“Delicious food but lacking in other areas”
Review of Borgo - CLOSED

Borgo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beltline
Description: Calgary. Website Tells It All.
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Was there for the 2nd time and equally not impressed with the service. The food is really good, great variety on the menu....the risotto balls and crostino are a must-try!! And the pasta is also really tasty and good smaller portions. I really enjoy the tapas menu which i think makes it great for a date or a business dinner.
Now the service, throughout the evening there were 4 people servicing our table, which you would think would be good but it was confusing. At one point I asked for another glass of wine and it was a different person than who took my order so he tried to give me the table red when I was drinking a white by the glass. We had someone in our party with a nut allergy and when he asked what might have nuts in it as he took a bite of something that was bothering his throat, the guy didn't know and kept suggesting that it was the rosemary in one of the dishes. I'm sorry, what?? This guys telling you he's allergic to nuts, not rosemary....not impressed, especially considering they were told about the allergy at the time of our reso. Also, one of our servers was brand new and wasn't able to answer a lot of our questions regarding the menu, I would expect in a place like that, the staff would be trained exceptionally well prior to hitting the floor for the first time. It also took them awhile to clear our table of the first round of appetizer plates leaving it difficult to table the 2nd course of pastas that we ordered, although they did keep our drinks full which is key.
The atmosphere is great, decor is super funky with an industrial feel. The other limiting thing is that they don't take reservations all the time, it is limited to 5-630 which I might understand on a weekend, it shouldn't matter on a Tuesday night.
All in all I would recommend based off of food quality and atmosphere, just beware of the service!

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Sat at the bar, tried the focaccia. It was salted and had a floral taste, disconcerting

Had the sausage special, again spices did not fit my taste, other people might like it but it was a case of the chef and I disagree

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I was there with my husband and while the food was pretty good,but not remarkable, the service was very strange. Our server never acknowledged or spoke to my husband, and his attention to me was over the top. Likely won't go back.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We went with a group of seven and had the pre-set menu. Food was fantastic! Service was also great. Good atmosphere too!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Finally...Calgary can taste authentic Italian food. Superb menu that delivers exceptional quality.
Can't wait to go back!