your standards.

The hostel's location is just on the edge of downtown and this usually results in a quieter environment in the evening. I assure you though, the area is safe.

We're glad that you were comfortable and found the guests friendly and the location convenient. Hope to see you again next time you come through town!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

When I first got into this hostel, I was feeling uneasy because of the long travelling day I had gone trough. The staff over there quickly made me much more comfortable, taking the time to explain to me all that was possible to do, in a friendly way. The atmosphere of the place is really nice as you get to meet a lot of people. Downtown Calgary is near and accessible. In this hostel, you get to have a nice breakfast everyday, rooms are clean and staff is comprehensive. I'll be sure to go back there if I ever go back to Calgary. Thanks!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for leaving us a review on tripadvisor.

We are glad that our staff was able to help you plan your activities and make you feel comfortable after a long day of traveling. Also, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed our accessible location, free breakfast, and the atmosphere of the hostel. Your kind words are much appreciated! We hope to see you again in the future!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you are heading to Calgary for any reason, this is a perfect place to stay. The staff are superb.
They are friendly, and courteous; looking for ways to make guests feel cozy and at home. An example of what I mean when I say this follows. On my first day here, an patron of the hostel was running late, & needed to catch a flight home. Jumping to the occasion, a staff member took the patron to the airport in person, because time was short. While that level of service obviously could not happen all the time, it demonstrated the character here. Rooms and entire building is kept clean and well maintained. Excellent value, and a city with much to see and do in or nearby.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
HI-Calgary Host... M, Manager at HI-Calgary City Centre, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review for us here on trip advisor. We appreciate your compliments to the staff and are glad to hear you felt right at home. We pride ourselves on our helpful and friendly team here at HI-Calgary. We're happy that you found our building to be clean and well maintained as this is another factor we take seriously here. Hope to see you again soon!

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stay at the hostel very regularly.. And the staff are an awesome bunch of people.. They upkeep the building very well.. I like the new. Renos that they have just recently done :). It is located right near the core of the city and there's a train that goes by it often.. Growing up near the train tracks doesn't bother me. Ilove the sound of trains.

• Stayed January 2013
Thanks for leaving a review! We're happy that you enjoy our central location as well as the recent renovations that we've made within the hostel. Thanks for staying with us and we hope to have you back again!