“You will frequent here if you try it”
Review of Shiraz

Shiraz
Ranked #1,504 of 3,684 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 11 Ave NE
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have been in this place a couple of times now and each and every time we loved it. The atmosphere and décor is warm, cosy, quiet, welcoming and friendly. They are fully licensed, tried their wines and new flavoured imported beers. Owner/operator run the place and provides excellent service. They are very friendly and helpful and give best advice and information. Their service is quick.
The food is fantastic and large size at reasonable price. Try their eggplant appetizer which I read in a local magazine that won the first prize for the best appetizer in a contest where all big name chefs were attending. Most of the main dishes are different combinations of chicken, beef, lamb, ground beef and ground chicken barbequed on metal skewers served with barbequed vegetables (onion, pepper, tomatoes, etc.) with saffron rice. Other main dishes are different stews including an amazing pomegranate/ground walnut stew, okra stew, celery stew and eggplant stew all served with saffron rice. I loved their lamb shank, try it you’ll love it. They also have “Persian fusion” pizzas that I have not yet tried.
Desserts are also unique there: the local Avenue Magazine recommended trying the Saffron-pistachio rose water ice cream, we did and it tastes phenomenal.
All prices are very reasonable and actually if you factor in the great food, atmosphere and service. If this place was in a more trendy 4th street, 17th Ave., Kensington or downtown you could not find a table without a well advance reservation. It is one of the best places for family dining, business dining or dining with friends in town.

1  Thank Meron

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We went here after trying them at Taste of Calgary last year. We loved the eggplant dip; that dip is seriously a dish I find myself craving - so warm and creamy and just a perfect combination of flavors and texture. I wish we enjoyed our entrees as much as the appetizers, because I think we would find ourselves frequenting this place far more often. But maybe I should have asked for a suggestion on what to order because I'm not familiar with Persian cuisine. These guys can cook and I'm sure they have some phenomenal entrees as well.

The service was great. We were personally cared for by the owner as well, really appreciated that extra care and attention.

If you're in the mood for something different, try this place, we liked it.

1  Thank Angela M
Reviewed July 4, 2012

First time visit to this great spot. We were served by the owner who was very welcoming, almost like we were guests in his home. Food was fantastic, with prices very reasonable. Try the Saffron -pistachio ice cream for dessert, sounds wierd, tastes phenomenal. The owner gave us a full explanation about the food and all the ingredients as my wife does have some food allergies. Not only helpfull but very interesting. The place was busy but if this was in Kensington or 17ave it wouldbe lined up down the street. We will be back and soon.

2  Thank kevin r
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Our first taste of Persian cuisine and it was amazing. Wednesday night was quiet. Food and service were fantastic. Large entree servings left us enough for a tasty lunch. The owners are very friendly and helpful. Proud of their unique dishes - Persian pizza, made-in-house ice cream.
A must try.

2  Thank KnB_CDN
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Visit Shiraz for a unique food experience. Many of the dishes are family recipes like the pizzas and the rose water pistachio ice cream. The owners/operators are friendly and welcoming and the atmosphere is nice for a night with family and friends or a date. Call ahead for a reservation if you would like a booth :)

2  Thank TheVeggieNomad