“A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE”

Courtyard by Marriott Calgary Airport
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

we booked to stay here for one night, based on the reviews it sounded like a good place to stay near the airport. Check in was good, the room ok, it was only when we asked for help on how to get transport to the downtown area that it all went wrong. The hotel is located in an area of factories - an industrial estate, unless you have a car you cannot leave, there are no footpaths and no public transport nearby. The hotel does not offer a shuttle or car service to the downtown area. We took a cab to the CTrain station to go in, and on the advice of the receptionist did the same to come back, we called the hotel as advised to ask them to get a cab to pick us up, a very unhelpful receptionist called Mandy refused to call the cab, it was 35 degrees and we are stranded at the station, I even call the hotel manager called Caitlin who says she doesn't know what to do and can't help us. When we get back to the hotel the manager stands and argues with us in reception, shouts at us and allows Mandy the other receptionist to also join the arguement. A very unpleasant experience only resolved when we call the general manager who apologises and deals with the reception staff, removing Mandy from reception. I will never stay in this hotel again, I won't stay in a Marriott Courtyard Hotel again either.

• Stayed: July 2013
Richard M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me during your stay. I do apologize for your experience and I recognize that your experience was frustrating, less than satisfactory and took up much of your personal time. I have personally reviewed your issues with my team and we have accordingly provided additional staff training and implemented procedures that will avoid issues in the future when dealing with transportation between the hotel and the nearby train station. Our associates have embraced the additional training and the new procedures and regret the incident.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott Calgary Airport

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We had a problem while staying at this hotel, it was not dealt with well we asked to speak to the Duty Manager who was very patronising and unable to deal with things, she set up a very confrontational situation with the other members of staff in reception and we felt ganged up on by the staff. She cared more about not being overheard by other guests than about making sure out complaint was dealt with properly. In the end we had to call the General Manager to come and sort out the problem as she was unwilling to help, he very quickly apologised and resolved the issues - this whole thing took 2 hours out of our time simply because the reception staff were unwilling to accept that they had made a mistake.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Liam D
Richard M, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Calgary Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me about your experience and thank you for giving me the opportunity to apologize when you were here at the property. As you noted during our conversation, the property has receive positive comments regarding the quality of product and service at the property yet we failed to accomplish this for your stay. Based on your feedback I have reviewed the issues and I am confident that a similar situation will not occur in the future. We have accordingly provided additional staff training and adjusted procedures related to dealing with taxis and train service between the property and downtown locations.
I can appreciate your desire not to return to this property based on your experience while noting that the team here at the property strives on a daily basis to provide positive experiences on a daily basis as do all our properties. We appreciate your business and once again my apologies and thank you for the opportunity to speak with you directly when you were here at the property.
Regards, Richard

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. For an airport hotel, I would say that the location, free parking, and free airport shuttle are excellent indispensables. We arrived early, and though we were told that no rooms were available when we called for the shuttle from the airport, by the time we set foot in the lobby half an hour later, there was a room waiting for us. The design of the lobby, the business amenities, the in house Starbucks cafe, a nice gym and pool on the property made us very excited for our choice in hotel. We were particularly impressed with the computer terminal and printer dedicated to travelers needing to print out their boarding passes. As for the room, the bed was comfy, and the glass shower was the only one that I'd ever used in my numerous hotel stays that kept water in, and we didn't end up with water all over the bathroom floor post-shower. Of course the free wi-fi helped us stay connected and the signal was robust in all areas of the hotel. Thank for such a comfortable and memorable stay!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Classybabe99
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here on two seperate nights: one night on arrival to Calgary airport and the night prior to leaving. The hotel is nice and clean and the staff was super friendly! Check-in was prompt as was check-out. We were able to print our boarding pass at the business centre. The lobby area is nice with a fireplace, tv's, and lounge/bar area. A Starbucks is located inside the hotel and they also have breakfast there. Both rooms were similar. We did notice that our room facing the airport was noisier than the one facing the front of the hotel. We also enjoyed the Moxie's restaurant across the road. We also noticed quite a difference in price between a weekend stay and a week night stay. We would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue217
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Prompt free airport pick-up service and friendly check-in.
A fairly new hotel. Our room was fabulous and very spacious! Overlooking the golf-course (this was entertaining to watch!)
The rooms were very quiet both from outside noise and adjoining rooms.
WiFi was faultless and can be accessed in room. Ice machine provided near the lifts and bar fridge in room. It was handy to see a mini-supermarket in the foyer to purchase essentials and/or snacks. Also handy is the coin-operated washing machines and dryers.
We had dinner in the lounge and it was reasonably priced given that guests have limited options available to them. We were impressed by this.
Shuttle to airport takes 15-20 minutes, but I understand it will be quicker when airport roadworks have finished. We used the airport courtesy phone to contact hotel to be picked up.

Room Tip: The cleaners lift is noisy - request a room away from it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 4evaLuv-Holidays
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed one night at the Marriott before moving to the Delta Airport - and I say "too bad". Our travel plans were changed last minute due to the flooding down town. My work had delegates coming from a great distance and could not cancel the seminars. They relocated us last minute from the downtown to the Marriott and then the Delta. The short stay at the Marriott Courtyard was very nice. A large room, very clean, and very well appointed. The check- in gentleman bent over backwards to make sure that I had everything before going to my room ( and with a genuine smile). Food at the restaurant was good. Atmosphere as pleasant. I wish my work booked us there for the week instead of moving us. I understand the extenuating circumstances, and can appreciate the fact that we were able to still come into Calgary at all. Sincere condolences to those who lost so much from the floods,

Room Tip: I don't think you have to worry about getting a good room. My work colleagues were also complim...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank IslandGardener
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed here in May 2013 and we were surprised by the conference facilities here. There are big screen TVs in the rooms and in the lobby and lounge. The staff was friendly and attentive. The rooms are comfortable and modern. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family