“Quick and Deilcious Poutine”

The Big Cheese Poutinerie
Ranked #451 of 3,575 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Beltline
Calgary, Canada
“Quick and Deilcious Poutine”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

What is Poutine? Well, simply it is cheese (curds) and fries, with gravy on top. Aside from the authentic regions where it originated from, there is not a whole lot of restaurants serving this dish, not to mention specializing in it.

The Big Cheese is all about Poutine, and nothing else. You can get a regular or large size for $5-8 and $7-9 CDN respectively.

What makes it great, is that it tastes fantastic and you can choose from 20 pre-made ones or create your own. You can have Yam Fries, or potato. You can have chicken, beef, pork with various sauces and spices. Some even come with extra vegetables or other things in the case of Nacho Poutine, which has sour cream, onions and salsa.

This place is fast food and mainly take out and open at 11:00 roughly and closes at 4:00am at night. It is very good after the bar and is on 17th Avenue, a road filled with pubs, bars, cafes, and restaurants.

Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank b_red_l

Brisco, Canada
“Meh.”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I felt I should probably review this "poutinerie" since I've eaten a fair share of poutine in my days and well, cheese is my thing. First I am a little ticked off by the fact that you eat in to go containers with pastic forks, I do realize that this means no dishes but come on, how hard would it be to clean plates and forks for "eat in" customers and help out the ol' environment. I can't even imagine the amount of garbage this produces in a single day, sort of sad. The last reataurant that was in this spot did well with regular dishes, I'm pretty sure this place could pull it off. Pricewise it's not cheap either. I paid $8 for a tiny poutine with the smallest amount of chicken,caramelized onions and curds, it was so salty I could not finish it and the peppercorn sauce was nothing to write home about. I also tried the bacon, peas and caramelized onion poutine which was just as crazy salty but slightly a better deal and more flavourful. I think this place is mostly catering for young adults and teens from the shcools in the vicinity...Considering the amazing food choices in the area, I will probably not visit the Big Cheese again.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank ilovefromage
Thorold, Canada
“you like poutine and greay service? this is your joint”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I love this place, it is small but super friendly and everyone that is eating there is happy and funny, that was my impression. I went and got a regular poutine and my friend with a gluten allergy could eat here because they have gluten free gravy! We got pickles too, they are like one dollar and the are the size of your whole hand. The poutine was hot and fresh, the pickle was super yummy. The service is amazing, they are so family-like. I will go back.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank keegancomfort
Toronto, Canada
“Mmmmmmmmm”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Who doesn't love a bowl full of french fries, cheese curds and pretty much any other topping imaginable?! I had the veggie nacho poutine and it was excellent. If you're going for lunch get there early before the highschool kids start their lunch break. But if you're going after a bar, it's open late and it's a perfect late night snack.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank CY2
Calgary, Canada
“Worth a Try”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Take a stroll down 17th Avenue, if you are looking for a quick bite and happen to pass by the The Big Cheese Poutinerie it would be worth your while to check in . Just located a few doors down from the Melrose Cafe, it's hard to pass by without noticing the mouth watering aroma and the big plaid awning flaring off the building.

It was slightly crowded with a small line up which is a good indication that I had arrived at the right place. I had been hearing mixed reviews and had to try it for myself. We ordered two small sized poutine's, the portions were perfect for the two of us to share. There was good flavor in both, I enjoyed the "Notorious P.I.G." over the "Veggie Nacho". I found the two to be a great combination, we decided it was best to go with one that was heavy and the other... slightly heavier. Nice setting, good flavors, but eat it fast or be prepared to grab a spoon for some potato soup in a box.

Summary
It's a nice venue to check out and open late on weekends. I would recommend trying it out, but I wouldn't say it fully satisfies my craving for a good traditional Montreal poutine. It's definitely great to see a new fast food restaurant that is unique and non franchised. Not that I have anything against franchises, it's just nice to have some variety and competition. It keeps vendors on their toes, which means higher food quality at reasonable prices.

• Visited April 2011