“Quality of Sushi has gone down! Its cheap sushi - Price and Quality”

Kinjo Sushi & Grill - Dalhousie
Ranked #405 of 3,682 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have been to this location before and thought it was good value sushi however after visiting this location after a long time I did not like it. The only thing I do like is the physical appearance and ambiance of the restaurant.

Here is some pricing info: They food is prices by the color of the plate.

Green Tea is 1.50
2 pieces of salmon nigiri is 3.25
California Rolls - 4 per plate 3.25
Grilled LOng Bean 4.80
Chicken Fried Rice 4.80
Yam Rolls - yam was cold and tempura was not crispy - 4 pieces - 3.25
Avacado Maki - 6 small pieces with barely any avocado - 3.25

Of all the food we ordered out favourite dishes were the the appetizers Green Beans and Fried Rice.

The Rolls were too dense of rice. We tried the California roll in brown rice and there was such a thick layer of rice that it tasted like puffed wheat cereal. I have had brown rice sushi before and usually you cant tell but KINJO is using another type of brown rice and they are using too much of it per a roll. They also charge you an extra 10% for it.

Avacado rolls have such a small amount of avacado. Yam Tempura Rolls are cold. Usually the yam tempura rolls are warm with crispy tempura but this seemed like it came out of the fridge and was precooked.

We went on a weekday during lunch so I don't know if that had something to do with the difference in quality.

The left side of the restaurant was open with all the customers and they tried to sit us on the right side by the kitchen isolated in the corner. We later saw that booth on the other side were open so we requested to sit there.

Overall experience was 7/10. Quality has gone down since the last time I visited.

1  Thank Deevanee

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Honestly, I usually am not inclined to write reviews on businesses, but I was so blown away with this place that I needed to review. I was in town for the day, and wanted to go for Sushi and when I stumbled upon Kinjo I was amazed. We got free samples of various rolls, free edamame beans as well as a free dessert. Our meal was very fast to arrive, the service was top notch and it only came out to under 20 dollars to be stuffed.
Do not miss out on this place, you need to go!

2  Thank Billy W
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been visiting Kinjo's for years. Every guest is treated as a family and every meal is an entertaining experience. Peter-san is an amazing host, who cares about diner's enjoyment.

Food is remarkably creative, and very reasonably priced.

The restaurant (Dalhousse) is beautifully appointed, I truly recommend it - don't miss it!

3  Thank DVS011
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My sister and Mom come here alot and my Mom said what a great job they do with the kids. Im used to pretty quiet Japanese RestaurantsAction of the chef from Japanese Village. So my sister was has her kids birthday here and what a great breath fo fresh air. You order food from menu and then place on order sheet you give to the waitress. Then your food dribbles out little by little. They sing for your birthday and special occasions. Staff was excellent, great service, great food, very attentive staff. Kids were given a fruit plate with an orange carved to look like a pumkin and a box Pocky (like a pretzel biscuit with Strawberry coating for desert. Kids enjoyed themselves which made it good for the adults. Will visit again with my wife this time. Not as stuffy as a lot of other Japanese restaurants. And Peter was great too.

1  Thank Gibber1968
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Kinjo is a tapas style restaurant. I have been here multiple times and each time, I walk out of there more disappointed. The little dishes of sushi and rolls taste lovely but the portions are small considering the price (after $25 per person, you're not exactly all that full). I'd rather go over to Sakana Grill in Crowfoot for larger portions and cheaper prices. We have also ordered small dishes like the stir fried vegetables, salad, teriyaki chicken/beef, yakisoba noodles, udon noodles, tempura. All good but nothing to rave about.

One time, my sister and I went there for lunch with our mum. We were wrapping up our meal and awaited for our bill when we saw Peter Kinjo doing his rounds. He was handing out his usual Pocky but each table had to "earn" it. The table next to us, they looked like a couple. Peter goes up to them and tells the gentleman to say "I love you" to his significant other. Embarassingly enough, the lady that was with him was his sister. Awkward...

He approaches our table and asks my sister and I to profess our love to our mother in front of everyone. You have to understand that coming from the Chinese culture, we don't exactly do the hug, kiss, hand hold thing nor have we ever and I mean EVER say "I love you" to our relatives. I have never seen my parents hold hands, kiss or say that to one another. I am SURE that Peter Kinjo knows this very well and decided to make this the most uncomfortable experience at a restaurant.

We sat there silently (you can hear crickets chirping) and my sister and I slowly turn beet red while he yelled, demanding that we say it to our mother in front of everyone. We were so embarassed being put on the spot like that with everyone starring at us wondering what was going on and Peter finally just said "Well, too bad. You don't get your Pocky" and walked away. The whole experience made me feel like a young child being scolded and taunted for not doing what I was told to do.

I have never been so mortified before at a restaurant and I will never go back to Kinjo because of this bad experience. Peter Kinjo is a disrespectful and arrogant individual who truly does not deserve all the praise he gets from here.

4  Thank cale_corn