“Everyone has their own flair!”

The Keg Steakhouse & Bar Marlborough
Ranked #324 of 3,645 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Unlike the Keg restaurant at the Banff Caribou Lodge, where ambience and cozy are abundant, this Keg in Marlborough offers a very busy and rushed environment. This could be deemed as a good thing for the management as all they may see is $$ potential going thru the roof! Unfortunately the consumer who sits and waits for a table has the option of eating or waiting in the lounge which is what my wife and I chose to do. When we first sat down, it was pretty relaxed. That soon changed to rushed when the crowd intensified and the waitress staff got frizzled. We were not attended to the way a $100 food bill would demand a customer get treated, having to wait periods of time for drinks and attention from her. All in all the food was great, and it provided what I would expect where Kegs are concerned. Is other a solution to a popular restaurant who can't help that so many people like eating there? No. Nor do I expect one. I'll still go back! But just beware of the wait times and frazzled staff when busy.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We arrived earlier than the time we had reserved and were promptly told we had missed our time and would have to take an awkward table set up with a chair in the serving aisle from the hostess and wait with those who failed to make advance reservations. After seconds of thought I asked for the on site manager who I explained how the reservation was made and how the person had repeated my last name, the time, and my home phone number back for verification purposes. The error was there’s. He said, “Give me the full time left before our reserved dining time and I will fix this” He did.

I love a slow leisurely dinner but this was slightly more drawn out than I expected. When the appetizers came one was undesirable in taste, quality of cooking, and appearance so it was removed the other crab cakes were shared by all five of us. There were also Caesars salads that past inspection at this delivery time. Between our seating time and our dinner being presented it was a full eighty minutes a little longer than we had planned. When the meat dishes came to the table the two medium rare were so well that there was no more juice; just dried meat. Later one other meal the Rib steak happened to be flipped over a third way through the meal by one of my guests and the underside hid a charcoal burnt entrée. This was pushed aside immediately. As for the meat we were hungry and showed the waiter but did continue eating our food.

The final result we had a discount for the rib steak and for the one appetizer from the final bill. At all times service was slow but we were looked after by the waiter. The Keg did better than some restaurants I have patronized but far less than I had anticipated based upon past service at this chains other fine restaurants.

1  Thank honydo
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This week my wife and I, accompanied by a friend from BC had an early-evening dinner at the Keg Marlborough. It had been a couple of years since we were last. We had Brendan as a waiter, and he was simply excellent. Knowledgeable, friendly, good sense of humour, and exercised just the right amount of attention. I had the prime rib, and the others had sirloin steaks. All meals were cooked exactly as we liked them, and was reasonably priced. The atrmosphere remains pleasant, and has that wonderful "steak house" aroma. Wine selection is reasonably varied, and moderately priced. Dessert (apple crumble) was sized right for the 3 of us.

1  Thank TimberTom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We ate a delicious dinner here with family. The steak was top-notch. My Zesty salmon was perfect, and mom loved the Thai Chicken dish. The atmosphere is friendly. The building is getting old and isn't perfectly clean anymore.

1  Thank Trish B
Reviewed October 4, 2012

i ordered the steak and baked potaote and it took 45min if it was good then it be ok but the steak was so bad like overcookedand not seasoned and potaoe was ok and it is really pricey too but i did not want to send it back cause i really did not want to wait anither 45 min. M y girlfriend order the same thing and it was jsut as bad so it was really dissapointing i will never go bad again

2  Thank henry n

Been to The Keg Steakhouse & Bar Marlborough? Share your experiences!