“Love this place” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Worksop
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2007

Stayed on the 4th floor in a Kingsized room, (the receptionist gave me a choice of floors which was fabulous, i asked for the quietest which was floor4) Check in a pleasurable experience.

The room was spacious and very luxurious, cable TV and internet TV, although Internet TV wasnt that great @$9.95, very slow and hard to navigate around without a mouse. Although if you had a laptop you could get FREE wireless internet to your room. Microwave, Iron and ironing board also Coffee maker and large wardrobe space.

Bathroom (shower+bath) was really nice and clean, shampoo, conditioner, and body moisturiser supplied, along with hairdryer.

Complimentary breakfast, with varied choices, cereal, toast, waffles, bacon,eggs, soft drinks, coffee, etc,etc. Complimentary newspaper every morning at your door.

Free parking.

Has a ''traditional english pub'' opposite the Hotel which is nice to visit.

House keeping was efficient, they cleaned my room even when i left late around midday.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels, and this was probably one of the most pleasant i have stayed at, staff were very curteous, hotel was generally very quiet with no road noise outside.

• Liked — Complimentary breakfast, and the general cleanliness of the hotel was fabulous, great staff.
  • Disliked — Internet TV was slow and hard to navigate.
  • Tips/Secrets — Has a pool and water slide
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tdawber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Saskatchewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2006

I feel it is my duty to inform everyone that reads this site of the stay my family and I had at the Wingate Inn in Calgary on the 9th and 10th of November 2006.

We traveled 9 hours to attend a wedding in Okotoks Alberta on the 10th. We wanted to stay in Okotoks, but there was no hotel that we found that had a water slide for the children to enjoy. We then found the Wingate and thought it would be a good place to stay because it had a waterslide, and was also very close to the south end of Calgary.

After we checked in on the 9th, the children wanted to go water sliding, but we were informed by front desk that the waterslides were not in operation, and they would not be for our entire stay.

On Friday night (the 10th) I wanted to use the in room internet service because I do business online. I called the front desk to order it, and was told that the internet service was unavailable.

On the morning of the 11th I was woken early by some misguided individual yelling very loudly in the room above us.

Those things were bad enough to make the stay less then pleasurable, but the real problem came when I ripped the bottom of my foot on a very sharp object sticking out of the carpet when leaving the bathroom in our room. The carpet was somewhat frayed, and the piece of steal that lies under the carpet to hold it down was exposed with several very sharp little spikes sticking out of the carpet. I ripped the bottom of my foot opened and it was bleeding.

All of the above is true. I read the warning about fake reviews. This is nothing but the truth. I showed the steal object problem to the manager on duty and he said they will have to get maintenance to fix the problem.

After all this, I would not recommend the Wingate Inn to anyone, for any reason. It was terrible at best.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — The piece of steal sticking out of the carpet in our room that ripped my foot open
  • Tips/Secrets — I strongly suggest you never stay at the Wingate Inn in Calgary
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Mr.Benes
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2006

I travel to Calgary twice a month from Edmonton for business and have stayed and many hotels over the past 2 years. The Wingate is now my #1 choice.

Access off Macleod Trail is not that bad just do a map search.

I was in a standard King room. Very very clean, large, great lighting and stocked with a mini fridge, coffee maker and microwave.

The front desk staff are very helpful. When I asked if they knew of any restaurants that deliver to the hotel they handed me a bundle of menues. The hotel also offers an express check out.

The full business center is a bonus.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank VacationNut
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2005

We just came back from a family holiday in Calgary. We were very happy with the Wingate Inn. The kids loved the pool and waterslide. The breakfast was good and the beds were very comfortable. Too bad it is so far south but it is new and very well kept. We used the discount at East Side Marios for dinner.

Stayed May 2005
4 Thank ekb12
Elk Valley, B. C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2005

I stayed a night at the Wingate on March 5 2005...a very nice business hotel: room was a mini-suite with tv internet. Great kingsize bed. It is a bit awkward to get to off of MacLeod Trail. Shopping plaza with a large cinaplex across busy MacLeod Trail. Free continental breakfast with stay. Although it is a business hotel...it has a indoor water slide and the weekend I was there there were lots of families with kids...maybe during the week it is quieter. It is on the southern edge of the city, so not the most convenient for any downtown activities. Very nice property.

• Stayed March 2005
4 Thank EastKootenayVisitor
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2004

We had the fortune of staying at the Wingate hotel for the August long weekend in 2004.
The staff were amazing and very helpful. The breakfast in the morning was great!
The room was very clean and my family and I have never stayed at a better place!!
Great job and thank you!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2004

roomy clean rooms but the big draw was the great continental breakfast with everything from cold cereal to hot fresh waffles in a pleasant lobby dining area! I'd stay again!

• Stayed August 2004