“The same problem again”

Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South
Ranked #42 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 12, 2011

We stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago when we got there they gave us 4peeson room even though the reservation was for 6. I had booked a roomtgat had2king beds and a sofa bed we got one king bed and a sofa bed. They said it was my fault because I should have phoned instead of booking on the Internet. We are here again and this time I did phone and we still got the wrong room. When I went to tell them they said that all the rooms I had booked where gone. How dies a hotel book too meany of one kind of room this is all done by computer now. They obviously gave my room to someone who did not book it.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Ketr
LMKnoll, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at our hotel. I apologize for the inconvenience of being placed in a room with two queen beds and a pull out sofa bed instead of the king beds you had originally booked.

Unfortunately we had an unexpected maintenance issue arrise and for the health and safety of you and our other guests, we had to take that room off market. We apologize that you felt we gave away your room. Rest assured, the safety of our guests is paramount to all of our employees.

Please feel free to contact us directly if you have any further comments or questions.

There are newer reviews for Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South

Reviewed September 1, 2010

This is a pretty good hotel, can't really fault it, definitely better than average. Only thing that didn't work properly was the clock/radio in the room. Beds were okay but nothing special. But it's clean, the breakfast was good and the staff were pretty good too. Location is the only thing that some people probably wouldn't like, it's in a residential area and located next to the South Calgary Health Centre and across from Shawnessy shopping centre. The fire station and police station are next door. So everything is to hand but it's not really a tourist hotspot.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank CS6
LMKnoll, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Calgary South, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. You are correct in saying we are not a tourist hotspot! Many of our guests like our close proximity to the offices in the area. We are also close to Spruce Meadows, home to world class show jumping and are in close proximity to the Calgary Stampede grounds and Scotiabank Saddledome.

Our maintenance staff has been notified of the clock radio not working and have made sure they are all in working order.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

My daughter and I tagged along with husband while he was on business for the oil show. I must say that my 9 yr old LOVED the hotel. They have a 3 story waterslide that is extremely fast and fun. There is a good workout room with a nice big HDTV with cable. I enjoyed working out as I have found that not all hotels put big tv's with cable in their exercise rooms. The rooms were spacious and clean and the staff was extremely friendly and curtious. On Wednesdays during the school year ONLY they serve a complimentary dinner. The week we were there they had hamburgers etc. They were also giving away door prizes. I thought it was a little odd and I asked what it was for but the manager stated that they do it every Wednesday excluding the summer months (the 1st week in June is when we were there and it was going to be their last event until the end of summer). Their continental breakfast is very good as well. Overall if we return to Calgary with him on business I dont think he will get out of staying here again. As far as reservations are concerned the hotel stated that they were fully booked when we called but we went through one of the discount reservation sites and booked it through them and they had a room for us when we arrived, odd again, but oh well. I recommend this hotel especially if you have young ones!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank kelerica

Thank you for your very kind words about our hotel. We strive to provide not only a good place for business travelers but a fun place for the families that travel with them!

We are glad you were able to be here for something we call Wingate Wednesday. This is when we invite all guests down to have a drink and a snack and meet our managers and the other guests in the hotel. This is our way to meet our guests and to say thank you.

We look forward to seeing you again during the petroleum show next year!

Reviewed July 12, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights with my toddler while visiting family. The room was attractive and very clean (sheets, carpet, bathroom). The people at the front desk were helpful and friendly. My daughter loved their pool and waterslide. The free breakfast was tasty and fresh. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennylark

Thank you for providing such a lovely review. We are pleased to continually hear good reviews from the families that stay with us. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed April 28, 2009

Just a quick trip to Calgary from Sask for a Firefighting interview. Staff at the from desk were always smiling and quickly anwered all our questions. The lady in charge of the breakfast went above and beyond what she is paid to do. She cared!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I booked my room on the hotel website and recieved and printed off my confirmation, but when my family and I arrived at the hotel there was no record of my reservation at the front desk. The staff was very helpful, but admitted that if you book online you should always contact the hotel directly an hour or so later to confirm that they recieved the reservation. Apparently there has been regular problems with the system. Luckily they were able to locate us a room but the kids had to share a hide-a-bed, which would not have been a big deal except the bed was torn out at the end and the matress hung through the frame to the floor. Since there was no other room, we put up with it, and did not recieve a discount. The waterslide is fun but the pool is very small and the jets did not work in the hot tub. Breakfast was very good, and the room was overall clean, warm, and quiet. This hotel is out of the way and is a $60 taxi ride from the airport, and they did not offer any shuttle service to cover this.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 17, 2008

I was impressed by the staff at this hotel. There was always a smiling face at the desk to help and the staff went to great lengths to accommodate us. I was there with 7 other people and we all had a great experience with this hotel. I wouldn't call it a luxurious hotel - the decor is quite dated and there is nothing romantic about the hotel but if you are staying for business or just visiting friends from Calgary (which we were) then it's a convenient place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family