“Tapas nevertheless”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between 4th Street & 5th Street SW
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I am not a tapas person. I'm old school and prefer a beginning, middle and end to my meals. I find ordering of tapas dishes slightly confusing - never sure if I've ordered too little or too much and as the meal progresses forgetting what is still to come. The small portions are at times insufficient.
After eating at Ox and Angela I might be undergoing a conversion - if I can find any others of this genre like it. This is truly an excellent restaurant and in my experience the best that I have experienced in Calgary and one of the best that I have eaten at in Canada. It is probably sacrilegious to say that I enjoyed Ox and Angela more than any of the restaurants in Spain that I have visited over the years. I will probably be banned from Spain now.
Every one of the dishes that we ordered was creative, well-presented, flavorful and a pleasure to eat. This was the unanimous feeling of all the members of our party. I won't even try to single out one over the other. Everything was delicious and there is enough variety to satisfy almost every preference.
I was still a bit confused with the ordering process and who ordered what as the dishes arrived at the table. In the end we shared everything and ordered "refills" as needed. In the end, nobody was left hungry.
The restaurant offers a relatively extensive wine list representing the major wine producing countries and we went for a couple of bottles of a Bordeaux melange - great!
My dessert was, expectedly, a slight letdown. I gave churros another chance and they were well made, but they remain what they are - fried dough with a nice chocolate sauce. I won't try them again.
Service was professional, friendly and knowledgeable.
The place is a little noisy, but I didn't feel that this was a significant issue. At the same time it might be problematical for an intimate tete a tete. Apart from that, the decor is pleasing and the seating comfortable.
We will undoubtedly go back to Ox and Angela and recommend it wholeheartedly to others.

3  Thank wolfman50
There are newer reviews for Ox and Angela

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We didn't enjoy how noisy the Resturant was. Instead of yelling across the table to communicate with my wife, we texted each other.

The mushroom toast was very good but the rest was really average.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Love this place. It is a favourite Friday night spot for my husband and I. We recently got back from Spain and then ate at The Ox and Angela a couple of weeks after our return. We had been there many times before, but now we had the opportunity to try it after having had "the real thing". I'd like to say it reminded me of our meals in Spain, but it doesn't. It is better. On our last visit we had the new tapas menu with about 8 (or so, I don't remember the number) different items that is prix fixe. So. Good. Love their cocktails. Really great imaginative flavour combinations and not overly sweet. Do yourself a favour and have the mushroom and egg tapas with truffle oil. We have eaten at OandA and ordered 2 rounds of that one. Delicious.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I had a nice light dinner here. Great tapas and an extensive wine list. Excellent service. Highly recommend if looking for a differentt dining experience.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Having recently returned from a wonderful experience in Spain, I was pleasantly surprised by the ease in which this restaurant transported me back. From the first bite, I was sitting in one my favorite restaurants in Barcelona. The service is flawless, beyond flawless... the meal exquisite..the scallops, the beef, and oh my goodness the ham.....And don't forget the tomatoe bread. A beautiful and perfect reminder of a trip to remember!